• April 25, 2024, 12:08:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery percentage drop  (Read 505 times)

rDacted

• View Profile
Battery percentage drop
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:12:19 AM »

I've got a question for any zero FXS owners.

Having recently received my bike back from smash repairs I've noticed my battery isn't performing as I'd expect. This first video shows the battery percentage dropping rapidly while the bike is idle. I managed to catch the tail end of it after noticing it before I went for my first ride after getting it back.

The second video shows a 9% drop immediately after disconnected mains power.

In both videos the bike has had ample opportunity to charge. So I'm wondering if the bike is known to behave like this and whether there are any tests to perform to check battery health.

Thanks

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: Battery percentage drop
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:32:40 AM »

I've never experienced either of those symptoms with my 2016 or 2018 FXS.  Your bike likely got it's firmware updated while it was being repaired, and that can affect the calibration of the battery.  There's a good chance that after you go through a few charge cycles where you discharge to a fairly low state of charge, the indication will smooth itself out.  In the near term, I'd be less concerned about the percent indicator and look more at the overall range that you get on a charge.  If you are curious, you can pull the logs and see what the voltage is doing when you get the sudden percentage drops.  My guess is that the voltage hardly changes, but if you get big drops in voltage, too, then something weird is going on.
  I'm not aware of any tests that we can do to check battery health aside from looking at overall capacity by measuring range under known conditions or using a kill-a-watt or similar to measure energy per charge.  Zero says they evaluate battery degradation by analyzing battery logs, but I haven't heard details from anyone about what they look at so one could try to replicate their process.  If there really is a problem, you have to go back to the dealer anyway.  If the dealer is convenient, you can ask them or just wait a bit and see if it resolves itself.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

rDacted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:12:40 AM »

Hi domingo,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have been clearer, the bike never made it to a zero dealer as the insurance provider insisted on finding a local repairer which happened to be a panel beater. Unfortunately my closest dealer is half a country away since Zero has pulled out of Australia.

So basically I can guarantee there was no firmware update performed with the repairs - and I can state they also didn't even look at anything other than the plastics.

FYI this is a follow on from this accident: https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8357.0

On my first ride the battery got to about 69% just leaving my suburb... but most of that was lost just leaving my garage so unsure how linear it is

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:58 PM »

That sucks - both the accident and no dealers in OZ.  I'd still recommend pulling the logs.  Post them here for others to look at, too.  Have you tried contacting Zero directly?  Sometimes they don't seem to do anything, and others they seem to bend over backwards to help someone out.

rDacted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:35:08 PM »

Logs are a good idea. Unfortunately the app crashes before I can submit the logs but I've been able to extract them from the phone.

Does anyone have the email address the logs typically get submitted to?

I've also attached the logs here.

The isolation faults are a concern, but it seems to have rectified itself when I went for that test ride.

The fact that it'll randomly only charge to 91% is a concern. Also this line seems odd:

Received FAULT from PL536 #5, Fault Status Reg: 0x04

However if I can get the email address to submit these to I'll email them to Zero for their comment

rDacted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:35:32 PM »

The final log file

rDacted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »

Ah, found the email address. support@... I should have guessed

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »

Can you say when the two videos above or any other significant events were in order to correlate with the log entries? 

Also, in my experience, I've never gotten a reply or acknowledgement from sending logs to Zero.  You may need to call or find another way to contact them besides the support@ address.

PittCaleb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »

Logs are a good idea. Unfortunately the app crashes before I can submit the logs but I've been able to extract them from the phone.

I'm on Android and I've poked around the file system and haven't been able to find them.  Can you share the location please?

rDacted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 08:41:47 AM »

@domingo3 yep - the videos I look have timestamps.

First vid around 23rd of December at 1013 Canberra local time
Second vid around 1st of January at 0712 local

Also Zero have started assisting, so that's great news. Hopefully we can resolve this satisfactorily.

@PittCaleb Absolutely. I was able to locate my files in:

/sdcard/Android/data/com.ZeroMotorcycles/files

Failing that you may be able to run the find command to locate any .bin files. You may need to install a terminal emulator to run it, or via adb.

I hope that helps you!
Pages: [1]