• March 29, 2024, 04:11:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX Works Great for Bicycle Support  (Read 547 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
FX Works Great for Bicycle Support
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »

Learned something else about the FX yesterday, if you go slow, you can go a long way :)

I ran sweeper duty with a bicycle group yesterday.  Basically riding behind them to make sure no one got in trouble or left behind.  The total ride was 36 miles at 13.5 mph average. 

The length of the ride was about 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I left the house with 100% and rode 7 miles at normal speeds initially and got to the starting point with 91% charge.

Then I started the ride with them and quickly realized at that speed, I was getting 1+ mile of range per 1% of charge.  Meaning, I could have ridden 100+ miles at those speeds.  I got back home after a 36 mile ride with 60% of charge left over.  That's a first.

Also, the FX at those speeds was more quiet than several of the bicycles.  The riders were pretty blown away by it.  One them is interested in buying one to use for commuting to work now.  The spike in the middle of the chart is him asking me in the middle of the ride what it could do when you open it up :)

I let another guy ride it and he was pretty impressed with it as well.  Riding the FX is so similar to riding a bicycle that it was easy for them to hop on it and take off with no motorcycle experience.  And the size and lack of noise made it very unintimidating for me ride with/near them.

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: FX Works Great for Bicycle Support
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »

I was also able to creep silently along behind people walking up 14% hills at 2-3mph without falling over.  Something I couldn't do on an ICE bike.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »

Nice Jarrett, as an old bike racer I had thought of lending my DS as a Sag vehicle by making a bike rack for it by using the frame tube for better support.  You can let them draft and catch up to the pack as well.
I had tried to get a bicycle shop near me to look into becoming a Zero dealer, but that was years ago and he wasn't too hot on it.

Glad you got your FX acting right and get to fully enjoy it now.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »

Really cool! Glad Zero got your bike fixed, seemed the battery replacement happened fairly quickly!

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »

Riding the FX is so similar to riding a bicycle that it was easy for them to hop on it and take off with no motorcycle experience.  And the size and lack of noise made it very unintimidating for me ride with/near them.

I'd add no exhaust fumes for the athletes to breathe as another advantage.  I've considered volunteering for triathlon race support. The ones I've contacted want a race official to ride along.  The FX(S) can take a passenger, but they'd prefer to ride on the back of a cruiser.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »

Learned something else about the FX yesterday, if you go slow, you can go a long way :)

After nearly 2 years of EV ownership (2016 DSR), I've concluded......
 The bike can go far or fast but it can't go far fast nor go fast far.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:56:10 PM »

Now that is a scenario where adding a killswitch for the lights could get you a few extra miles.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:37:17 AM »

seemed the battery replacement happened fairly quickly!
Yeah, my Zero and local dealer really took care of me on it.  Much appreciated.

I'd add no exhaust fumes for the athletes to breathe as another advantage. 
That's right.  I didn't even consider that fact.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:41:46 AM »

Funny side note, I was riding through town on Saturday with it and passing through a subdivision.   There were two dads standing in their front yards talking as I was rolling up.  The FX was quiet enough that I heard one say to the other, "is that battery-powered?" and I replied as I passed by, "yep, electric."  And they laughed.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:41 AM »

I'm surprised your club hasn't asked you to motorpace them. You get almost as good a draft off a motorcycle, and that whole "no exhaust" thing would be life-changing for motorpacing.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »

This group is more of a just for fun bunch, not trying to break any Strava records.
Pages: [1]