• April 27, 2024, 05:10:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Winter charging question  (Read 772 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Winter charging question
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »

Have a question for the knowledgeable ones here:  I never store my motorcycles in the winter; we have far too many "pleasant" days between the brutally cold and/or snowy days where I live.  I've noticed that if I leave the S on the charger, the battery starts the day about 10F higher than the ambient temperature (based on the readings from the Android app).  If the bike was OFF the charger, the battery temperature matches ambient temperature.  I do not have the luxury of a heated garage.

Under these circumstances, is it better to leave the bike on the charger for up to a week at a time, or should I unplug it once it hits 100%?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Winter charging question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:26:53 AM »

Depending on how cold it gets, I reccomend never chazrging your battery unless it is over 32F. ** If your battery ** (not the air, the battery) is below say 40F you are likely damaging it. Also, I never reccomend charging to fuill until right before you leave. If you are charging to full and letting it sit even just over night it will slowlyt chip away at your range day after day, especially if it is cold.

I actually built this into our charging algorithem because it is so important. At low BATTERY internal temperatures, we slow down the charge rate CRAZILY until the internal resistance warms it up slightly increasing the charge rate as it goes. Also of course you have to taske into account the voltage and how may free spots there are for ions etc...

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »

I remember Electric Terry saying the BEST time to charge the battery in the winter is right after you get back from a ride, as the battery will have some heat in it from being used, which is why I always plug it in IMMEDIATELY upon return.  I figure that is better than letting the battery get ice cold, and then trying to charge it up the night before I want to use it again.  Am I mistaken?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

I commute like every year also in winter (as low as -5°C).
Even directly after drive it will not allways start charging directly outside.
Battery is 35-40°C but sensor controller is 4-8°C and motor 60-80°C, but after 30min or so when kept plugged in it will start charging.
Inside the garage on return it will allways start directly being offcourse warmer inside? Because temperatures are the same on app, but maybe another sensor?

Got an 2013DS.
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

UW4E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »

which is why I always plug it in IMMEDIATELY upon return.  I figure that is better than letting the battery get ice cold, and then trying to charge it up the night before I want to use it again.
I do it the same way  :D
With an electric motorcycle to Iceland - June 2018:
http://www.uw4e.de

Zero S 2015 - 41,000 km / 25,800 miles since July 2016 (Status Nov '18)

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 12:44:30 AM »

Depending on how cold it gets, I reccomend never chazrging your battery unless it is over 32F. ** If your battery ** (not the air, the battery) is below say 40F you are likely damaging it. Also, I never reccomend charging to fuill until right before you leave. If you are charging to full and letting it sit even just over night it will slowlyt chip away at your range day after day, especially if it is cold.

I actually built this into our charging algorithem because it is so important. At low BATTERY internal temperatures, we slow down the charge rate CRAZILY until the internal resistance warms it up slightly increasing the charge rate as it goes. Also of course you have to taske into account the voltage and how may free spots there are for ions etc...

What do you recommend for someone who does store their bike, and needs to keep it around 60% throughout the winter?  There is no option to charge it above 32F.  Better to let it get low or charge it to 60%?

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »

Hey Scotchman, the only option for that right now is the diginow charger which incorporates temperature and lets you set it to charge to whatever voltage you want and holds it there. so you would charge to say 106 volts with it and it would take care of your battery for you.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »

I am actually doing an indiegogo for the setup you want right now.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/diginow-supercharger-v2-5-mass-production/x/19433827
Pages: [1]