• April 26, 2024, 02:41:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Offroad in Eco Mode stall posable?  (Read 460 times)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Offroad in Eco Mode stall posable?
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »

Yesterday I had a chance to do a little off-roading with my 16 DSR.
It was a steep  severely rutted out road with plenty of loose gravel so I elected to use Eco Mode to help prevent wheel spin.
Several sections had quite a grade and it seemed like the motor wasn't getting enough power for the task at hand.
Due to the  terrain (grade-ruts-gravel), I was not able to get a running start.
Fortinitly these sections were short and I was able to get through them but it leaves me wondering if it is possible to stall out while in Eco Mode.

???
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Offroad in Eco Mode stall posable?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »

Yes, have experienced that at lower state of charge. Eco mode stalled going up a steep driveway grade toward the end of my 73mi morning commute. Gave up on Eco mode, held brakes and switched to Sport mode before continuing. Bike ran out of power shortly after cresting the driveway, and refused to charge for several hours. I don't know, but presumably the battery voltage settled upward with warmth from the sun. Kind of an extreme example but you may want to set a Custom mode with more torque for these instances.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »

My battery level was in the mid 60's so in my case charge shouldn't have been an/the issue. 

In your case you were able to crest the top after switching to full available torque (Sport Mode).
What I'm wondering is did the battery recover a bit while you switched modes, or does Eco Mode demand/receive insufficient current to prevent stalling in extreme conditions?
I'm thinking the latter.

As far as programming THE Custom Mode for this application.....
That's a bit of a sore subject with me.
I wish there were several personalized Modes or at least a pre-programmed Off-Road Mode.

This Off-Road excursion was a spur of the moment opportunity & my Custom Mode was programmed for 0% Regen, 100% Braking & Torque.
Not a good setup for the limited traction. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »

Eco mode is just the same as only using 1/2 (or whatever) throttle. It's no magic, I never use it, I just control how much throttle I apply. You get 100% regen with it, and sports mode doesn't, so I have set my custom mode to max everything and that's all I ever use.   

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »

Eco mode is just the same as only using 1/2 (or whatever) throttle. It's no magic, I never use it, I just control how much throttle I apply. You get 100% regen with it, and sports mode doesn't, so I have set my custom mode to max everything and that's all I ever use.   

I find that eco mode works well in beep-and-creep traffic jams.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]