• April 26, 2024, 08:17:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another firmware update lands on my 2018 S  (Read 1254 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Another firmware update lands on my 2018 S
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:20 AM »

I just updated my bike's BMS from version No. 31 to No. 34 on my 2018 Zero. The process took about 30 minutes and at the end of that time period, my phone said that the update had "timed out", that the firmware update had failed and to try updating again. When I turned the bike back on, it said that my firmware was up to date and no new firmware updates were available. And so it goes.   ::)

If I notice anything strange when I ride my bike again I will let you know.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Another firmware update lands on my 2018 S
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »

I just updated my bike's BMS from version No. 31 to No. 34 on my 2018 Zero. The process took about 30 minutes and at the end of that time period, my phone said that the update had "timed out", that the firmware update had failed and to try updating again. When I turned the bike back on, it said that my firmware was up to date and no new firmware updates were available. And so it goes.   ::)

Particularly, after having done this update if you can ride your bike from a fully charged state to until it shuts off (I know - inconvenient as hell to ride 70+ miles into roadside rescue situation) then what is the behavior noticed in rides following after this event where the bike mystery firmware could have the opportunity to know the full measured capacity?  Using Anton's app Zero Voltage does the perceived Ah vary much between fully charged sessions and partially charged sessions?

Although if you just enjoy your bike I won't blame you very much :-)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »

Particularly, after having done this update if you can ride your bike from a fully charged state to until it shuts off (I know - inconvenient as hell to ride 70+ miles into roadside rescue situation) then what is the behavior noticed in rides following after this event where the bike mystery firmware could have the opportunity to know the full measured capacity?  Using Anton's app Zero Voltage does the perceived Ah vary much between fully charged sessions and partially charged sessions?

Although if you just enjoy your bike I won't blame you very much :-)

While that would be an interesting experiment, it would require me to be riding anywhere from 100 to 160 miles and I just have too many other things to do right now.  However, I will take my bike out today for a ride to the local Orchard Supply Hardware store to see if they still have any house paint left to buy. If any strange thing happens during that ride and when recharging I will let you know. It look like fall weather is coming next week and I need to get some painting done before the temperature drops and it starts to rain. At least I got my roof rain gutters cleaned out yesterday.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:26:32 AM »

So today I gave my new BMS firmware an easy workout.  I rode 20 miles, used 15% of the battery pack, 10 miles were at 60-65 mph and another 10 miles were around 35 mph. Apparently, the new firmware has made the range estimator very optimistic. I started off with an estimated range of 203 miles. After riding up and down two hills, it was reading 206 miles at the bottom of the last hill. After riding on the freeway for 10 miles, including going up another hill, the estimated range said 155 miles. By the time I returned home with 85% showing on the display, the range was estimated at 145 miles. I have seen this sort of optimism before after a new firmware download and it usually becomes more pessimistic after a while.  ;)

Just for fun, I hooked up my Kill-A-Watt meter and used 2.55 kWh to bring the pack back up to 100%.  That would appear to amount to 17.0 kWh at the wall to fully charge a depleted battery pack, if my calculations are correct. If the charger is 93% efficient, that would result in a battery capacity  of 15.8 kWh, which sounds about right for Zero's 16.6 kWh "nominal" claim for my 13.0 + PT Zero S.

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

To add another data point, I had the identical experience as described in the first post.  Everything seems fine with my bike though I haven't exercised the range estimation yet.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »

Richard, I had a similar experience with the last flash I had on my 2016 Zero.  It will "learn" as you ride, but the fastest way to do it is to run it down completely on a ride.  That will force its estimated range to more accurately reflect reality.  Then as you ride normally it will get more and more accurate.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »

Richard, I had a similar experience with the last flash I had on my 2016 Zero.  It will "learn" as you ride, but the fastest way to do it is to run it down completely on a ride.  That will force its estimated range to more accurately reflect reality.  Then as you ride normally it will get more and more accurate.

I am sure that you are right. But that takes a lot of faith that I won't be stranded somewhere without an electric outlet available. I have a 140-150 mile route that takes me up into the Santa Cruz Mountains, down to Santa Cruz and back up the coast highway, but if I run out of juice there is nowhere to recharge along the route, other than at a gas station and the last time I tried that I was told to take a hike.   >:(

I could take a less scenic route and just ride along El Camino Real, pass dozens of strip malls, auto dealers and condos, but I just don't have the temperament for that. So I am waiting for some day with perfect weather and when I have nothing to do all day long, to go for a really long ride. In the meantime I will have to make do with shorter rides and an optimistic range estimator.  ;)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »

I just had my cellphone and the number for Roadside Assistance if it came to that.  I just headed out on the highway until I had about 51% of a charge left, then turned around and headed back.  Got back to the garage with 1% remaining.  After that, the estimated range after a charge was much more realistic.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »

I just had my cellphone and the number for Roadside Assistance if it came to that.  I just headed out on the highway until I had about 51% of a charge left, then turned around and headed back.  Got back to the garage with 1% remaining.  After that, the estimated range after a charge was much more realistic.

Most of the places that I ride to have fun and to relax have no cell phone coverage.  :(

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »

Does anyone know if it has to be run down completely on a single ride for this to work?  It seems like running it down to zero over a few days would be just as effective.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 12:01:45 AM »

Does anyone know if it has to be run down completely on a single ride for this to work?  It seems like running it down to zero over a few days would be just as effective.

Maybe, but I'm impatient.  Takes far less time to run it down on a quick highway blast than anything else.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59:46 AM »

I think I updated my firmware and I didn't even realize it. But I still am not sure.

Here is what happened.

I asked it to update and it said "searching for updates" and just stayed in that state. I have my  cell phone thingy left on the bike seat, well  within range of my internet wireless, on for more than an hour. When I came back it was still "searching".  So I gave up and tuned it all off.

Today, I tried the exact same thing again.  Now it  instantly says "No new firmware updates have been found for you motorcycle."

So did it update or not? Is there a version number of the firmware that is loaded into the bike somewhere that I can view?

This was on my 2017 DS ZF 6.5.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 04:08:00 AM »

I'm just ignoring the firmware update invitations. I'll drop it off at the deal once a year or two and let them deal with it.
What am I missing out on?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 04:41:42 AM »

I think I updated my firmware and I didn't even realize it. But I still am not sure.

Here is what happened.

I asked it to update and it said "searching for updates" and just stayed in that state. I have my  cell phone thingy left on the bike seat, well  within range of my internet wireless, on for more than an hour. When I came back it was still "searching".  So I gave up and tuned it all off.

Today, I tried the exact same thing again.  Now it  instantly says "No new firmware updates have been found for you motorcycle."

So did it update or not? Is there a version number of the firmware that is loaded into the bike somewhere that I can view?

This was on my 2017 DS ZF 6.5.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I don't know about the 2017 models, but if your screen says that it can find no new updates, I guess it did update.  ???  One way to tell is that the firmware update that I got was for the BMS and when I turned it on for the first time it showed a much greater range estimate than it had before.  I am sure that there is someway to check your firmware updates via the Zero app, but I just can't recall how it is done. Perhaps someone else can advise us how to check them.  I might add that when the firmware is updating, it causes the instrument display to flash all of its symbols in rapid succession.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 04:42:48 AM »

JamieC convinced me that I should run my battery down to 0% today and that is what I did.  See my new thread.
Pages: [1] 2