• April 27, 2024, 08:22:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Have You Crashed Your FX Due To Loss of Rear Wheel Traction?  (Read 826 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Have You Crashed Your FX Due To Loss of Rear Wheel Traction?
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »

I'm curious specifically about FX models.

FX owners, have you crashed your FX at any point due to a loss of rear wheel traction?

Meaning, given it throttle, the rear wheel breaks loose and you go down.  Have you had that occur?

I'd like to hear from those that have and have not as well.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Have You Crashed Your FX Due To Loss of Rear Wheel Traction?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »

Really man?
Have you test rode any of these bikes? 
I get being cautious but we have told you what to watch for, how it's best to spend a while in eco mode to get used to the bike.  Just tell yourself this is a new way of getting power and it will take a little getting used to and don't ride like wild man till you feel comfortable with the bike.
There is not a path of death and destruction that is being paved with these bikes.
Over 21k miles on two of them never laid down ever and I didn't start riding till my forties.  I'm the guy who should be all broken up as a newbie squid but it's been the most enjoyable big boy toy I have ever owned, sports cars included.

I'm not mad but I don't want you to over worry or worse make others scared to try a great way to ride.

FYI there is a great deal on a FX in the for sale section in TX you should take a look.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:02 PM »

It's hard not to see that there is a higher number of people reporting going down on these bikes than compared to others.  Especially, considering they sell quite a few less than other ICE bikes.

I frequent quite a few motorcycle forums and what you don't typically read on them is several posts saying, "I was pulling away from a stop sign and the bike suddenly spun out from underneath me without warning."

It's something people should consider before looking at these bikes.  Just looking across the forum, I'm far from the first person that's raised the concern.

Thanks for the tip on the used FX.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »

Not on an Fx but on a Zero S i have been repeatedly in the situation where rear wheel torque was too high and start slipping, especially on rainy / oily grounds. I never fall because each time i was riding on a straight line.

This is related with the extremly strong torque, and being used to a different behaviour with a less powerful.bike.

Is this what happened to you ?

I solved this by:
  - putting better tires (2013 ones where crap, and Fx's one are made for offroad, less for a city - as opposed to FXS)
  - being extremly cautious when accelerating

I'm curious specifically about FX models.

FX owners, have you crashed your FX at any point due to a loss of rear wheel traction?

Meaning, given it throttle, the rear wheel breaks loose and you go down.  Have you had that occur?

I'd like to hear from those that have and have not as well.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:39:59 AM »

Cool, thanks for the info.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 04:07:10 AM »

Try one back-to-back with a Honda CR500. Then let us know which one you like best.  ::)
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 05:20:35 AM »

'18 Zero fx owner, and never had an issue (I've ridden in really cold (18F) and rainy days). Just like anything, especially a car / truck with lots of torque, you know when your applying so much throttle that the tires are about to break loose. Look, if I stomp the pedal in my Tundra in a corner or stab the throttle on my Yamaha Warrior, it will go sideways. The Zero is no different. Its not like these magically end up on their sides. It is different in that most motorcycles dont make enough power at slow cornering speeds to loose traction, so you can really lay into most bikes in corners and nothing happens. The throttle isnt unpredictable but it does have alot of torque available.. just dont use all of it in a corner!

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »

if I stomp the pedal in my Tundra in a corner, it will go sideways.

My Tundra won't.  The traction control kicks in.  Same with my Honda Africa Twin and VFR1200X, which makes almost double the horsepower than any of the current Zero models.  My NC700X doesn't make enough power to warrant traction control, so it doesn't have it.  But the rest of the those vehicles do make enough power to break a wheel loose in a corner, so they were built with traction control. 

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »

My older but 5.7 Tundra will chirp a tire at the drop of a hat too.
Jarrett I have some viewing for you if you'd like.  Back when I was looking at getting my DS I saw this guy's videos and was blown away at how different it was.  I won't post all the links here since it's just too much but go to YT and type in Matt Fish FX and look through his videos.
Keep in mind it's a 13 FX and the newer ones have much better suspensions and batteries but watch what he can do with that thing.  The rampart trail video had me so jealous.  Warning some are long but the one up Lookout Mt he is going over a sand washed sharp turn no problem.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »

If you are used to counting on traction control, I expect you'll have to unlearn some habits on a Zero.

Please ride very very carefully.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

EkrebDK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »

Had my FX ‘15 for 3 seasons now, and never crashed. Ride pretty aggressively too. Did learn to watch out when on cold and wet tarmac from small skids, though. It’s really good fun :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 02:31:53 PM »

I apologize if I sound self righteous here, but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your question. I can guarantee you that if you try to crash an FX, you will be able to.  If you treat it with respect, you can ride it safely and it will be a ton of fun. Comparing a Zero to an ICE bike in terms of horsepower is not useful because the way they deliver power is so different.  If you want the bike to be responsible for your safety, I would not recommend a Zero or probably many other things.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  I think I'm going to go put money down on one this weekend.

Still deciding between FX and DS, but leaning towards FW at this point.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:03 PM »

If you are hesitating, you can also start with a used model (3-4 years)... Good way to limit your investment, and usually a very good value for money.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »

If you are hesitating, you can also start with a used model (3-4 years)... Good way to limit your investment, and usually a very good value for money.

There aren't that many used ones in my area that I can see.  On S 9.8 that I'm not interested in.  And one 2018 FX demo model that the seller is selling after just a few months. 

I'm a little tempted to go after the used FX, but I don't know it was cared for.  It seems like battery maintenance is really important on these.  I don't know if the dealer and previous owner followed the battery charging procedures or not.  Plus it came with a chain kit and has been converted back to belt.  And who knows how it was treated as a demo for a year.
Pages: [1] 2