• April 26, 2024, 10:56:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What tires are on your Zero?  (Read 1442 times)

BenderEmf

• View Profile
What tires are on your Zero?
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:32:09 AM »

I bought my bike used and the PO put some ridiculous hard-compound touring tires on the bike that don't exactly inspire confidence when leaned over in a turn. Maybe it's all in my head but I'd like to put something a bit softer and rounder; what does the forum recommend?

I saw according to the unofficial manual, the newer MY bikes come with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's. I see the Rosso III's are out now, but apparently not in the OEM-recommended sizes.

The other line I was looking at was Michelin's Road 5. I had Pilot Road 2 and 3's on my last bike and loved them, apparently the Road 5 is the latest and greatest (having dropped "Pilot" from the name) but again, they're not made in Zero's OEM size.

So maybe the question is a two-parter. Not only what tire have you got but also, have you stuck with the OEM size? If not then what size are you using and how has it treated you?

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
Re: What tires are on your Zero?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:58:21 AM »

Michelin Anakee 3. Awesome tyre OEM size on my DS. Warm up fast, last 30000 km"s and good confidence.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:04:30 AM »

Whoops! I should have specified that I'm personally curious about S/SR tires, but if you guys want to share your picks for your DS/DSR or FX/FXS, then by all means. :) (Thanks buutvrij!)

For convenience: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Stock_Tires

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:51:29 AM »

The tires that came on my 2018 S from the factory are Pirelli Diablo Rosa II.  They are OK, but I think there are better tires on the market.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »

My 2016 S had a relatively hard set of Pirellis, Sport Demons, I think?  I can't remember.  I know that I was ready to replace them at 17K before I got hit and the bike was totaled.  I had a set of Dunlop GPR300s ready to go, now they're in my garage waiting for me to wear out the stock Pirellis on the 2018 S.  The newer S has the same softer compound tires that were standard on the SR so I'm thinking they probably won't last as long.  We'll see.

I value tire life over pretty much everything else although if they make the bike feel scary in the rain or on curves that will be a problem.  I never had a problem with the Sport Demons, but I'm curious how the Dunlops will be.  Since the bike is American made, I figure I'd go with American made tires and see how it goes.  I've heard others say they won't last as long as the Sport Demons as they are a stickier sport compound.  As soon as I make the switch (might take awhile) I'll report back.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »

Bridgestone T31 - You need to get a slightly wider size, but its worked for my last set. 

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »

I bought my bike used and the PO put some ridiculous hard-compound touring tires on the bike that don't exactly inspire confidence when leaned over in a turn. Maybe it's all in my head but I'd like to put something a bit softer and rounder; what does the forum recommend?

I saw according to the unofficial manual, the newer MY bikes come with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's. I see the Rosso III's are out now, but apparently not in the OEM-recommended sizes.

The other line I was looking at was Michelin's Road 5. I had Pilot Road 2 and 3's on my last bike and loved them, apparently the Road 5 is the latest and greatest (having dropped "Pilot" from the name) but again, they're not made in Zero's OEM size.

So maybe the question is a two-parter. Not only what tire have you got but also, have you stuck with the OEM size? If not then what size are you using and how has it treated you?

On the S/SR the stock size is 140/70/17, I found a deal on-line to a tire that was recommended, but it only came in 150/70/17.  At a friends recommendation, I tried it and the width looked great and the tire shape was much nicer than other tires I tried at the stock size.

I kept the front tire the same, but I never noticed that the rear tire was slightly larger in diameter.

My front tire tends to wear out a sooner, so it would make sense to try going from the stock 110/70/17 to 120/70/17.  Anyone have any issues with that.  You get more tire options those larger sizes.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »

For the last 20 years all of the front tires on all of my motorcycles (except for my Royal Oilfield) have worn out before the rear tire. And I keep a close eye on my tire pressures.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:12:10 PM »

Here's another vote for Michelin Anakee's, but then I have a DSR.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

corentinoger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »

On my DS :
Front : Michelin Anakee (3?)
Rear : Metzeler Tourance Next

It came with stock Pirelli MT60, which were good on the dirt, but very slippery on the wet (I kept spinning the rear wheel at green lights), The Tourance solved that.
I wish I had the same brand front & rear, but I have to contend with whatever's available when I turn up at a tire shop.

Corentin
2015 Zero DS, formerly BMW F650GS(800cc), Honda Varadero 125, Yamaha YBR 125

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »

For the last 20 years all of the front tires on all of my motorcycles (except for my Royal Oilfield) have worn out before the rear tire. And I keep a close eye on my tire pressures.

You obviously corner harder than you accelerate.  :D
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:40 AM »

Im now using Metzeler Roadtec Z8,  which work fine on my 2015 SR. I had Metzeler M5 Front from the beginning, since i got a bad Rosso 2 front tire with the bike (It vibrated more than enough to convince the seller to swap the tire for safety). Personally I cant feel much difference between the M5 and the Z8's, but the Z8s are supposed to last longer and they are probably slightly harder and less track friendly, but they still feel glued to the pavement. I will however try the Roadtec 01 when i change next time, because they should be better in bad weather. The Metzeler rear tire (150/...) is one size bigger than the Rosso2, but work just fine. The Metzeler tires do have pattern at the middle, so there is some vibrations that the Rossos didn't have when going straight, but then again you will be able to see when the tire is worn out- which reduces the chance of spinning the rear tire wildy on wet surfaces (I've tried that).

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 01:29:34 AM »

My R1200RS came from the factory with Z8 tires. I thought they were pretty decent. The front tire lasted 9K miles and the rear went 10K miles.  I am now using Dunlop Roadsmart III tires on the RS and really like them. They turn in better than the Z8's and are supposed to last longer, according the the manufacturer and some internet reports. Traction in both the wet and dry seems pretty good, too.  :)

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 03:53:26 AM »

On the S/SR the stock size is 140/70/17, I found a deal on-line to a tire that was recommended, but it only came in 150/70/17.  At a friends recommendation, I tried it and the width looked great and the tire shape was much nicer than other tires I tried at the stock size.

I kept the front tire the same, but I never noticed that the rear tire was slightly larger in diameter.

My front tire tends to wear out a sooner, so it would make sense to try going from the stock 110/70/17 to 120/70/17.  Anyone have any issues with that.  You get more tire options those larger sizes.
I'd be wary of not only upsetting the geometry of such a slight bike, but destroying the range with 120 front and 150 rear.  I'm pretty sure the Zero engineers are half decent and did enough testing to reason the stock sizes.  I wonder what sizes they ride on their own SR's.

I'm going with the Michelin Power RS's in stock sizes next. 

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »

Alex, curious why going with a bigger tire would negatively impact range? In my head, my logic went like this: smaller tire = more torque = higher rpm at given speed = less range, and larger tires the reverse. Would that not be so?
Pages: [1] 2