• April 25, 2024, 03:08:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2017 fxs - cold weather performance  (Read 2632 times)

belac

• View Profile
2017 fxs - cold weather performance
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:46:38 AM »

hello,

i recently purchased a 2017 zero fxs for commuting (seattle) and a little offroad fun. I had test rode the S but they didnt have an fxs at the time. I have been riding it around the neighborhood and getting used to it a bit before i start riding it to work.  I was riding yesterday and thought i would briefly see how fast i could go. I could not go over 45mph!  it was at maybe 40% charge and i read that when its cold and lower state of charge power is reduced so i charged it up and tried again yesterday and i could not go over 50mph. this is a pretty big deal. i am ok if it takes longer to get up to speed but to be unable to even do hwy speeds makes it essentially useless to me. is this behavior expected? I have been trying to find anything specific about cold weather performance but everything from Zero is extremely vague. 

belac

• View Profile
Re: 2017 fxs - cold weather performance
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:03:35 AM »

fyi - it has the latest firmware

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »

Make sure you are in the right mode.  The bike has the ability to program in top speed.

belac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »

using custom with everything maxed. also switched to eco and sport, no change.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »

Belac it sounds like a programing or sensor issue unless your talking like -20F or something super cold.  A dealer trip is in your future I'm afraid.

With that being said a few other things you can check if you have the means.
Some guys had their brake lever loosen up and it would hit the tail light switch causing a pulsing regen but you should  have felt that jerking motion if so.
If you can jack the bike up to make sure the wheels spin freely(ish) and there isn't a wheel bearing issue or warped rotor causing the brake pads to grab.
The only other thing I can think of is double check your dash speed to the app and or a GPS unit that shows your speed.  May be a bad reading on the bike.

I don't know your riding experience so you may roll your eyes at these basic suggestions but thought I'd throw them out there if it helps.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:40:35 PM by NEW2elec »

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »

My 2013DS goes max 158km/h, but at 2°C only 122km/h.
Note: performance with this cold is better when >50% I noticed.
My range dropt with 10-20km doing same driving as always with this cold.
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:43 AM »

Being limited to 45 MPH is not normal, assuming level ground, a temperature of 32F and 6.5 kWh battery.

Performance and top speed will be affected by temperature.  Look in your logs for Batt Dischg Cur Limited.

I had some significant limiting with my 2016 FXS this past winter.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7609.msg66761#msg66761

Interestingly, I did not experience as much limiting the first winter I owned the bike, but I had other problems, too.  You can read most of my experience on the forums here.  PM me if you want a more candid account.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:51:44 AM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:00 AM »

I've noticed some degradation on my 2018 FX in the cold. I rode on the highway when it was around 55F outside, and was able to cruise at 80mph for about 10 miles, but on my way home it was 45F at ~30% SOC and my max was 73mph, and slowly dropped to 67mph. I'm guessing it was enough wind to cool the battery. Also while I still had quite a bit of power, it was much harder to wheelie at 45f than at 55f.

That said, 45 seems way too slow. Have you charged completely to 100% recently to balance out the cells? What does it do at a high charge state? What temperature are you riding in?

belac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:24 AM »

sorry for the delay. the day i had the issue i think it was around 45ish degrees F.

Today i rode into work, which is only 14 miles, about half on the freeway. i couldnt get over 55 for most of the freeway portion, it briefly got up to 60 on a slightly down hill portion. By the time i got the work i was at 24% and it was at 100% when i left. I believe it was around 45F this morning too.

Not only does it seem like the top speed is much slower than it should be the range also seems much more reduced than what i would expect. Its like its behaving as if it only has a single battery module.

I tried to download hte logs via the app and it crashes at about 64% for bike only and battery logs.

belac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:37:00 AM »

I am not very impressed with the app.

anyone know what version of bluetooth, i would have expected better range. i have to be within about 10 feet of the bike to connect.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »

Do you have the removable batteries or the ones that are locked in?
One battery may be loose or a bad connector sure enough.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 04:31:03 PM »

sorry for the delay. the day i had the issue i think it was around 45ish degrees F.

