• April 26, 2024, 10:12:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Washing road salt from the bike - cautions/suggestions?  (Read 412 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Washing road salt from the bike - cautions/suggestions?
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »

For those that ride in northern climates, what do you do to wash the salt off?  I've read the official and unofficial user manual regarding washing - basically don't use high pressure water or harsh chemicals. 

Are there particular areas to pay attention to specifically for prevention of salt corrosion?  Is it overkill to be thinking about taking the plastic off for a spring cleaning of the stuff I can't see?  I ride all weather and they use a ton of salt here for as little as it snows.  I haven't had issues just doing a routine wash with my ICE bikes in years past, but wondering if I need to be more concerned with the Zero.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Washing road salt from the bike - cautions/suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:44 PM »

I guess there are some specific concerns to call out, though I've never had to deal with salt:
- The rear drive (belt and sprockets) with a non-abrasive brush and water or other mild solvent.
- The underside / belly pan and the electrical connectors to the onboard charger.
- The front cover of the battery with the BMS underneath it.
- Very specifically, the plug to the DC converter on the left side of the frame behind the frame's shoulder arm. Definitely check the pins and connector for debris/corrosion. Do not clean that with water; you'll need a carefully insulated brush or other instrument. Faults in the DC converter from moisture and conductive material seem to cause all kinds of hard to diagnose problems.

Of course, every fastener and whatever flange or other bracket it fastens into should be at least visually checked for corrosion.

The question is how to clean all this effectively without using spray. But that's what I can think of.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:39:49 AM »

I would suggest washing like normal with a hose and whatever detergent you use since that's exactly like taking the bike out into a heavy rain which you would think it could handle being a street bike and all.

But, see all the people who had problems riding in heavy rain. Some have applied extra waterproofing to all the electrical connectors (a laborious undertaking) and reported success in staving off water induced electrical issues. So if you're going to ride the bike in harsh conditions it would probably be a good idea to strip her down, waterproof everything, then ride and wash without worries.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 05:03:53 AM »

I don't bother cleaning my bikes. I'll give them a bit of washing up liquid and a rinse to get the worst of the mud off, but maybe once or twice a year?  No real issues so far. A few fasteners etc get a but rusty, but it's only superficial.  I think people worry too much about cleaning bikes.  They get a wash when it rains, after a fashion.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 05:55:02 AM »

I definitely wash my bike after a seagull relieves itself on it, and I don't let mud or other debris cake on.

There's definitely a range of valid behaviors around washing bikes, and we all find ourselves with different behaviors and outcomes. The risks have to do with electrical connectors and inlets into sensitive areas, both regarding hose spray and things like road salt.

YMMV!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »

I’m like mostlybonkers. Except for salt. That stuff is evil.
Start with a gentle cold water rinse. That will get rid of most of the salt.
Too bad zeros have not come weatherproofed from the factory. We don’t all live in sunny Southern California.
Pages: [1]