• April 25, 2024, 07:08:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero installing old tires on new bikes?  (Read 923 times)

alko

• View Profile
Zero installing old tires on new bikes?
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:13:01 AM »

Just noticed some serious sidewall cracking on the rear tire of my 2017 DSR. I checked the DOT stamp on the tire and the last 4 digits are 4414 meaning they were manufactured during the 44th week of 2014. Safetywise thats unacceptable!
My front tire is better at 0716.
I don't think this would ever happen on a car.
Curious if anyone else has a similar situation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:24:50 AM by alko »

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: Zero installing old tires on new bikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:35 AM »

Your bike was new in 2016, I don't think that's a big deal. The tires will still outride your skill level and a little cracked rubber doesn't mean it's going to explode.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:03:11 AM »

The tires of my 2018 S, manufactured in November 2017, are 44/15 at the rear and 19/17 at the front.  I think I am seeing a trend here.   :(

Zero must have received a discount on two year old rear tires.  ::)

No cracking on my tires, but they are looking a little yellowish.  ???
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:48:12 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:41:35 AM »

Weird that the sidewalls showed cracking. 3 years is still new. It sounds like manufacturing defect, or poor storage conditions with exposure to heat/light, either prior to or after installation. Not confidence inspiring.

My Tundra tires started to show cracking in the sidewall around the 10 year mark when I replaced them. That was 10 years sitting in direct south-facing sunlight, so it was not too surprising.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:49:58 AM »

As mentioned in a previous thread, not necessarily to introduce chemicals to rubber.
MANY years ago, a lady friend was always using Armor All on the tires of her 350Z
I did nothing other than regular cleaning on my tires. We had installed the same tires
at similar times and hers started showing weather checking fairly quickly. Mine were
replaced years later without any of the same signs. If that is ALL it is, I have been told
that this isn't an issue for concern.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:11:18 AM »

The tires of my 2018 S, manufactured in November 2017, are 44/15 at the rear and 19/17 at the front.  I think I am seeing a trend here.   :(

What's interesting is they are cracked only on the left side. I would think the right side being tilted more to the sky would weather sooner. My bike was manufactured Nov 2016, so back tire was over 2 years old at time they were installed. I've had the bike a year and has always been stored inside.
At 4-1/2 years old, it shouldnt be cracked as bad as they are.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:17:40 AM by alko »

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »

I think the bigger problem is that you aren’t riding enough to have worn them out already.  :)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »

+1  Jnef

I think the law is you can't sale tires that are 6 years old.  Could be a little over filled or been up and down with pressure which will cause sidewall cracks as well.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 03:30:14 AM »

I just figured out how to post pics. I had to install an app to reduce size of pics enough to go on this forum.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 04:10:18 AM »

In this thread a owner complains that the rear tire on his new bike was 2 years old (or, pretty new) when the bike was sold, and is further incensed that tires don't last forever.

Am I missing something?

jbk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 04:14:55 AM »

In this thread a owner complains that the rear tire on his new bike was 2 years old (or, pretty new) when the bike was sold, and is further incensed that tires don't last forever.

Am I missing something?

An owner should expect more than a year before cracking that badly...  something happened to have quickly degraded like that.

But the answer is the ride more!  That solves everything, not just this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 05:24:08 AM »

Just purchased this from amazon to replace it. Had really good reviews. Has anyone else teied them?
Heidenau K60 Scout

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »

Just purchased this from amazon to replace it. Had really good reviews. Has anyone else teied them?
Heidenau K60 Scout

I have never tried those tires, but I have heard people say that they wear like iron and are very difficult to install because their sidewalls are so stiff.  Good luck and let us know what you think of them.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »

Well Alko I just checked my 2017 DSR and the tires are 4114 so they are even older than yours. 
But my sidewalls look brand new.  Not even tiny rubber crackle.  I may put a few thousand more miles on them and swap them out for tread wear.
My money is on my guess that tire sat completely flat for a period of time with all the bike's weight on it.  It could be a defective tire of course but if the front one looks fine I'd say the dealer let it go flat and could say "oh man I'd let you test ride it but..." or just didn't notice it.

All that being said/guessed at, I wouldn't ride on that tire if I were you.  When you said cracks I thought a little dry rot or salt wear but that does look bad.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

Well Alko I just checked my 2017 DSR and the tires are 4114 so they are even older than yours. 
But my sidewalls look brand new.  Not even tiny rubber crackle.  I may put a few thousand more miles on them and swap them out for tread wear.
My money is on my guess that tire sat completely flat for a period of time with all the bike's weight on it.  It could be a defective tire of course but if the front one looks fine I'd say the dealer let it go flat and could say "oh man I'd let you test ride it but..." or just didn't notice it.

All that being said/guessed at, I wouldn't ride on that tire if I were you.  When you said cracks I thought a little dry rot or salt wear but that does look bad.

Very possible, except it's cracked all the way around on that side. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:33:04 AM by alko »
Pages: [1] 2