• April 25, 2024, 08:25:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Motorbikes < 1000 cc by torque  (Read 550 times)

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
Motorbikes < 1000 cc by torque
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »

The first production models in the list are electric motorcycles.

* : turbine engine (the 1st in the list cost 160.000 euros, an helicopter engine turbine)
**: electric
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
Re: Motorbikes < 1000 cc by torque
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »

What torque is it? On motor shaft or on the wheel?

The guys always chatting about engine torque make me smile, because the effect depends on the transmission ratio. Even the torque at the wheel end has to be divided by the wheel radius to get the thrust. In fact, the only significant figure for "performance" is the thrust you get from the powertrain. Simply expressed in Newtons. Or (old)tons!

Thrust is the parameter you can drive an acceleration from. Same as with rockets.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:10 PM »

Not false Hubert. Real parameter would be "size of the kick in the ass" =f(torque, ratio, weight, transmission efficiency). Unfortunately it does not exist. What is left is 0-60 mph or 0-100 kmh times...
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »

Power vs Torque is often misunderstood as other people have already pointed out.

I advise that Torque numbers should typically be ignored.  The quality or shape of the torque is more important.

Power is a function of torque and speed. You should pay attention to those numbers.   8)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »

I agree with Hubert. Torque is a useful number to compare if we're talking about similar machines. ICE vehicles with gearboxes giving similar overall gear ratios, for instance. Or EVs, again with similar gearing. But it's not too helpful if you're comparing an ICE vehicle with gearbox to an EV without. Of course the relationships between motor torque, gearing and vehicle acceleration are pretty simple and well understood, but it's just not intuitive.

But thrust is the linear force pushing the vehicle (and driver) forward, which is proportional to acceleration (Newton's second law: F = m*a). Of course it's also a fairly simple function of the torque produced by the motor and the overall gearing of the vehicle...but more importantly, it's what you feel pushing your butt into the seat. It's relatable in a fundamental way by anybody who's ever ridden a motorcycle. It's what makes a bike feel quick (as opposed to fast).

I think it's a better way of comparing vehicles on an apples-to-apples basis. Doesn't matter how you generate it, gearbox or no, a vehicle with more thrust will accelerate harder.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »

For me, it is not the amount of torque an engine produces, but the shape of the power curve.  The broader and more level the curve, the more powerful the vehicle will feel while you are riding it.  That is what I like about an electric motor. The power curve is almost completely flat across the rpm range. This gives the feeling of your vehicle being more powerful than the maximum torque numbers would indicate.  Most people will prefer riding with a motor having this kind of power curve.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:01:57 AM »

Yes! In fact the "flat power curve" of an EV is not really related to the motor. It is rather the power handling ability of the battery. Somehow the power (or torque...) will be limited via software by the motor controller in order not to exceed battery's maximum amps rating and also not to get overheated or undervolted or so.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: [1]