• April 24, 2024, 11:54:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does Zero battery degradation look like? **Resolved by Zero!**  (Read 3588 times)

inhibernation

• View Profile

I may be rebuilding a 40-year-old bike in the living room, but I'm still learning the intricacies of EM's.

I'd forgotten to ask the question at purchase (dealer seemed quite new to Zeros), but have been wondering what battery degradation over time would look like on my Zero.  Visible? (SOC on dash decreasing over time)   Or invisible? (SOC always 100%, but actual range decreasing)

It's a 2016 DSR demo purchased May 2017 with 600mi.  For the first few months, it would charge to 100%.

Since then, the SOC would decrease by slightly more than 1% per month.  By 3,000mi, it would charge to 92%.

At 5,000mi now, it'll charge to 85% and if I re-plug it in, it'll click on and off for 30min to get to 86%.   Starting about 500mi ago, when it's finished charging, the entire the dash will start flashing on and off with the ABS being consistent (below).

I've been completely satisfied with the performance of the bike on the road, but this charging behavior is unusual, right?.  The commute is only 12mi round trip, so I haven't really evaluated whether total true range has changed.  Checked the error codes:  25, 45, 48, 49, 45  go to 0000 once the kickstand's up; seems good.

This is today's result, re-plugged once and still connected to wall charger:

And how it looks when charged.  The time-to-charge timer seems to still expect a 100% goal, but with mine quitting at 85% now, it'll stop 30-90min earlier than that time and start flashing like this:

What does the community think?  Do I need to see a dealer even though it's driving great?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:38:38 AM by inhibernation »
2016 Zero DSR, 2006 HD Sportster 883, 1978 BMW R100

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: What does Zero battery degradation look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »

In this case, it would be better if you gave the voltages when it's fully charged. It should be about 116.5 VDC. Get the Zero Voltage app and see what it says your voltage is at that full 86% SOC.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »

Its either an AMP HOUR bug in the code or your charger is dieing which is a common issue.

If it is the AMP HOUR bug you can tell with the Zero voltage app from the google play store. A firmware upgrade should fix it now.

If your charger is crapping out, you have to replace it with something.

inhibernation

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »

The lack of exclamation points so far is reassuring.  Sounds like I may not be able to trust the display SOC.

Until I get the app setup, can I trust the emailed logs?
Looks like 115.9V @ 85%.

Despite reading through the entire official and unofficial manuals, I'm uncertain whether I can trust when the Zero app says the firmware is up to date on these 2016 models.   It gives no actual numbers to work with.  Does the bike actually talk farther than the app on my phone to know?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:53:10 PM by inhibernation »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »

The lack of exclamation points so far is reassuring.  Sounds like I may not be able to trust the display SOC.

WTF, that is not normal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

But seriously, the thread http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6034.0 is about a 2016 SR with similar symptoms, and contains an mp4 video showing the same LCD display flashing, which appears to indicate a charger issue.

As the Unofficial Manual describes it:
Entire Display Flashes
    If the dash display in its entirety is flashing after keying the bike on, this indicates an onboard charger self-test failure.
    Key the bike off and wait for a few seconds and retry, and it should clear.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »

FWIW, my 2016 S had a little over 17,000 miles when it was totaled in an accident earlier this year.  It always charged to 100% and I never noticed any drop in range.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »

Over the years I have had a few bikes that didn’t run right.  It is amazing what contact cleaner and dielectric grease, silicon can do.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »

Until I get the app setup, can I trust the emailed logs?
Looks like 115.9V @ 85%.

Despite reading through the entire official and unofficial manuals, I'm uncertain whether I can trust when the Zero app says the firmware is up to date on these 2016 models.   It gives no actual numbers to work with.  Does the bike actually talk farther than the app on my phone to know?

Thanks!

The firmware version number can be found in the header of the logs.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »

Logs show something odd. I'm sure Zero CS will see it and reccomend the right steps to take. Looks like a firmware upgrade is in order.

inhibernation

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 03:23:42 AM »

Thank you everyone for the input.

Dealer can't fit me in till the end of the month.  His prescription until then, since I pull the cord everytime it's charged per Zero rec's, is to leave it plugged in for a few days.  I don't imagine that helping the 15 month percentage decline, and it's going to keep the dash flashing like that for days (is there such thing as screen burn on these displays?).  Also reset the BMS. 

Anyway, still love the bike. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 05:19:19 AM »

Thank you everyone for the input.

Dealer can't fit me in till the end of the month.  His prescription until then, since I pull the cord everytime it's charged per Zero rec's, is to leave it plugged in for a few days.  I don't imagine that helping the 15 month percentage decline, and it's going to keep the dash flashing like that for days (is there such thing as screen burn on these displays?).  Also reset the BMS. 

Anyway, still love the bike.

My daughter's 2014 S w/PT stops charging at 92%. But if she leaves it plugged in for a week, it will slowly increase each day and eventually show 100% on the dash.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

inhibernation

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 05:49:20 AM »

UPDATE:  In the last month, it's lost another 2% of battery capacity (83% on dash).  Not long after the dealer pulled the logs, he informed me that Zero would be sending a replacement battery.  When I asked for more details, he passed along that  "[the] Monolith shows signs of aging and 200mV imbalance" but that he'd have to try and get any further explanation from Zero in the next few days.  It's supposed to be shipping this week and will likely be going under the knife this month.

While not catastrophic in the least, I'm disappointed there's such a significant failure at 5,000 mi, glad that there's a solution in the works, and anxious about a very competent, but largely ICE, dealer dismantling this bike.  Here's to hoping that aside from righty-tighty/lefty-loosy on a hundred fasteners, a new monolith should be relatively plug-and-play! 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:53:59 AM by inhibernation »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »

Interesting. Current knowledge says that it's a charger self-test failure. Either that is wrong, or the charger self-tests are inappropriately sensitive to minor battery health issues.

Quote from: Unofficial Manual
Entire Display Flashes
    If the dash display in its entirety is flashing after keying the bike on, this indicates an onboard charger self-test failure.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 01:55:44 AM »

Hey, if you want, shoot me an email at brandon@diginow.it

I can run a test on your bike to give you spome real info. I doubt that your battery is really degraded that much, but we have actual tests for this now and if needed can get it taken care of for you.

The only sad part is that we will either have to send you the parts for the test ~$120 shipping if on the east coast, then if anything needs fixing you would have to take it to the dealer. Or shippping the bike to us, i think around $300-500 shipping and then we can test and if needed fix anything here.

Like I said though, I doubt you have a 2016 which truely has an 83% battery so we could get it fixed up for you quickly if I am correct. If you did have a bad battery, it may take a couple months to fix, but we can do it.

inhibernation

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 03:02:03 AM »

Interesting. Current knowledge says that it's a charger self-test failure. Either that is wrong, or the charger self-tests are inappropriately sensitive to minor battery health issues.

Quote from: Unofficial Manual
Entire Display Flashes

To clarify, the dash only flashes crazily like that when it's plugged in and the charge is complete. Like it trips up at the end and freaks out.  As soon as I unplug the bike, it goes to normal-blank and behaves normal whenever keyed on. 
Pages: [1] 2