• April 23, 2024, 11:25:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I use J1772 current to powered the IEC connector (OnBoard charger)?  (Read 1017 times)

GeneralSP

• View Profile

Hi folks, I have 2018 SR with charge tank, can I connect (Pass a cable to the IEC connector to the onboard charger) directly from the J1772? I mean, when I will charge my bike, I will plug the J1772, on the same time the 240v give a power to the on board charger. Can I make that?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Can I use J1772 current to powered the IEC connector (OnBoard charger)?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:34:34 AM »

The onboard charger is engaged with/by the Charge Tank.

The plug is not required to do this; the cabling is internal.

FWIW a separate J1772 adapter for the onboard charger does exist: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=122
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »

The onboard J1772 adapter from zero is not my goal!

Maybe I bad explain my question. Can supplied the Onboard charger current from chargetank? If yes, I will plug a cable from chargetank to IEC connector.

With this, When I will plug the J1772 in the chargetank, I will supplyed current to the both charger in the same time.

Is it possible? you understand?

The onboard charger is engaged with/by the Charge Tank.

The plug is not required to do this; the cabling is internal.

FWIW a separate J1772 adapter for the onboard charger does exist: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=122

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »

If I understand what you're saying, you will not change the rate of charge.  All you are doing is taking the provided charge and splitting it into two outputs, each one less than the whole.  Physics:  Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed in form. 

If you want to reduce the charge time, you would have to take the input from one charge station and put it into the Charge tank, and then plug the inboard charger into a separate Level 1 source (or use the J1772 adapter plugged into a second charge station).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »

If the charge station can charge up to 30 amp or more, in this condition, it can provide both charger? Chargetank=6 kw + Onboard charger= 1kw. What do yo think?

quote author=JaimeC link=topic=8473.msg71796#msg71796 date=1542813496]
If I understand what you're saying, you will not change the rate of charge.  All you are doing is taking the provided charge and splitting it into two outputs, each one less than the whole.  Physics:  Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed in form. 

If you want to reduce the charge time, you would have to take the input from one charge station and put it into the Charge tank, and then plug the inboard charger into a separate Level 1 source (or use the J1772 adapter plugged into a second charge station).
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:02:43 AM by GeneralSP »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 03:40:14 AM »

I should not have mentioned Zero's onboard charger adapter - it is irrelevant.

Your onboard charger is already engaged while you use your Charge Tank. You can verify this by physically touching the onboard charger in the belly pan under the bike while the Charge Tank is engaged - if it is warm, it's engaged.

The Charge Tank's rated capacity already includes the onboard charger's capacity.

MVetter

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 03:57:44 AM »

Wait so the 2018+ Charge Tank is only 4.7kW?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 06:06:48 AM »

Your onboard charger is already engaged while you use your Charge Tank. You can verify this by physically touching the onboard charger in the belly pan under the bike while the Charge Tank is engaged - if it is warm, it's engaged.

The Charge Tank's rated capacity already includes the onboard charger's capacity.

So, in other words, the using the Charge Tank is already doing what the OP wanted? 

It is confusing because in the owner's manual for the 2018 S model, on page 5.9, it says:

"Note: For motorcycles with a ZF7.2 battery pack, using the On-Board charger in conjunction with the Charge Tank is not supported because it will exceed the max charging rate for the battery pack. A fault code will display on the dash and the motorcycle will not charge at the expected rate."

This implies that if you have the ZF13, or ZF14.4 battery pack you CAN use both the Charge Tank AND the On-Board charger...

Link to the Owner's Manual:
http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2018/2018-Zero-Owners-Manual-S-SR-DS-DSR.pdf
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »

This implies that if you have the ZF13, or ZF14.4 battery pack you CAN use both the Charge Tank AND the On-Board charger...
Or could it mean it is already used on the ZF13 and 14.4 as part of the charge tank, but NOT when the charge tank is used with the smaller battery?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:19 PM »

When I use the charge tank, the Onboard charger is not used. The chargetank use (6 kw power). When I plug IEC onboard charger with it, I have 1kw additional. Thats mean 7 kw total. That why I ask if is possible to supply both with the J1772. If yes, it will not be necessary to find 120v plug to connect IEC (Onboard charger).

The 2018 SR have 14.4 battery pack.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:05:24 PM by GeneralSP »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:06:22 PM »

I would've SWORN I saw a Zero page that actually said words to the effect that the new charge tank, COMBINED with the bullt-in charger, would reduce the overall charge time but I can't find that page (if it ever existed) anymore.

But back to the OP's question:  IF, as you stated, the charge station is putting out more capacity than the charge tank draws, and IF the charge tank can be used with the built-in charger, then YES, you should be able to build some kind of an adapter to divert the unused power from the J1772 connector to the built in charge port.  I don't believe I've ever seen such an adapter so you'd have to take that upon yourself to build.  And those are two BIG "ifs" I listed up above too.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

GeneralSP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »

ok thanks, about manual, check 5.9 page or section.  8)

I would've SWORN I saw a Zero page that actually said words to the effect that the new charge tank, COMBINED with the bullt-in charger, would reduce the overall charge time but I can't find that page (if it ever existed) anymore.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »

ok thanks, about manual, check 5.9 page or section.  8)

I actually quoted that page above, and it remains "unclear."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 01:47:00 AM »

Okay, I definitely interpreted the manual wrong, then, partly by confusing earlier Charge Tank behavior that was rated for 2.5kW.

I’ve never used a Charge Tank and have to work from owners’ reports.

The fact is, Zero doesn’t support a ready splice into the J1772 inlet. And I wouldn’t recommend it without professional training in power cable crimping.

And definitely take Zero’s recommendations seriously. They will charge you for repairs if you exceed their design specifications or modify equipment and it results in damage.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 01:55:00 AM »

Honestly, I wish someone with professional training would look at the equipment onsite and methodically to sort through all this incomplete information.

Zero’s documentation and especially the onboard and mobile app software are not adequate for systems understanding, and I’m tired of trying to sort through confusing forum posts to update the wiki.
Pages: [1] 2