• April 24, 2024, 10:56:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who has actually gone off road on a DS?  (Read 424 times)

LDG

• View Profile
Who has actually gone off road on a DS?
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:25:42 AM »

I live on Vancouver Island and have access to a few back roads and some double/single track. I have street tires on right now but will switch to some 60/40 or 50/50 tires soon. I only commute 15km one way but have the option to stretch it out and take the scenic route on some old logging roads home. Not engaging in anything hardcore but just looking for real world feedback.

Cheers

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Who has actually gone off road on a DS?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »

You probably should rephrase the question to " who has intentionally got offload with a DS"  ;D

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:25 PM »

Well I took it off road "some".  I went through some fields and trails through pine woods and some kind of steep hills.  I've went on some freshly graded and regraveled  dirt roads with big granite rocks and that was no fun.  It was like going over bumpy ice.
What I think your asking is can it be done for what your describing and I'd say yes. 
The biggest issue is the weight of course.  I came to a fallen oak tree across the trail and had to do a 48 point turn to get it out of there and not go down an embankment.
I don't know what your age or strength level is but it will sink into soggy mud and if you lean it past a certain point you feel that 400lbs on your one leg.
The smooth torque helps counteract most of the weight issues and the only other thing might be to make sure the belt doesn't get scuffed up or get crap stuck between it and the sprocket as too much tension can snap it.

It should be worth at least one try.  Good luck.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:51:58 PM »

On my extended test ride of the DS, the rear suspension was so short and rough on even pot-holed streets, I can't imagine taking it down a dirt road.

However, the FX suspension felt pretty good to me.  But I'm used to riding more dirt oriented bikes in general.

Would be neat if Zero did an adventure bike with a little more off road capability than the DS has.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:40:16 PM »

The DS suspension is highly adjustable in all respects and also tends to be somewhat stiff when new.  Perhaps if you dialed down the adjustments to soften up their action, it would have been much better when riding over rough roads.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

LDG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 01:14:11 AM »

From what I've read I'm the bike is set up for me. 5'10 185lb .
I did get it off road a couple weeks ago (only my 3rd ride on it) up some decommissioned logging roads and seeing as my tires are mainly street I managed the bike fine. I'm pretty strong for my size so not worried about managing the bike. 

We're snowed in right now which is highly unusual for this area so it's probably going to be 3 -4 weeks till it goes off road.  By then I should have better tires. I'll get used to the bike first before I mess with suspension settings.

I should add I'm 50yrs old but prone to riding like a 20yr old. ....
Pages: [1]