• April 26, 2024, 12:10:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FX questions  (Read 1027 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
FX questions
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »

I am considering purchasing an FX and would likely buy a new 2019 if it all works out.  I have had 12 ICE motorcycles and currently have KTM 350 EXC-F and 690 Duke.  I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to respond or comment.

1.  The dealer closest to me is Capital City Motosports in Springfield, IL.  I have not visited them yet.  Does anyone have experience with this dealer?

2.  I would like to use the FX for trail work that our dirt bike club does in a Missouri state park – things like arrowing Enduro and Harescrambles courses, riding chase, pulling arrows after the event, and some trail maintenance.  Seems to me an EM would be excellent for arrowing.  I see me adding the chain kit but has anyone removed the underfender/tail lights and the headlight and used the bike without?  Is there anything in the management system that would preclude the bike functioning sans lights and turn signals?  Would running without the lights be neglible wrt range or would there be a benefit?

3.  I don’t see rim locks in the parts catalog but there is a note about them for 2015, 2016, and 2017 MMX.  Is it correct there are no rim locks on the FX?  Easy to add, just want to know.

4.  I would add bark busters – probably Tusk MX D-Flex or EE Evo 2.  There appears to room for them.  Has anyone tried either of these?

I did some searching in the forum but didn’t see much on these – sorry if I missed information already here.

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: FX questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

As someone that just bought a 2019 FX, I thought I might be helpful in this thread.  But after reading your questions, I don't have any good answers for those as I don't use mine for any of that.  You already know about the MMX, that's the one thing I'd mention.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:16:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum and maybe Zero motorcycles.
I have a couple of bikes in the DS range so I'll give you a little bit to chew on until a true FX rider pops on.
1. No I'm GA
2. Go to Youtube and search for "Matt Fish FX" and look at his old MY13 FX videos he has a long trail video that gives you a good idea what it's like to ride them.  Next I've seen MMXs for sale on Cycle Trader but not listed on the website I'm not sure if they are for the public or gov only.  As for pulling the lights I know the bike will still ride without the 12V system but you wouldn't get any noticeable range increase, the lights just don't pull much power.  The bike uses a DC-DC converter to power the lights and dash and when mine started to die the bike still ran fine.
3.  AFAIK the wheels use tubes still.
4.  Lots of different hand guards that guys on here have used but couldn't help with the models sorry.  I guess you just need the bar sizing bit it's pretty standard.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »

I have removed the undertail lights and the bike definitely works fine without. However - the tail is 2 pieces, the top cover being the one you see and the bottom is a big structural plastic piece that houses the tail light and turn signals. You dont HAVE to have it, but the tail is pretty flimsy without it.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »

- I have an FXS with adaptable bark busters. Works well !
- You dealer is not in my zone. But what you need to verify is how you will deal with the distance in case you have issues or in case the dealer closes - Zero is focused on making dealers sell new models, not supporting individuals.

You might want to start with a good bargain on a used model in good condition, before you bet 18.000$
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »

Thanks everyone - all this really helpful.  It will be a while but if I get to move ahead with buying an FX, I'll post how it's going.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:45:05 AM »

You will get a small range increase killing the 12v system but only if you're out for several hours with the bike turned on the whole time but not always riding.

If you don't plan to ride hard offroad or jump the bike, and you don't need to ride in anything deep, you can probably keep the belt. It's a lot nicer than a chain due to the quiet and total lack of maintenance if your use case permits.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »

You might want to keep the lights and plate, as you'd probably stop using the 690. Even my beloved 500EXC went by the wayside.

Maybe add a switch to turn the lights off, and do the tail reduction surgery?

I got the Zero accessory Cycra handguards (black) and they fit nice. I posted an installation article here.

Maybe you could be the first to build a guard for the belt/sprocket and not have to convert to chain. Making modifications seems like something up your alley. You would be arrowing in total peace. :)

Mine was $11000 minus $1100 EV rebate = $9900 (don't know where $18k comes from!)

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »

I got the Zero accessory Cycra handguards (black) and they fit nice.

I have these on my FX as well and they seem like quality accessories. 

Even my beloved 500EXC went by the wayside.

Really?  Would you mind posting some thoughts on comparing the FX to the 500 EXC?  I've wondered how they compare.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 02:04:34 AM »

Would you mind posting some thoughts on comparing the FX to the 500 EXC?  I've wondered how they compare.

The 500 EXC was my all-around commute bike and dirt bike from 2013-16. It was awesome with 180 mile range, mini luggage rack for multi-day dual sport rides, heated grips, etc. It was definitely not for highway use and I eventually blew a valve and warped the head on a trip in Death Valley. Amazingly, I had that repaired for less than $800. But it seems to run loud and eventually will blow up again. 11,500 miles on it now.

Since the Zero came along, the EXC has been reserved for dirt and long dual sport rides. I stopped swapping the dirt/street wheels on it, and just leave it in dirt mode. It runs pretty loud so I fear the engine could blow again and strand me. It does yield much better torque in 1st and 2nd than the FX, so it wheelies way better.

I have no worry taking the Zero on the freeway for a few miles at a time. Its primarily for urban street duty so I don't want to hassle with dirt chain/wheel conversion, and I don't want to get it banged up. The short range makes it useless on the dirt, but it's awesome and utilitarian around town with the top case.

Now whenever I get on the EXC, the noise and vibration seem really unrefined and irritating at first. Barring any major component failure with the FX, its total cost of ownership is far less. But I still gotta have both!

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 05:24:49 AM »

Curt, Jarret, flattyre, and everyone - thanks for the great input.

I have my Duke up for sale - kind of tough on the 690 owners now that KTM has the 790 out and apparently quite successful.  If I can get the FX, I would keep it stock for a while and wear out the tires before trying it as a dirt bike.  I really like the idea of keeping the belt and fabricating some type of a guard - it would be a fun project. Great suggestion! Maybe the countershaft (motorshaft?) being concentric with the swing arm axle would make this more doable.

I've had Cycra hand guards on other bikes and liked them so thanks for the info about them fitting well. 

I don't have an EM yet so haven't experienced the lack thereof, but the noise and vibes on my 350 EXC definitely bug me at times.  It's a great bike but I hope to get to compare it to the Zero FX.

Think I would see how difficult it is to swap lights on and off so I could still have the Zero for both some street and the trail work/off road riding. 

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 07:23:48 AM »

It does yield much better torque in 1st and 2nd than the FX, so it wheelies way better.

Cool, thanks for the info. 

I'm surprised by the torque comment.  I would have assumed that the FX is much quicker to say 50 than the 500 would be, is that not the case?

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »

Power to weight rules and the EXC weighs the same or less depending on fuel and has significantly more power. By motorcycle standards the FX is not very fast 0-60 just very easy and consistent.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:12:20 AM »

Jarrett, to see what is mean, try whacking the throttle from 5 MPH on your FX. If you do the same in 1st gear on comparable ICE bikes, you'll flip right over.

But getting to 50 is still fast because the almost-lift-front-wheel torque is continuous up to 40 or more.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »

This video says it makes 48 hp stock.  That's basically the same as what Zero claims for the FX.

I would assume the torque specs are way higher on the FX as well.

Pages: [1] 2