• April 27, 2024, 02:25:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3d-printable fender eliminator  (Read 2337 times)

BenderEmf

• View Profile
3d-printable fender eliminator
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:06:36 AM »

Hey guys, I just finished designing, printing and installing a fender eliminator / license plate bracket / tail tidy for my 2017 SR. The major difference between mine and the existing R&G solution is that mine puts the plate deep under the tail, where theirs still extends out from the brake light.

I'm pretty proud of it. It's a perfect fit and reuses all the hardware that came with the bike. My only concern would be whether the plate is angled a bit too aggressively, but since it's still clearly visible and readable from behind sitting in a vehicle, I think it's alright. Certainly open to feedback, or if anyone else wants to tweak the design, have at it. :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3136698

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: 3d-printable fender eliminator
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:42:16 AM »

I like it, I might remix it to an European size that is a bit less angled because that angle will not pass over here.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:18:11 AM »

Hey guys, I just finished designing, printing and installing a fender eliminator / license plate bracket / tail tidy for my 2017 SR. The major difference between mine and the existing R&G solution is that mine puts the plate deep under the tail, where theirs still extends out from the brake light.

I'm pretty proud of it. It's a perfect fit and reuses all the hardware that came with the bike. My only concern would be whether the plate is angled a bit too aggressively, but since it's still clearly visible and readable from behind sitting in a vehicle, I think it's alright. Certainly open to feedback, or if anyone else wants to tweak the design, have at it. :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3136698

You aren't the hero we deserve, but you're the hero we need!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:15:02 PM by nevetsyad »
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »

Thank you for the kind words!

syncsynchalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:34:35 AM »

This didn't deserve to die in obscurity, I'm bumping it to the top.

My friend printed this out for me and I installed it today, it looks great.  He used 60% infill and it took 19 hours (and barely fit in his printer!).  I sprayed some clearcoat on the resulting piece to keep upsplash from soaking into it.  It reused all original hardware, except I had to buy new bolts for the license plate to fit the lower clearance.

My only concern is the plate angle, in the photo I've bent my tags to an angle I think I can get away with, but I need to print or build some spacers to hit the same angle with actual plates.

Thanks again for this great design!  You really nailed it.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:44 AM »

That looks nice, but it wouldn't be legal in California, where the license plate needs to be at the very end of the vehicle.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »

That looks nice, but it wouldn't be legal in California, where the license plate needs to be at the very end of the vehicle.

That may well be true but it sure isn’t enforced if it is CLEARLY readable. It seems HD license plate rear chain guards fly to my amazement as do trailer fenders. For over 35 years I’ve had DIY fender eliminating “brackets” with fairly radical license angles and never a mention even when pulled over for a “chat” over something else. I’m pretty certain here in California it would just be a fix it ticket anyway. Maybe only true here in nor. Cal.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

syncsynchalt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »

Luckily Colorado doesn't have that requirement, only:

- horizontal over 12" above ground
- clearly visible
- free of foreign material
- at the approximate horizontal center

Only question on this is number two, I think.  Given how many times I see moto plates mounted vertically on a bobbed tail, or car plates with illegal tinted plastic covers, etc, I'm going to make my best effort and then see what I can get away with!

syncsynchalt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 07:59:42 AM »

For anyone else who tries this in the future: I've solved the plate angle problem to my satisfaction by bending some 1" corner braces in a vice to the angle that I wanted.  It looks a little hinky but it gets me on the road until I make custom spacers for my friend to print.  Hopefully the quality is good enough for someone to follow what I've done.  Thanks again Bender!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:01:34 AM by syncsynchalt »

Evilthor

• 2018 SR Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:22 PM »

Two simple 2 inch extensions on the bottom part of the plate would bring it perpendicular and more visible. Also, a thick rubber bottom for the plate so your tire doesnt get chewed up when you hit a massive pothole

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »

I am happy that my design is getting some attention! :)

I hear you all saying the plate angle is just too much. Although I'll personally stick with the original, I don't mind posting a new model with less of an angle for everyone else who might want it. I'll use the image that sync posted with his improvised braces as a guideline.

I should be able to have it done over the coming weekend, or hopefully sooner.

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:28 AM »

Ok, turns out I had some spare time tonight and was able to knock this out sooner than I anticipated! Sync's photo showed a roughly 25 degree difference between his plate and his print, so I worked that into the model and uploaded it to the original Thingiverse link as v2.

Note that I haven't printed it personally to check the fit, but this was a simple enough change that I can't imagine why the new model wouldn't work just as well as the original.

Anyway both models are available so everyone can choose for themselves if they want the sexier v1 or to play it safe and go with the less risky v2. I know what I'm picking, but I won't judge. ;)

PittCaleb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »

Thanks so much for the revision.  Now...  Can you find a way to break it into 2 pieces that would fix on a "mini" printer with 120mm bed?  Note that's about 110 useable when you print with a raft.

I'm thinking break in the middle with a 'key' type connection.  If I had the source in a format I could put into OnShape, I would try this myself.

syncsynchalt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 05:40:23 AM »

Thanks Bender!  My buddy-with-a-printer keeps offering to print a cleaner one, he'll be glad to have an excuse to start it up again!

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:47:07 AM »

Caleb, I use DesignSpark Mechanical for my modeling. The bad news is that they don't let you export files into a neutral format that can be loaded into other tools, but the good news is that DSM itself is free of charge, so if you're open to trying a new tool, you can try splitting the model however you like. My concern would be that if you do split the model, the prints would break apart during a ride after hitting enough potholes, but I can't say that it would definitely NOT work so if you're willing to try it then I have my fingers crossed for you!  ;D

Sync, if you wind up printing and installing the r2, I'd very much like to see a followup picture of it if you don't mind!
Pages: [1] 2