• April 25, 2024, 12:40:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kickstand replacement basic how to in Say10 easy steps  (Read 677 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Kickstand replacement basic how to in Say10 easy steps
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:07 PM »

After converting my ‘15 FX to 17” wheels (see post in pics and video section) the kickstand was just a little too long and the bike was likely to tip over. I ordered the medium long kickstand for the FXS. Here is the technique I used to swap it over. This would also work if you were just changing your kickstand for whatever reason. Should only take you about 20 minutes. Enjoy.

1   Jack up bike by whatever you’re preferred method. I used an MSR pro stand.

2   From the right side of bike reach underneath and remove E clip with a flat blade screwdriver.

3   Go to the left side of bike. With the kickstand in the up position (less spring tension) wiggle the kickstand while tapping the
        pivot pin from underneath with a soft faced hammer.

4   Continue to wiggle the kickstand while gripping the pin which should slide out. Mine came out by hand with a rag.

5   Carefully slide kickstand away from frame and unhook springs from frame. The kickstand will still be under some tension
        from both springs, inner and outer.

6   Remove 2 bronze bushings from kickstand and remove allen bolt securing springs to kickstand.

7   Clean and grease bushings. Insert bushings into new kickstand and replace chamfered bolt with springs. My chamfered bolt
        was not very tight and I assume it was being held in from the spring tension. I went to tighten it all the way in but that
        seemed to push the springs out too far. I put blue Loctite on it and threaded it about half way in. I will check this after a few
        rides to ensure it does not fall out!

8   Clean and grease pin. Have the pin and a tapered punch that fits nicely in the hole ready to go. Hook the springs onto the
        frame, grip the kickstand with both hands, put your shoulder into the bike so it won’t tip. While pushing straight down on the
        kickstand, get it   onto the frame and insert the tapered punch. Now raise the kickstand into the up position. Remove punch.
        The hole will be almost aligned. Insert the pin as far as it will go, mine stopped at the frame. With the kickstand still in the up
        position, tap the bottom of   the kickstand pivot area up towards the frame with a dead blow hammer while pushing the
        pin in. This should align the hole and allow the pin to go right in.

9   Go back to the right side of bike, reach underneath and install E clip with needle nose pliers.

10    Check for smooth operation and make sure the magnet in the kickstand triggers the sensor.

I initially tried to use a hook to remove the spring before pulling the pin but found that the springs were under so much tension I almost pulled the bike right off the stand. If you have an assistant this could be a somewhat easier method. Or you could just loosen the bolt that holds the springs and let it fly. I didn’t feel like looking all over the shop floor for an hour trying to find parts. Either way step 8, installation is still a bit of a pain. Hope this helps someone! Say10

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Kickstand replacement basic how to in Say10 easy steps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:47 PM »

Nice!

For reference, the wiki has the following procedure, which needs a shuffle so "removal" doesn't include installation:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Kickstand_Removal
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Kickstand_Replacement

I'll double check your notes against the page and try to merge what's missed.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »

Okay, I've made a bit of a mess of those procedures but now there's separate removal and install procedures, and the steps have variants for whether using "spring before pin" vs "pin before spring". I've placed the original method first, as it's what I've seen in the V-Strom manual and a couple others.

I'll see whether I can articulate why to pick one strategy versus the other, because they involve subtle tradeoffs that might avoid or lead to frustration.

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Kickstand_Install

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »

Didn't even think to check the "manual"! I recall a post or 2 regarding floppy kickstands. Now that I see how the kickstand is constructed, the problem could be 1 or both bushings missing. Both mine have a little play but most bikes I have seen also do so I think that is normal.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:11 AM »

That's a good possibility to raise in case it helps others. I'll see how I can make a place in the wiki for someone to find it (the biggest challenge now with a large informational site is keeping content findable).
Pages: [1]