• April 26, 2024, 08:19:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adding a second battery to a 7.2 DS  (Read 508 times)

potboiler

• View Profile
Adding a second battery to a 7.2 DS
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

I was wondering if you buy the 7.2 DS now and find that you need extra range down the line, can a dealer fit another 7.2 battery (or are you limited to the smaller power tank)?

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: Adding a second battery to a 7.2 DS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »

A competent dealership would probably be able to swap out the larger battery for your smaller one, or add the power tank but
either would be extremely expensive.  These are $10,000 to  $20,000 Iphones. Get the one that suites your needs then
Get another one in a few years. I have a 2013 FX and a 2016 SR.  When I got the SR, I was planning to get rid of the FX
The FX is so much more FUN to ride that I kept it.

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »

You would need to also replace the monolith and I believe the BMS.  I think the realistic answer is it would be cheaper and easier to buy a new bike.

I recommend getting the larger one from the get go, even if you don't think you need it. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:02 PM »

I’ve asked Zero before about this, and the Power Tank is a supported upgrade, but not another long brick or a monolith.

The 7.2 frame would need destructive modification to support a monolith. It’s better to just trade in, practically.

Honestly, this baffles me. I thought the entire point of the longbrick was to support such an upgrade.

Fun fact, though: you could easily fit 3 DigiNow charger units into the 7.2 storage area with plenty of room to spare. At 9.9kW, a 7.2 with 3.6 Power Tank would yield 10.8 kWh which could accommodate the DigiNow output perfectly.

You’d still be replacing the onboard charger, but this would remove its weight from the pan.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »

Oh, my other bafflement at the 7.2 longbrick S and DS models is that Zero didn’t offer a lower height option for these bikes by rerouting the power cabling and seat subframe.

These options I’ve mused on must exist on the drawing board but for whatever reason didn’t make the release cut.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]