• April 24, 2024, 02:56:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero riders in the Bahamas?  (Read 51680 times)

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
Zero riders in the Bahamas?
« on: November 21, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »

Just brought a 2015 SR 12.5 (actually with a new 13 battery) on to Grand Bahama island.  Looking forward to zipping around without any range concerns (island is small), but fingers very crossed for reliability issues.  I'm sure service will be challenging here - and it will be a $3K round trip if she ever has to go back to a dealer (same issue but worse for the Tesla Model 3).
Any others in the Bahamas for moral support !?

2015 SR12 Upgraded to 13.0

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Zero riders in the Bahamas?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »

I actually do know of one. He ordered our chargers because his stock unit died and he couldn't get replacement parts. I'll send him an email with a link to this thread if he wants to say hi.

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

thanks, appreciated.

Vargo6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »

Rider here in Nassau Zero DS 2018.   I've had it for about a year now, using it mostly for commuting.  Love it.  Aiming to get another one with a bigger battery if or when I relocate.

Registration was initially a pain because no one knew what it was or how to classify it.  Actually customs department impounded it because they couldn't figure out how it could work without an engine.  Licensing department gave me issues for similar reasons, with no Zero motorcycles in their systems and they had to get the tech guys to make a totally new entry and they had to figure out how to  match CC's to HP regarding engine size.

I got comprehensive insurance after my agent agreed I had great insurance history with them, but they usually don't give comprehensive on bikes.  But my argument was that it's as expensive as a car.  So they finally worked out a deal.  I am the only rider allowed, which is fine with me :)

You will be asked A LOT of questions about the bike.  Other bikers initially won't like it and I sneak up on everyone because it's so quiet.  So adjust your riding a bit.  Literally no one knows you're there until you pass by.

Regarding parts, the onboard charger was the only issue so far I've really had.  The DiGinow supercharger is a great fix regarding that and if I buy another bike it's a must.  Cut's down on charing times significantly.  I'd check the www.plugshare.com website.  There is atleast 1 fast charging location in GB for what it's worth.  Typically I charge at home though... No big change in my electricity bill at all and because I rarely use my car (either when it's raining or I have heavy stuff/passengers to carry)  my gas bill has significantly dropped.

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »

Hi and thanks for the quick response.  I'm about to embark on the registration and insurance nightmare, so wish me luck.
I'm in charge of GB Power here, and we are pushing EVs hard, we have a few Leafs and NV200s and a Tesla M3, an this is my personal vehicle.  It makes so much sense in the Caribbean.

Vargo6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »

I've seen a few of the electric cars in Nassau as well,  including a Tesla.  I think a lot of people are interested in electric vehicles but are afraid to venture into purchasing something they are unfamiliar with, they potentially can't fix within the country and the initial expense of purchasing one which even with the 25% customs price compared to CC motorcycles.

And traffic on work morning is ridiculous now.  I live on the eastern end of Nassau.  You're lucky if you can leave after 7am and expect to make it for 8am versus me hopping on my bike at 7:45, passing all my coworkers and having the best parking spot at work 3-4 minutes before everyone else arrives.

Other countries I've visited have embraced motorcycle culture.  The Bahamas is still a little old school when it comes to change.

MVetter

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 03:54:00 AM »

Hi and thanks for the quick response.  I'm about to embark on the registration and insurance nightmare, so wish me luck.
I'm in charge of GB Power here, and we are pushing EVs hard, we have a few Leafs and NV200s and a Tesla M3, an this is my personal vehicle.  It makes so much sense in the Caribbean.

Oooh. Brandon would love to talk to you about those EV stations and fast charging your Zero in general. If you could see your way to dropping him a line at brandon@diginow.it I think you two might hit it off really well.

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »

Got insurance (only TP) and plates today, and am now on the road.  Not feeling we need the diginow chargers right now.  Freeport is small, averaging only 45km a day.  110V overnight seems to be all we need.
Just noticed there are hardly any bikes (of any kind) on the roads here.
Import Duty is now down to 10% for Electric Bikes, and for Electric cars less than $50K in value (versus 45-75% for ICE vehicles).

MVetter

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »

Got insurance (only TP) and plates today, and am now on the road.  Not feeling we need the diginow chargers right now.  Freeport is small, averaging only 45km a day.  110V overnight seems to be all we need.
Import Duty is now down to 10% for Electric Bikes, and for Electric cars less than $50K in value (versus 45-75% for ICE vehicles).

I'm not trying to hard-sell you on chargers right now; Brandon wants to talk about your stations. We do other EV stuff, too.

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »

Great, I'll drop him a line...

Vargo6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 06:50:11 AM »

Good to know about the 10%.  There are people I meet each week that are interested but the cost is always a major factor when deciding to bite the bullet.  Hopefully shipping parts will receive the same love.

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »

A-ha! parts I'm not so sure.  Not planning to use many... but with Zero.... we'll see.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 05:17:28 AM »

I was in Nassau this past week while on a cruise and really wished I could have found a way to smuggle my Zero onboard.  We took an excellent taxi tour but the whole time I was thinking "if I was on my bike right now I would..." There are actually some nice roads to explore and roundabouts are always fun. What a great place to ride except for the constant cleaning to keep salt air corrosion at bay.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

amherstburgmac

• Davy Mac
  • Zero in the Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:58 AM »

:) Yes!  Even better way of getting around in Nassau with all the traffic... but in Grand Bahama... wide open roads, wonderful.

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 10:58:30 PM »

When I was getting a license plate for my first Zero in 2011 it was the first electric vehicle on the island.  They couldn't understand that it was neither gas nor diesel, but finally agreed to put "E" as the engine type.  Best part was engine size... I convinced them that since it doesn't have an engine, that means it's equivalent to 0cc, which is less than 25cc, so it should be registered as moped.  Since then my annual road tax has been $28 instead of the $140 that I was used to paying for a motorcycle.  8)

Only people that caught on was my insurance company... one year upon renewing my 3rd party "moped" policy, I got a call saying "my boss googled your bike, he said it's not a moped" and so my insurance premium went up $20.  lol
Pages: [1] 2