• April 25, 2024, 05:36:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charge Tanks / Power Tanks user-swappable?  (Read 426 times)

PittCaleb

• View Profile
Charge Tanks / Power Tanks user-swappable?
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »

Is swapping a charge tank or power tank a rider DIY job or must it be done at a dealer?

I ask as I have a (used) 15 SR and was wondering I could be on the lookout for a user power or charge tank.  Someone not too far is selling a 16 DSR with charge tank.  Was contemplating making him an offer for the charge tank if a) the 16DSR is compatible with the 15SR and b) it's something I could do easily enough, to remove and button up from his and then install on mine.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Charge Tanks / Power Tanks user-swappable?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 06:25:13 AM »

The older 2.5 kW Charge Tank is reportedly not serviceable by owners. I don’t know that there’s a recorded case yet of one being removed.

The Power Tank on the other hand, is relatively serviceable, consisting of an FX battery brick module and a communications and power harness.

The Power Tank does require matching BMS firmware versions and a leveling of the charge between it and the existing monolith power pack, but is otherwise approachable without dealer tooling.

It is not clear to me that switching from a Charge Tank to a Power Tank has been done, ever, so a dealership would probably be a good idea unless you have professional skills and a workshop with dealer level tools.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 06:45:45 AM »

I would file the Power Tank installation under the "pretty damn easy" category. Once you've taken off the tank plastics, you just need to make sure that you don't pinch or squish any wires as you nestle it in place. There's the annoying left hook rod that doesn't want to stay in place until it's tightened down, but once it's in place it's fine. Then there's one giant plug and 2 ring terminals that go to the controller. Assuming you take proper precautions you could probably do a whole install of a Power Tank in half an hour or less.

Charge Tank difficulty I can't speak for, and you're going to want to know which one it is, also. There's a 2.5kW version and a 6kW version. The original 2.5 ones weren't even an option for dealers to install; they made it a factory-install only at the time of purchase. The 6kW version is doable by dealers so perhaps they made it more user-friendly.

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:34:49 PM »

Keep in mind the plastics are different so if you acquired a charge tank, you would need to acquire matching plastics as well.  Ie if the donor DSR is a different color, your trade might end up with both bikes looking weird.  Or unique, depends on your perspective.
Pages: [1]