Today i rode into work, which is only 14 miles, about half on the freeway. i couldnt get over 55 for most of the freeway portion, it briefly got up to 60 on a slightly down hill portion. By the time i got the work i was at 24% and it was at 100% when i left. I believe it was around 45F this morning too.

Not only does it seem like the top speed is much slower than it should be the range also seems much more reduced than what i would expect. Its like its behaving as if it only has a single battery module.

I tried to download hte logs via the app and it crashes at about 64% for bike only and battery logs.

To give you a solid comparison, it was 39F in my garage yesterday morning and 32F outside.  Started at 100%.  Mile 0-1 at about 35 MPH.  Mile 1-8 between 65 and 85MPH, mostly about 75 MPH.  When I got off the highway at mile 8, SOC was 77%.  At work at mile 9.5 SOC was 75%.  The return trip was slower due to traffic (30-65MPG) and temperature was about 40F.  Got back into the garage with a total of 19.3 miles and SOC 55%.  In summer, I'd make it back from the round trip with about 70% left.

My 2018 FXS has about 10% more capacity, but beyond that, I wouldn't expect a difference between model years.

I'd suggest trying the app again, just the bike logs first, since it's much faster.  I don't know the bluetooth version, but the range is not very good.  That hasn't bothered me, because I just leave the phone sitting on the bike when I connect.  Sometimes the app crashes, but often if you try again either right away or after the next ride, it will download properly.

If it's anything more than a loose connection on a battery module, I think you'll be best off taking it back to the dealer sooner rather than later.

belac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »

To give you a solid comparison, it was 39F in my garage yesterday morning and 32F outside.  Started at 100%.  Mile 0-1 at about 35 MPH.  Mile 1-8 between 65 and 85MPH, mostly about 75 MPH.  When I got off the highway at mile 8, SOC was 77%.  At work at mile 9.5 SOC was 75%.  The return trip was slower due to traffic (30-65MPG) and temperature was about 40F.  Got back into the garage with a total of 19.3 miles and SOC 55%.  In summer, I'd make it back from the round trip with about 70% left.

My 2018 FXS has about 10% more capacity, but beyond that, I wouldn't expect a difference between model years.

I'd suggest trying the app again, just the bike logs first, since it's much faster.  I don't know the bluetooth version, but the range is not very good.  That hasn't bothered me, because I just leave the phone sitting on the bike when I connect.  Sometimes the app crashes, but often if you try again either right away or after the next ride, it will download properly.

If it's anything more than a loose connection on a battery module, I think you'll be best off taking it back to the dealer sooner rather than later.

Do you know if you have the latest firmware?
i dont see the version of hte firmware listed in the app but maybe if i can get the logs it will say. The dealer updated my firmware about a month ago.
if you are not on the newest i wonder if there is an issue with the latest release. is it possible to roll back?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »

I'm not on the latest version of firmware. I picked up this bike in August.  The app has since notified me of an update being available, but I won't update unless convinced if a compelling reason. The firmware information is in the header information once you get the logs.

I sincerely doubt that what you're experiencing are symptoms of firmware. Regardless, there is no reasonable way to roll back to a previous version.

belac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »

i tried another phone and the app crashes on it as well when i try to get the logs.

I did discover the root cause though which is good.

The front battery was completely dead and has been for who knows how long. The connector in the battery bay has a damaged pin. I tried putting battery in the rear position and plugging it in but the bike was unresponsive. I need to research to see if i can just plug in with an odbc ii cable or similar to access the logs. I would like to have a copy of them before i hand it over to the dealer.

When running on a single module, if i wanted to take the dead one out, is there a dummy battery you put in to fill the space? seems like if it was open it might let water get in where it usually doesn't; but since i am only on one i would like to take out the dead one so i'm not hauling around 40lbs of dead weight until i can get it fixed/replaced.
Pages: [1] 2 3