• April 23, 2024, 10:11:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Options for rebuilding a 2010 zero DS  (Read 3854 times)

Zero builder

• View Profile
Options for rebuilding a 2010 zero DS
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:49:23 AM »

Hello,
I am completely new to the electric motorcycle world, but highly enthusiastic.  I just grabbed hold of a 2010 zero that has a dead battery and the motor removed.  All the wiring is still in tact and the bike itself is in great shape!

My son and I decided it was time to do a project together!  This is it.

I am trying to get a handle on just what motor options there are out there for this thing.  Additionally, what controller did this come with and what batter/motor can work with the controller already installed?  Or, do I just need to start over completely and go with a battery/controller/contactor/motor that all work together.  I have not done a search on this forum as of yet, but if someone has a string that I should read, please feel free to cut and past or just direct me accordingly.  My presumption is that there are better motors to choose from now that eight years have passed, but the controller may not handle updated motors and different voltage inputs all that well.

I guess I am starting from scratch.  I'll take any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Infant

• View Profile
Re: Options for rebuilding a 2010 zero DS
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »

I believe the 2010 comes either with the PERM 132 motor or the Agni 95R, both are DC permanent magnet motors with brushes.

Your battery pack should contain a contactor, but the stock one is only rated at 200A.

I believe they all have the same AXE controller: AXE4855.

What exact model do you have? Any pictures?

WilliamKristen

• WilliamKristen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »

y enthusiastic.  I just grabbed hold of a 2010 zero that has a dead battery and

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »

y enthusiastic.  I just grabbed hold of a 2010 zero that has a dead battery and

And?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

igorbaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »

It comes with the Agni 95-R motor, which is now produced by Saietta. I think could be replaced by the corresponding Lynch motor. Other motors may require frame modifications. For the battery, if you are in USA, the best option is to replace the cells by 7 Nissan Leaf battery modules (search for a thread in this forum), and be happy!
2010 Zero DS w/ belt drive
2010 Suzuki Burgman 400
1997 Honda NX 350 Sahara

Zero builder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:59:16 AM »

Thanks so much for the reply to my request.

I had to take some time off on this project, but it's back on the table.

So, using seven of the leaf batteries sounds like a great idea, and it looks like the AXE controller is accurate, so that would indicate that the system is a 48 volt system and using seven of the 7.6 Volt batteries would work nicely (can you use the charger that is on the bike for those batteries? need to do some foot work there).  If you have a thread on the battery replacement, that would be great!  There are options out there for getting Nissan batteries, but I may just buy a batch and use them for some other projects.

It appears rather difficult to get a hold of the original motor and maybe there is a better option.  I had a friend give me details on the Golden 5 kW motor at 48 Volt.  Just from some drawings on line, it looks like it would fit without modifications.

Any thoughts on the drive motor sprocket sizing?  Since I don't have the original motor I have no idea what size sprocket to consider.  I would rather prefer to move over to belt drive, but it would help to understand that option a bit better. 

I will also look to replace the contactor completely.  Any thoughts on options for different contactors?  I am thinking a slightly higher Amperage than the standard 200.

Any real gottchayas I might be missing here?  I started taking the battery apart and it appears there is a low voltage transformer on the bike to handle the 12 volt accessories, I assume that it's a 48 volt to 12 volt converter, but not sure as there are no marking.

Thanks again for all the support.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »

There was a guy on YT called EV Jedi he redid an old Zero with Tesla batteries.  He hasn't posted anything in years though.
Don't know if he could help you or not.
Good Luck.

igorbaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:18:59 AM »

I would rather prefer to move over to belt drive, but it would help to understand that option a bit better.

https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7439.msg62066#msg62066
2010 Suzuki Burgman 400
1997 Honda NX 350 Sahara

rollandelliott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »

https://medium.com/@ryan.mcneely_93025/restoring-a-2010-zero-s-electric-motorcycle-battery-5575209f2026

this weblink goes into a little more detail, but it still doesn't seem like a total walk through. And the range is about the same as the orginal. Would be worth it to have an extra 7 Nissan leaf to double the energy for longer rides IMHO.

Two2010Ss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »

Yeah, the info is kind of spread over multiple articles/bikes linked in that one. Should be enough to get pretty far though.

https://medium.com/@ryan.mcneely_93025/restoring-a-2010-zero-s-electric-motorcycle-battery-5575209f2026

this weblink goes into a little more detail, but it still doesn't seem like a total walk through. And the range is about the same as the orginal. Would be worth it to have an extra 7 Nissan leaf to double the energy for longer rides IMHO.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »

I've added the Medium post to the unofficial manual as a reference here:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Pre-2013_Battery_Rebuild

This section is hard to find, though, so it'll be reviewed during the coming site re-architecture.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

badfinger101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 05:12:28 AM »

I am in the same  oat as you, I have a 2010 although the motor and battery were there the battery was toasted. I bought leaf batteries from techdirect for about 430 and tried to use the bms and charger but they didn't work so i purchased a bms made for 48 volt configuration using leaf. cells .This worked just fine except there were plugs that were no longer used. To make a long story short there is a black box in the battery compartment that controls the output of the controller so the controller would not power up, well I took a wire and ran it from the relay to the controller, well the controller powered up but had no output.I checked the wiring of the controller with a alltrax diagram and thought well I can just run the controller with a 0-50 k output from the throttle, it is that size pot but when I unhooked the pot the relay would not come on .So needless to say I am still working on a solution . Forget getting any help from zero there wiring diagrams are top secret but if needed I will just start from scratch. It only has 9.4 miles on it and what I have invested I can live with a few inconveniences. JV

igorbaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »

You can find the wiring diagrams on: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Schematic
2010 Suzuki Burgman 400
1997 Honda NX 350 Sahara

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2010 Zero S?
In particular the small green/ white connector in the harness by the headstock that is not attached to anything, am I missing something here?
I have just done the Nissan Leaf cell swap and the bike passes sanity test with 2 beeps and fires up h but only if you short across the feed wire on the Sevcon 12v converter so:
What feed drives the Sevcon 12v step down controller
Also the bike doesn’t actually turn a wheel so wondering where to start looking for that

Also would like the motor cold air motor cowling from the under seat fan, does anyone have one?

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »

Thanks for that rapid reply but it seems to be the late 2013 bike not the 2010
In the meantime I have checked the battery fuses and a the continuity of the kick stand switch
I have no small feed to the “engage” side of the Sevcon controller
AND the motor shows 27v when I turn it on!
This decays to nothing when you switch the bike off
I can hear the contractor clacking inside as well
The red LED does 5 flashes when it sits there
All other electrics work
Pages: [1]