• April 25, 2024, 04:33:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: are there problems with FXS production?  (Read 550 times)

SM

• View Profile
are there problems with FXS production?
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »

We have buyer group here (Israel) that ordered 20 FXS in June from the local Zero dealer.  They were offering some really great pricing because another 50 bikes are going to motorcycle instructors later this year.  In July we were told Zero was offering to upgrade us to 2019 FXS that were to be delivered early this month.  The dealer is still honoring the pricing, though a few of us have dropped out, but the dealer says Zero is not providing a delivery date.  It seems like a real problem with the supply going back a few years. I was in today and they have only new DSR and an FX.  Not a dealer issue they say they ordered 2 container loads. 2 years ago the S was sold out, last year I came with cash for an SR and it was sold out, now the FXS has been sold out since summer and no one will tell me when our bikes will be in.  I was about to go with the ALTA but it doesn't have the same range and not clear whats happening with them.  Do any USA dealer have FXS?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: are there problems with FXS production?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »

I get the feeling that Zero makes a very conservative guess how many motorcycles they might be able to sell each year and orders parts for their new models from their Chinese suppliers accordingly. Then they build all of the bikes they can before the supply of the parts runs out and ships them to dealers. After that they shut down the assembly line and call it a year, while their engineering staff continue to design future models and management starts ordering more parts for the following year's models. But if they guess wrong and sales are stronger than they predicted, the product pipeline empties and potentially those sales. 

My observation is that the Zero investors really don't want to take any financial risks and are very adverse about having more product than they can sell during a model year and potentially needing to offer discounts to get rid of the old models, which has certainly happened in the past. And that would be my guess why the 2018 FXS model supply has dried up for this year.  With large institutional orders coming in, I think we can assume that Zero will be more optimistic in their parts ordering for the 2019 model year.  Of course, the current trade situation and rising interest rates are no doubt also making them shake in their financial boots right now.  ;) 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:33:07 PM »

Do any USA dealer have FXS?

Most dealers do not keep Zero motorcycles in stock so that you can walk in and buy one.  They may have one of each model for demo rides, but if you want to buy, they have to order one from the factory.  As Richard said, Zero probably didn't have enough parts to make that many 2018 FXS bikes.  The 2019 ones should be announced very soon.  I don't know if they are already built and waiting official release or if it will still be a few months.  One person on the internet said their dealer had a 2019 Zero in their store, but couldn't show or sell it until the official release, but that is just the word of a person on the internet. 
  I hope you get your Zero soon.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 03:29:45 AM »

Do any USA dealer have FXS?

Most dealers do not keep Zero motorcycles in stock so that you can walk in and buy one.  They may have one of each model for demo rides, but if you want to buy, they have to order one from the factory.  As Richard said, Zero probably didn't have enough parts to make that many 2018 FXS bikes.  The 2019 ones should be announced very soon.  I don't know if they are already built and waiting official release or if it will still be a few months.  One person on the internet said their dealer had a 2019 Zero in their store, but couldn't show or sell it until the official release, but that is just the word of a person on the internet. 
  I hope you get your Zero soon.

I was able to buy my 2018 S w/PT near the end of November last year.  I had ordered the bike and placed a deposit with my dealer earlier in the month. From the bike's logs it looked like they were fooling with the programming and testing the firmware for about two weeks before it was shipped to the dealer.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

SM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »

The Israel dealer is stocking bikes, typically delivering same day.  I was in again today and the sales manager said they've placed an order for something like 50 bikes just for the next couple of months.  There's a lot of traffic there.  I was trying to convince them to part with their demo FXS, tried for 2 hours.  They wouldn't, I guess its hard to sell what you don't have.  He suggested I contact Zero because they're not hearing anything despite 2019 Zeros showing up at dealers all over the US.  I just asked my brother to take a look at the new FXS if someone in Boston has it.  I just don't understand why we're still waiting.  I placed this order in June and with so many bikes on order you'd think someone from Zero would reach out to us!  I might cancel, need a bike now!
Pages: [1]