• April 23, 2024, 02:40:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Motorcycle Bills in CT  (Read 649 times)

ecavoli

• View Profile
New Motorcycle Bills in CT
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »

FYI, some new motorcycle legislation being proposed in Connecticut.
1) bill to make lane splitting legal.
2) bill to make helmets mandatory for riders under 21 (currently no helmet law in CT)

Lane splitting in CT is kind of a humorous proposition. Not a lot of commuters on two wheels here, at least compared to CA.

2017 FXS Modular

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: New Motorcycle Bills in CT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »

Only been to CT a few times. Is there even traffic there? I think everyone should wear a helmet. You don’t see the MotoGP guys choosing not to wear them.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »

In California, do-rags, beanie caps and plastic WWII style helmets must be DOT approved, as I see Harley riders wearing them all the time. I notice their "helmets" since their modified bikes are so loud that their riders attract my attention.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »

Only been to CT a few times. Is there even traffic there? I think everyone should wear a helmet. You don’t see the MotoGP guys choosing not to wear them.

I go to Connecticut a lot.  Trust me... they can DEFINITELY have traffic, especially if you're heading into New York during "Rush Hour."  I go up every Memorial Day weekend and ALWAYS hit traffic as well. 
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

I would hope that some education would be tied to this if it passes.  From what I saw in CA there needs to be education 1) for riders so they don't see this as a free pass to ride like a complete asshole and 2) for the rest of the people on the road, so at least they know it's legal and ideally understand that it's not about motorcyclists "cutting in line."

In order for this to provide momentum to gain acceptance in other states, I think you need to do more than just make it legal and see what happens.  Out of curiosity, I looked for the bill.  Unless I'm missing something, this is all it says.  https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/s/pdf/2019SB-00629-R00-SB.PDF
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »

A few comments, I do vote in Ct, probably not for the ones that win and am more intrested in the off road aspcts of motorcycling.

There are laws or a law to require bicycle riders, young ones, wear helmet or helmets.  It is pretty obvious this is not enforced in my travels.

There is a law passed within the last few years making under a certain age with driving liscence not to be allowed to have a car full of passengers.  Three might be the limit.  Well we go by the high school when the busses are leaving and cars full of students are pulling out at basically the same time some squeeling the tires as they take off.  Again not really enforeced.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, this is all it says.  https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/s/pdf/2019SB-00629-R00-SB.PDF

Interesting. It says lane-splitting is allowed in "other states and countries", both plural. I thought CA was the only state that allowed it at the moment. Am I wrong about that?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:48:07 PM »

Lane splitting in CT is kind of a humorous proposition. Not a lot of commuters on two wheels here, at least compared to CA.

That's probably the reason.
If lane splitting is allowed motorriders will have a huge advantage in time while commuting.
So more will do it (I believe it will)
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:59:06 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, this is all it says.  https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/s/pdf/2019SB-00629-R00-SB.PDF

Interesting. It says lane-splitting is allowed in "other states and countries", both plural. I thought CA was the only state that allowed it at the moment. Am I wrong about that?

California is the only state where it is SPECIFICALLY legal.  There are several states where it is NOT illegal (because there is nothing in their laws prohibiting it).
https://www.motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/state-by-state-guide-to-motorcycle-laws/#lanesplitting
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 12:33:28 AM »

A few comments, I do vote in Ct, probably not for the ones that win and am more intrested in the off road aspcts of motorcycling.

There are laws or a law to require bicycle riders, young ones, wear helmet or helmets.  It is pretty obvious this is not enforced in my travels.

There is a law passed within the last few years making under a certain age with driving liscence not to be allowed to have a car full of passengers.  Three might be the limit.  Well we go by the high school when the busses are leaving and cars full of students are pulling out at basically the same time some squeeling the tires as they take off.  Again not really enforeced.

People break the law all the time, but the laws and enforcement of them will shift the equilibrium.  For example, some riders split lanes now in my state.  I won't unless it's made legal because I don't want to take the risks from the law or from some vigilante cager.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »

I would hope that some education would be tied to this if it passes.  From what I saw in CA there needs to be education 1) for riders so they don't see this as a free pass to ride like a complete asshole and 2) for the rest of the people on the road, so at least they know it's legal and ideally understand that it's not about motorcyclists "cutting in line."

In order for this to provide momentum to gain acceptance in other states, I think you need to do more than just make it legal and see what happens.  Out of curiosity, I looked for the bill.  Unless I'm missing something, this is all it says.  https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/s/pdf/2019SB-00629-R00-SB.PDF
Wow. If that's indeed all it says, it's extremely dumb. It doesn't even define lane splitting, or specify when it's allowed, let alone address education or training for riders or other road users. I expect an increase in accidents & fatalities.
The California law (from 2.5 years ago) came with guidelines by the CHP (developed over 5-6 years together with other stakeholders such as rider groups), and essentially only formally legalized the practice which had been common and accepted for many years.

I'm in a country where lane splitting is technically illegal (although passing another vehicle in the same lane is legal for motorcycles), but universally practiced and never enforced; allowing lane splitting can cause a big difference in rider behavior and shouldn't be sprung on the general CT road user population without preparation.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »

The most comprehensive study of motorcycle accident causes and effects (the famous "Hurt Study") over a decade ago found no correlation between lane-splitting and accidents (the study was conducted primarily in California where lane-splitting was not illegal).  In fact, what they discovered was that motorcyclists who split lanes had far fewer rear-end type collisions than motorcyclists who did not.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »

The most comprehensive study of motorcycle accident causes and effects (the famous "Hurt Study") over a decade ago found no correlation between lane-splitting and accidents (the study was conducted primarily in California where lane-splitting was not illegal).  In fact, what they discovered was that motorcyclists who split lanes had far fewer rear-end type collisions than motorcyclists who did not.
The Hurt Report is now ~40 y.o.  ... Really not that informative any more, since many things have changed. There are several more current studies. The European MAIDS report (2004, over a limited number of accidents) also had some relevant conclusions.
Pages: [1]