• April 26, 2024, 08:08:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How reliable is a Zero FX from 2017?  (Read 2478 times)

lqbweb

• View Profile
How reliable is a Zero FX from 2017?
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »

First of all, hello, I am from Germany, and I have always been commuting with an ebike (which was close to a motorbike hehe). Now I am planing to upgrade and buy a Zero FXS from 2016 or Zero FX from 2017 (preferably this one).

I know the forum is full of experiences about it, and honestly speaking, they do not look good. I am planning to make ~50km (~30 miles) every day, and I am a bit concerned about problems. Labor here is not cheap.

What are your thoughts about it?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: How reliable is a Zero FX from 2017?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »

My only useful thought is that like most vehicle forums, you only hear about people having problems, because they are looking for solutions.  Owners that are happy and have not experienced problems typically don't post much. So you are seeing the worst and not seeing the best. I have owned three Zeros, all S models, and they have all been very reliable and performed well. I have never had to return to my dealer except for minor maintenance and a couple of minor recalls that were resolved satisfactorily and without expense on my 2012 Zero.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »

I had a 2015 FX for over a year, and enjoyed it just fine.  30 miles a day was easily in its 2-module capability.
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:03:52 AM »

I agree with the previous two. Just in the last few days, there was someone who registered here only because they had a problem. How many others never register?

Personally, I'm on my second FXS. It's a wonderful bike for a short commute. My first one (2016) had some problems that never got resolved. My ssecond (2018) was traded to me by Zero. I've only had it for a couple of months, but so far it's been good. 
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

ZEROCOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

I wanted a 2016 fxs and had a chance to get1 at a pretty good price but decided to go ahead and get the 2017 fxs because of improvements like new motor, wider belt, single long brick battery option and supposedly fixed the over heating issue  the 2016 had. Now the 2018 has even better improvements.
All that said I love my 2017 fxs not that much difference from the fx, tires and suspension set up a little different maybe a few other minor things, I have just under 5000 miles on mine I ride it a lot it's the 6.5 single brick. I had 1 problem had onboard charger failure it was replaced at no cost they even picked the bike up and delivered  it when done no charge for anything and I live 1 1/2 hours from my dealer Letco Cycles those guys are awsome
This was really a minor thing but when the bike was new it came from zero with way to much belt tension, I rode it around and it was just making a lot of noise checked belt and way to tight I had some odd marks on the belt so called my dealer they offered to bring it in and replace it or ship me a new belt I had them ship me new  1 at no cost. saved it for a extra and adjusted the original belt to the new specs and bikes been quiet ever sense  and still using the original belt, new 1 still hanging on the wall.
A second very minor thing was the terrible nasty metal grinding sound the rear brake made, as mentioned in a post on this site I replaced it with EBC Organic pads $20 noise is gone and these felt much better over oem to me.
The belt and rear brake pads taken care of when bike had under 40 miles on it early 2017, the failed charger was early march 2018.
I have had 0 other issues , love the bike, put new tires on it not long ago but ride it so much gonna need a new pair next year. I'm 6'4 220  my daily trips are part town 40-45 mph but with mostly 50 and 55 mph around 43 miles 22-26% battery left.
2017 Zero FXS, 2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R Black, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE, 2009 Yamaha YZF R1, 2006 Yamaha  YZF R6 Raven

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »

No problems with my 2017 FXS either.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »

I wanted a 2016 fxs and had a chance to get1 at a pretty good price but decided to go ahead and get the 2017 fxs because of improvements like new motor, wider belt, single long brick battery option and supposedly fixed the over heating issue  the 2016 had. Now the 2018 has even better improvements.
All that said I love my 2017 fxs not that much difference from the fx, tires and suspension set up a little different maybe a few other minor things, I have just under 5000 miles on mine I ride it a lot it's the 6.5 single brick. I had 1 problem had onboard charger failure it was replaced at no cost they even picked the bike up and delivered  it when done no charge for anything and I live 1 1/2 hours from my dealer Letco Cycles those guys are awsome
This was really a minor thing but when the bike was new it came from zero with way to much belt tension, I rode it around and it was just making a lot of noise checked belt and way to tight I had some odd marks on the belt so called my dealer they offered to bring it in and replace it or ship me a new belt I had them ship me new  1 at no cost. saved it for a extra and adjusted the original belt to the new specs and bikes been quiet ever sense  and still using the original belt, new 1 still hanging on the wall.
A second very minor thing was the terrible nasty metal grinding sound the rear brake made, as mentioned in a post on this site I replaced it with EBC Organic pads $20 noise is gone and these felt much better over oem to me.
The belt and rear brake pads taken care of when bike had under 40 miles on it early 2017, the failed charger was early march 2018.
I have had 0 other issues , love the bike, put new tires on it not long ago but ride it so much gonna need a new pair next year. I'm 6'4 220  my daily trips are part town 40-45 mph but with mostly 50 and 55 mph around 43 miles 22-26% battery left.

I live about 10 minutes from Letko, those guys seem pretty awesome. I've ridden several Zero's there and definitely have the itch. Really glad to hear their service is good, i'm looking at picking up a 2019 fxs from them once they are announced. I'm surprised your at ~26% after only 43 miles.. maybe your having too much fun on it  :D

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »

I have a 2017 FX. I have 2500 miles on it and it is tons of fun with no issues. I weigh 190 lbs and I normally get 50 miles on a charge. Tons of fun!!!!

ZEROCOOL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »

I live about 10 minutes from Letko, those guys seem pretty awesome. I've ridden several Zero's there and definitely have the itch. Really glad to hear their service is good, i'm looking at picking up a 2019 fxs from them once they are announced. I'm surprised your at ~26% after only 43 miles.. maybe your having too much fun on it  :D
I have a hard time keeping out of the throttle way to much fun  :)
2017 Zero FXS, 2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R Black, 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE, 2009 Yamaha YZF R1, 2006 Yamaha  YZF R6 Raven

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 11:23:37 PM »

I had a 2017 FXS (until some moron totaled it for me) and loved it.  No issues at all.  It was perfect for my 16 mile round trip daily commute to and from work.  I ride all year round.  The only thing to be aware of is that when the battery was below something like 50% and it was really cold out the power would be severely limited.  This was not an issue with the bike, but rather the BMS just doing its job.

I've since upgraded to a 2017 DSR and love that model too.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:53:30 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Maribo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 04:31:56 AM »

My 2017 has been completely reliable.  I find it the perfect tool for around town.  In the city here the speed is very low, and I spend 90% of my time sitting at stop-lights.  No point having a super bike.  Range has been 80-100 miles.  It is also more than capable of short bursts of highway, but of course, the range is reduced dramatically.  I think the electric motorcycle platform has a ways to go for regular highway use, but for my situation, it is perfect.
Pages: [1]