• April 26, 2024, 01:50:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Filling the rear master cylinder on the FX/FXS.  (Read 339 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Filling the rear master cylinder on the FX/FXS.
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »

After switching my rear pads to EBC FA208HH on my ‘16 FXS, after some miles I noticed that the rear master cylinder level was low. I was going about filling it but it is not easily accessible and quite small on the FXS (FX is even smaller). Spent a while thinking about different methods of trying to fill it, tiny funnel, tiny funnel with a long hose, granny’s thimble, etc. The best solution I came up with was as follows. Found a piece of clear tubing approximately 1/4” I.D. (was a left over battery drain hose left over from the dark ages of ICE machines), cut an 8” long piece. I dipped it into the DOT 4 container, capped it with my finger, removed it, wiped down, stuck it through the bodywork into the reservoir and released my finger. Repeated 4 times or so until the level was at the upper line. Not sure if this will work on the other models but hope it helps.
Say10

Curt

• View Profile
Re: Filling the rear master cylinder on the FX/FXS.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »

I recently changed my '16 FX brake fluid. Your method sounds good for topping it up, but for replacing it, a lot of fluid needs to be run through.

After considering tube/funnel hacks, I found it easiest to detach the reservoir from the frame (one screw) and pull it out from under. It stood propped up by itself. In retrospect, I probably should have temporarily taped it to the frame to reduce the chance of a spill.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Filling the rear master cylinder on the FX/FXS.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:05:01 AM »

I'm flagging this for the unofficial manual, because Zero does make this difficult with the cramped layout in this area.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]