• March 29, 2024, 08:08:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm looking (again) at Zero motorcycles -- is the company still viable?  (Read 1963 times)

Snafuperman

• View Profile

I'm back to looking at Zero motorcycles.  Is the company still viable?  I don't see any news of their imminent demise but I think you guys would know best from personal experience with your dealerships.  I would not want to spend $18K and have the company fold afterwards . . .

Also, are there any other manufacturers of electric motorcycles/scooters that I should pay attention to?

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
Re: I'm looking (again) at Zero motorcycles -- is the company still viable?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:06:10 AM »

Good question. In the electric vehicle business no one knows, even Tesla's future is not guaranteed.
I think I can safely say that the latest Zero bikes are the best they have ever been. With any brand the local dealer is a bit of a lottery. I know Zero is expanding their dealer network in Europe so I think they'll be here while longer.

For full size street motorcycles, as opposed to scooters, they are IMHO the best for the price. Energica are more expensive, Alta are aimed offroad. If you want something radically different have a look at Johammer. :) If you want large dealer network, that is practically guaranteed to be here for a while, check the BMW C evolution scooter.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:30:13 AM »

If you're concerned about company viability, Zero is the best game in town. They have (by quite a bit) the highest sales, which has gone up every year, I believe for the life of the company (eleven years now?). That's a great sign given that other motorcycle manufacturers are seeing declines in sales, especially Harley, which is starting to flail around trying to stanch the bleeding. In fact someone just said on this forum somewhere that they can't find a 2018 Zero S to buy, because Zero sold out pretty early this year. That's got to be a good sign.

I don't believe Zero has tremendous amounts of VC money backing them, or huge grants of any sort, which means they're living hand to mouth without a big safety cushion, but it also keeps them highly motivated to sell product to keep the doors open. That's why their bang-for-the-buck (As Zarathustra says) is higher than the rest -- it has to be.

Compared by sales volume alone, the other makes are almost custom shops, boutiques at best. They may be viable because of large VC investments or some other large-scale backing, but it would be hard to call them full-on motorcycle manufacturers yet. Until Harley steps into the ring for real, I don't see that changing much.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:51:56 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I liked the Zero bikes a couple years ago and they still look great. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  I liked the Zero bikes a couple years ago and they still look great.

If you liked them then, you will like them now. They haven't changed much.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ZeroRider52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 02:55:11 AM »

The company is still viable, at least in California.  I bought a DSR ZF14.4 the day before yesterday.

Of course, after two whole days and all of 60 miles, I still love it...
Dance like nobody's watching, ride like your hair's on fire!

af1 racing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »

Best they have ever been....we've happily been a Zero dealer since 2011.  The company and the bikes have come a long ways. 

Sales are growing at a good clip.

Looking forward to the 2019s release

Duncan Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 04:35:29 AM »

Given the recent listing on GSA I would say that Zero is in the best position it has ever been.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »

They now have nice juicy government contracting... so even if their dealers all stop carrying them, they will still be around in some capacity for a number of years.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »

I spoke with an police officer in the city where I used to work on Tuesday. He told me that the city just bought 15 police mountain bicycles for trolling around the downtown area and that sucked up their current two-wheel budget. He also told me that he would like the city to buy Zeros but the price was pretty stiff right now and they would likely only do so if they received a grant from some other agency. It is all about money and money is pretty tight right now - if you can't print it like the federal government does.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 06:20:18 AM »

It looks like Zero has had regular injections of money since 2012, but maybe the fact that they didn't have a funding round in 2018 yet a good thing. 

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/zero-motorcycles/funding_rounds/funding_rounds_list

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

I have had three zeros over the years and I still have two of them (my 2010 DS lasted 17,000 miles though).I ride every day and love it. My 2015 SR has 36,000 miles and my 2017 FX (which is mostly used as a dirt bike) has 2500 miles.

It requires a leap of faith to drop a lot of cash on anything but zeros really are worth it, the bike will repay you with miles of smiles.

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 03:36:59 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

One easy question:  If I buy a Zero I will ride it (in rotation) with my 9 other motorcycles.  I ride 4-5 times a week, for about 50 miles each ride, which means I ride one of my bikes about twice a month.  The Zero would be ridden in the same manner.  So, given that I will never ride it more than 50 miles twice a month, can I charge it using a normal 110V line in the garage?  Does the line have to be a dedicated line?  What amp circuit breaker?  Keep in  mind that I won't be buying any super-fast charging option -- won't need it.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 04:00:40 AM »

Yeah no problem. But to be honest when you ride it you don't want to ride gas anymore. Much better riding experience and practically free.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 04:06:46 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

One easy question:  If I buy a Zero I will ride it (in rotation) with my 9 other motorcycles.  I ride 4-5 times a week, for about 50 miles each ride, which means I ride one of my bikes about twice a month.  The Zero would be ridden in the same manner.  So, given that I will never ride it more than 50 miles twice a month, can I charge it using a normal 110V line in the garage?  Does the line have to be a dedicated line?  What amp circuit breaker?  Keep in  mind that I won't be buying any super-fast charging option -- won't need it.

I ride my Zero once or twice a week, as I too have multiple ICE motorcycles that I try to ride at least once a week. I plug my Zero's on-board charger into my garage's 120 V electrical wall outlet that has a 20 amp breaker. The stock on-board charger pulls between 10.5 amps and 11.5 amps, depending upon the state of the charge of your battery pack. So you will have no problem connecting to a line that is shared with other small home appliances.
Pages: [1] 2