• April 24, 2024, 05:34:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Corbin seat?  (Read 738 times)

Tosha.3

• View Profile
Corbin seat?
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »

Is anybody tried Corbin seat on Zero SR? It’s not cheap $500 so I wander if it worth the money. Anyone?

ashnazg

• View Profile
Re: Corbin seat?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »

I'm very happy with mine, on my '15 SR.
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

Tosha.3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

Thanks bro. So is it really worth half a grand?

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »

I got my SR used so I never really tried the stock seat but the corbin seat is very comfortable even for long rides. I think if you're putting a lot of miles in, commuting daily on your zero, the seat is probably worth it.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »

Worth it to me, certainly.  I plan to do some long rides once I have my DigiNows, and the stock seat on my '15 SR (that I bought used this year) was already showing weakness in the padding, making just a one hour ride become uncomfortable.  The Corbin seat starts out very stiff (thousand mile break-in period, I've heard, so I'm not even halfway there), but is still more comfortable than the stock seat was.
2015 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »

I'm SOO torn over this.  I would love to encourage Corbin and other manufacturers to include Zero in their offerings (Corbin has apparently already stated they've been disappointed in the low sales numbers for their Zero offering) but the way I use my Zero, I can't justify the purchase.  By the time the stock saddle STARTS to get uncomfortable, I'm well past the point where I should be looking to park the bike and get it back on the charger.  I MIGHT spring for a Corbin saddle next year just because I like the customizations it offers and it would look really sharp on the bike but before I do that, I want to get a Hollywood Electrics fairing installed (and that is a LOT more expensive).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »

Yep, the fairing is something to also consider, if you have $500ish to put towards one or the other.  For me, it came down to installation difficulty... the fairing sounds like it's out of my league just now, whereas the seat and Givi top box were *nearly* easy.  Maybe next year though...
2015 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »

I have bought several Corbin saddles during the past 30 years and every one has been much heavier, harder and higher than stock. Plus, not one fitted on my motorcycles without modification to the attachment hardware. Add to that they are quite expensive and I have pretty much given up on the brand.  The last Corbin saddle that I bought was the one that Zero sold for my 2012 S. While being lower than stock and shaped a little differently, it also was hard to fit and was no more comfortable than the original saddle because it was so thin and lacked any padding.

When I feel I need an after-market saddle for my IC motorcycles, I buy an off-the-shelf Sargent saddle.  Since they don't make a saddle for Zeros (no doubt because of the low volume of potential sales), I buy an Air Hawk seat pad and that works well for me.  It is very light, correctly adjusted does not affect ride height much, costs much less than any after market seat and can be transferred from one bike to another if necessary. So I think that is a good option for a relatively inexpensive solution to seating comfort.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »

The only issue I ever had with a Corbin saddle was the one I had ordered for my Buell 1125R.  That took MASSIVE modifications to fit (thanks to the great folks at American Sportbike for the technical assistance).  The ones I had on my BMWs always fit perfectly from the start.  Also, the saddle I had for my Buell M2 Cyclone fit perfectly from the beginning.  Last saddle I purchased was the one for that POS BMW C650GT; probably the best thing about that scooter.  It's the ONLY thing I miss about that thing, too.  The saddle on my K1200LT is OEM stock and is probably the most comfortable saddle I've ever had.  It is now 19 years old, and has been reupholstered twice in the 214,000 miles I've had it.  Last time out I also had the good folks at Phoenix Upholstery (in Franklin Square, NY) refresh the foam too.  I saw the saddle Corbin made for the bike and didn't like the way it looked so never got it.

One other thing about Corbins:  They are NOT waterproof; they do not seal the seams.  Although the foam inside is wrapped in plastic so they don't soak up water, the area between the cover and the foam can hold water for a VERY long time.  Considering how often I've ridden my K1200LT in the rain, that was another BIG consideration of mine.  I had a Corbin saddle on my 1985 K100, and I my crotch would get embarrassingly wet for DAYS after I had ridden in the rain with it.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DaveinFL

• 2017 Tiger 800 XRX - looking to get a Zero soon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »

Not sure if you know about Spencers Seats, http://www.greatdaytoride.com/home.html but great alternative and I've used in the past. Only drawback is you need to send the stock seat so unless you have a spare, you're without your ride for awhile. Much cheaper though and does a great job (used on a Ducati and Triumph)

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »

I really like my Corbin.  To accelerate the break-in period, I cinched down some tie-down straps if I knew I wouldn't be using the bike for a few days.  Looks and feels great, now!
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.
Pages: [1]