• March 29, 2024, 06:35:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To R or Not to R?  (Read 867 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
To R or Not to R?
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »

That is the question.

When thinking about an S or DS, should one consider the SR or DSR is the larger question.

Why or why not?

Has it been discussed before?  The search function wasn't helpful with such short words.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: To R or Not to R?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:18:58 PM »

Well no real secrets to discuss, the stats on the bikes' range of models are pretty clear.  Once you've test rode them to let your mind wrap around what those torque numbers feel like you know which one is best for you.
The only draw back of an "R" model that I've heard of is an increase in insurance cost.  And higher cost of the "R" bike of course.
The bikes ability to switch modes and dial down the top speed and torque values on the app means even a new rider can have a R and just slowly build up to the full power when they're comfortable.  Worst case is the buyer never goes full power but the next guy who owns it might want to very much.

I wished they would drop the standard bikes and offer the "R" models listed under the standard  S and DS title for the insurance savings.
I don't feel a bike that goes less than 150MPH should be an "R" but that's just my feelings.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:49:01 PM by NEW2elec »

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »

Kinda curious to hear from those that have had both. 

Maybe some that went from a DS or S to an R model or vice versa and if it made any difference really.

I know the stats say they all have the same range, but wondering if the R models really deliver the same range in real world use.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:28:55 PM »

I started on a 2013 DS (26k miles) and moved to a 2016 DSR (39k miles now).

The range/efficiency is absolutely the same if you hold the throttle at the same input. I use an Atlas throttle lock and a crampbuster hand rest to smooth out throttle motions on the DSR to avoid spiking current to the motor, AND to not jerk my passenger around.

When I bought the DSR, the IPM motor was new and I opted for the DSR to get a better-longevity motor. It might also be helpful that the controller and cabling are more robust, in the long term. I like the idea of having equipment rated for more than I need, so the thermal/etc stresses are lower.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:12:12 AM »

I know the stats say they all have the same range, but wondering if the R models really deliver the same range in real world use.
I would say so, if both used the EXACT same way. No doubt the "R" will have less range when you use the extra power available.

Mine is almost always in the eco mode. I usually stay off the freeways until I must, with my electric bikes. I use my electric bikes mainly for the every day around town stuff and I find they take the place of my cars more so than they do my other bikes.  I really have no need for the "R", but the power is there for when I want it, which is very rare.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 05:03:03 AM »

Well WTF. Do you want to go fast or don't you? It's basically that simple.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:56 AM »

No doubt the "R" will have less range when you use the extra power available.

I hate to be a nitpicker, but it's not QUITE that simple. It is for an ICE, which becomes highly inefficient whenever you press that accelerator pedal hard (or twist the grip hard). But EVs don't; they're still quite efficient even at high throttle openings. Of course, if you accelerate harder, it draws more power, but for a shorter time until you get to your cruising speed. Because of the consistently high efficiency of the electric drivetrain, it really is almost a wash.

Almost the ONLY factors in an EV's range are cruising speed and drag.

Well WTF. Do you want to go fast or don't you? It's basically that simple.

To pick nits again, that's not really the right question. "Do you want the ABILITY to go fast or don't you?" is the right question. Nobody is going to tell you that you have to twist your right wrist. With the faster bikes, you have the option. That's how simple it is.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 07:23:14 AM »

But EVs don't; they're still quite efficient even at high throttle openings.
On our Zeros, we get about half the range every time we double the speed. That doesn't sound all that efficient to me at the  higher speeds.

That means if you're in a hurry to go a distance, go very slow. You will save more time by riding slow than by having to recharge longer.  At least in most cases.

I would say efficiency  is more important in an EV than it is with ICE.  We are efficient when we ride very slow. Not so much when we're riding fast.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »

Kinda curious to hear from those that have had both. 

Maybe some that went from a DS or S to an R model or vice versa and if it made any difference really.

I own both.  They are sitting side by side in my garage.  Get the R if you can afford it.  The DSR does everything the DS does and more.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

On our Zeros, we get about half the range every time we double the speed. That doesn't sound all that efficient to me at the  higher speeds.

That means if you're in a hurry to go a distance, go very slow. You will save more time by riding slow than by having to recharge longer.  At least in most cases.

I would say efficiency  is more important in an EV than it is with ICE.  We are efficient when we ride very slow. Not so much when we're riding fast.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Re-read what I said. Drivetrain efficiency isn't related to aerodynamic and other losses. You can accelerate as hard as you want to up to a 60 mph cruising speed, and you'll still out-range someone babying it up to a 65 mph cruising speed, every single time. Acceleration almost doesn't matter, cruising speed is by far the most important thing. That's why I say you can enjoy the power of the "R" models frequently, every day, and not even impact range or driving costs.

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »

Re-read what I said. Drivetrain efficiency isn't related to aerodynamic and other losses. You can accelerate as hard as you want to up to a 60 mph cruising speed, and you'll still out-range someone babying it up to a 65 mph cruising speed, every single time. Acceleration almost doesn't matter, cruising speed is by far the most important thing. That's why I say you can enjoy the power of the "R" models frequently, every day, and not even impact range or driving costs.
This has not been my experience at all.  3/10ths pace in Eco mode gives at least twice the range compared to 7/10ths in sport mode.  And have you gotten an insurance quote for the SR?  $177/month.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 02:18:11 AM »

You can accelerate as hard as you want to up to a 60 mph cruising speed, and you'll still out-range someone babying it up to a 65 mph cruising speed, every single time. Acceleration almost doesn't matter, cruising speed is by far the most important thing. That's why I say you can enjoy the power of the "R" models frequently, every day, and not even impact range or driving costs.
Yes and no. If you only accelerate fast  a couple of times, yeah, but only because it's only for a few seconds of excessive  battery drain.  Do it a lot and those seconds add up very fast to reduce the range.

On an electric motors, acceleration drains battery MUCH faster than cursing at a steady speed. It's just that the acceleration usually doesn't last long. Do it a lot and watch your range drop down a lot.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 05:21:05 AM »

Do it a lot and watch your range drop down a lot.

I've done that. Have you? Many days, on my commute to and from work, I'll accelerate to cruising speed at full throttle. It doesn't affect my state of charge when I'm done in the slightest.

Look, accelerating twice as hard in an ICE vehicle requires much more than twice as much fuel. That's because the efficiency of the ICE drivetrain goes down very fast at higher throttle openings. But accelerating twice as hard on an EV requires almost exactly twice as much current -- for half of the time, since you get up to cruising speed faster. Since the EV maintains its efficiency at high throttle openings, twice the current gives almost twice the acceleration.

If you have a repetitive drive, like a commute, do the experiment. Try accelerating hard some days and much more gently some days, but don't change your cruising speed. Then experiment with the cruising speed instead. You'll find, as I have, that acceleration speed virtually doesn't matter. It's the cruising speed that determines range, almost exclusively.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »

If you have a repetitive drive, like a commute, do the experiment. Try accelerating hard some days and much more gently some days, but don't change your cruising speed. Then experiment with the cruising speed instead. You'll find, as I have, that acceleration speed virtually doesn't matter. It's the cruising speed that determines range, almost exclusively.

Your explanation seems plausible to me. I want to try the experiment. But then what does ECO mode actually change? Just regen and max speed?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »

Your explanation seems plausible to me. I want to try the experiment. But then what does ECO mode actually change? Just regen and max speed?

That and the amount of, torque and power (and therefore acceleration), per degree of throttle rotation.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1] 2