• April 26, 2024, 03:03:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Front Brake Squeal  (Read 804 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Front Brake Squeal
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »

I mentioned here in another thread how I got rid of my very loud brake squeal  in my 2017 SR. I simply removed the front brake pads and sprayed some of this stuff on the rear  of the front brake pads.

Then, the loud squeal from moderate and hard braking stopped completely. But then I had a very weak low speed brake squeal that I could just barely hear, but noticeable. I considered it all repaired.

But then, I decided, since these pads are so easy to remove from the floating calipers    (one small      <T-25>   Torx screw and a small clip to remove pads--calibers stay on bike), I decided to remove the pads again and respray them, making very certain that every part of the brake pad metal that makes contact with any part of metal in the caliber is well sprayed.

It worked perfectly! Now there is no trace of any brake squeal at any braking speed at all. Not even the slightest trace.

So Richard230, how did the spray work for you? If not perfect, remove the pads and spray them again! They are a little harder to remove the 2nd time because the stuff bonds a bit to the caliber pistons.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Front Brake Squeal
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »

At the risk of being told what a *@&$# I am I put a TINY bit of high temp (red) axle grease on the pin that holds the pads in place and that took the squeal out of my rear brakes.
Do this at your own risk.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

At the risk of being told what a *@&$# I am I put a TINY bit of high temp (red) axle grease on the pin that holds the pads in place and that took the squeal out of my rear brakes.
Do this at your own risk.
I put some of the anti-squeal everywhere possible where there was metal contact from the pad to anything else that is metal. The idea is no metal to metal contact. Your axle grease probably does the same thing but probably won't last as long as the brake stuff.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »

The anti-squeal spray is working, but only partially. I did use three coats of the stuff before installing my brake pads. My brakes still squeal very loudly when braking hard during the last few feet of a stop. But they remain quiet when braking easily.  I also covered the sliding pin with anti-seize compound.  I still have lots of that spray left and may give the pads another coat or two one of these days when I have nothing better to do.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »

The anti-squeal spray is working, but only partially. I did use three coats of the stuff before installing my brake pads. My brakes still squeal very loudly when braking hard during the last few feet of a stop. But they remain quiet when braking easily.  I also covered the sliding pin with anti-seize compound.  I still have lots of that spray left and may give the pads another coat or two one of these days when I have nothing better to do.
Before adding the 2nd coat let them dry a lot. And I mean a lot. Use them for a week or so and then remove and respray. That's how I have always done it when I still have a slight squeal after the first treatment and that has worked for me every time to completely get rid of the squeal. But it's rather rare to need the 2nd treatment, but this has happened to me before a few times on cars and now my Zero SR. My Zero DS never had a squeal at all the begin with, but if I were going to change the pads, I would still use the anti-squeal stuff. I now use it on every brake pad change regardless if the old brakes squealed or not. This is because I have seen cars not squeal at all until the pads were changed and then have a bad squeal.

Again, make sure the spray is on every possible place where there is metal to metal contact between the metal on the pads and metal on the calipers--not just the back of the brake pads--but wherever metal touches metal.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »

Thanks for the tips, DonTom.

I fear for your life, NEW2ELEC
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »

Sorry for the thread hijack:
Anyone suffer from a warped front rotor?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »

Sorry for the thread hijack:
Anyone suffer from a warped front rotor?

Not on my Zero, although from the loud scraping sounds that my brake pads make when coming to a stop, I expect to see wear marks on my disc one of these days.

However, both my 2005 Triumph Bonneville and my 2009 BMW F650GS have suffered from warp discs, in spite of me being a very easy braker and almost never using my brakes hard.  My Triumph has warped its discs about every 10K miles and my BMW does so every 15K miles.  I have no idea why.  I usually use EBC brake components as replacements, although I have also tried Braking and Bike Master replacement discs. They have all warped.  I once even tried an expensive EBC floating brake disc, but that warped too. I have no idea why this is happening and what to do about it, other than continue to replace brake discs, which typically cost around $200 each.  :(

What I find strange is that I have never had a problem with brake disc warping on any of the other 33 motorcycles that I have owned that used disc brakes, until about 18 years ago.  What I suspect is that the brake disc material used by some (likely Chinese) disc manufacturers are inferior to other more expensive materials, but that is just a guess and I really don't know what is going on.  ???

So no help here. Just sympathy.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »

Thanks Togo.   ;D
To be clear it's a speck on a Q tip and only a smooth film is left after clearing the old brake dust off.  Not enough to drip onto the pads.
It has lasted about 6k miles.
Not instructions just my results.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:15:12 AM »

Make sure to lube the pins well and you can also try this stuff on the metal to metal contact points.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-40300-Brake-Anti-Squeal-Paste/dp/B007XB5GCG
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 04:41:42 AM »

I’m surprised that lubing the pin had an effect. My experience was the stock pads are just super metallic. Upon removal they were galled and shiny. I switched to EBC FA209HH (front on the FXS, DS R, S R). These are semi sintered and cost me $26.00 on eBay. It took a few miles to bed them in and deglaze the rotor of the coating of pad material from the stock pads. Huge improvement! No more squealing and excellent feel .

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »

Thanks Togo.   ;D
To be clear it's a speck on a Q tip and only a smooth film is left after clearing the old brake dust off.  Not enough to drip onto the pads.
It has lasted about 6k miles.
Not instructions just my results.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. 

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]