• April 26, 2024, 08:27:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dead BMS board?  (Read 1002 times)

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
Dead BMS board?
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:21:01 AM »

Hello, all:

Been lurking the board since I bought my '17 SR last January.  I didn't have much of a reason to post until yesterday when I hopped on for a ride to breakfast and the throttle failed to allow the electrons to flow.  Thankfully, I wasn't riding to work like I normally would; it was an inconvenience rather than missing a day's pay.

Symptoms: 
*Error codes (I'll just post them all, even the obvious kickstand error) 0006, 0025, 0030, 0040, 0045, 0048
*The Warning light flashes 2-4 (BMS Error)
*Had 100% charge the night before (according to the logs)
*Dash (and logs) show 0% SoC
*All 4 BMS LED Indicators are dead dead. 

I emailed the logs to Zero and myself and got them parsed out.  The dealer isn't open Sundays and Mondays, or else I would have taken it in asap.  I will take it in tomorrow when they open.

To further add to the mystery, as of half an hour ago, the bike has healed thine self!  Sigh of relief, but this bike is my daily driver and I'd really hate to have a repeat performance when I'm trying to get to work.  Parking in DC sucks with 4 wheels! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  How do I keep this from happening again? What caused it in the first place?

Much appreciated,
Nathan

I should also say that I'm over 14.5k miles on the odo, FWIW

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:31:37 AM by CessnaDriver »
Alexandria, VA USA
2017 Zero SR   Previously: 2003 Honda VTX1800-C  and 1985 Yamaha Maxim XJ-700

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Dead BMS board?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »

Was there a BMS reset (buttons on BMS board) performed to get it working again?

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:18:31 PM »

Shadow,

I reset the BMS board according to the unofficial manual (press right (software reset) for a few seconds, wait for lights to stabilize and check error codes, if that doesn't work, press left (hardware reset) for a few seconds, if that doesn't work, press both for a few seconds)

No change in LED indicators, error codes, etc.  Since nothing seemed to change anything, I wrote it off. 

That must have been what got it going though.  At least that's what I'm going to tell myself so I'm not gun shy about stranded  ???
Alexandria, VA USA

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »

It sounds like your BMS was in hibernate. You can tell because all the BMS lights are off and the dash shows 0% SOC. And it was perfectly fine later. if you haven't already, I'd update the firmware.  It looks like they did some bug fixes in the latest firmware for hibernate issues.
See here: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/

Had a similar thing happen on my 18DS recently, and that's what they said to do.

CessnaDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »

Auriga hit the nail on the head.  Yesterday I swung by the dealer and they looked at it for an hour and a half while they were on the phone with Zero.  I was already on their radar after sending them the logs and stopped in first chance I got.  They confirmed it went into hibernation, but should have woken up once I keyed on.  I'm glad they addressed this with a new firmware update.
Alexandria, VA USA

dannsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:45:46 AM »

It sounds like your BMS was in hibernate. You can tell because all the BMS lights are off and the dash shows 0% SOC. And it was perfectly fine later. if you haven't already, I'd update the firmware.  It looks like they did some bug fixes in the latest firmware for hibernate issues.
See here: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/firmware/

Had a similar thing happen on my 18DS recently, and that's what they said to do.
How can I update the firmware myself without the involvement of the dealer?
Pages: [1]