• April 26, 2024, 10:21:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking to buy, charge scenario questions  (Read 570 times)

BenderEmf

• View Profile
Looking to buy, charge scenario questions
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a Zero, but I have a couple options that I'm having a hard time deciding between.

The dealership nearest me has two SRs with charge tanks. One is a demo 2018 for $15k + fees, the other is a used 2017 for $11k + fees.

The 2017 seems like a great deal since I'm seeing 2017 SRs on Cycletrader without charge tanks for that price.

However, my understanding is that prior to 2018, CTs charge at 3.8kW. Only 2018s charge at 7.8kW. I'd really like to go with the higher charge rate, but I'm not sure that's worth the extra $4k for an otherwise identical bike.

A third option would be to buy any SR and add a Diginow later. If I were to go that route, I might as well buy the 2017 from the dealer since it's already in the "no charge tank" price range, but can you even install a Diginow in a CT bike, or are they incompatible?

So... if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Bonus question: The person I spoke with at the dealership mentioned that the older CTs charge at the lower rate because of battery chemistry and internal resistance. Was that accurate, and are the 2018 batteries that much better? I think he was mistaken, since the Diginow's only consideration seems to be the number of chargers you buy, and not the MY of the bike, but looking for clarification on that.

Thanks much.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Looking to buy, charge scenario questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a Zero, but I have a couple options that I'm having a hard time deciding between.

The dealership nearest me has two SRs with charge tanks. One is a demo 2018 for $15k + fees, the other is a used 2017 for $11k + fees.

The 2017 seems like a great deal since I'm seeing 2017 SRs on Cycletrader without charge tanks for that price.

However, my understanding is that prior to 2018, CTs charge at 3.8kW. Only 2018s charge at 7.8kW. I'd really like to go with the higher charge rate, but I'm not sure that's worth the extra $4k for an otherwise identical bike.

A third option would be to buy any SR and add a Diginow later. If I were to go that route, I might as well buy the 2017 from the dealer since it's already in the "no charge tank" price range, but can you even install a Diginow in a CT bike, or are they incompatible?

So... if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Bonus question: The person I spoke with at the dealership mentioned that the older CTs charge at the lower rate because of battery chemistry and internal resistance. Was that accurate, and are the 2018 batteries that much better? I think he was mistaken, since the Diginow's only consideration seems to be the number of chargers you buy, and not the MY of the bike, but looking for clarification on that.

Thanks much.
I find just about everything we decide with our bikes is some type of trade-off no matter what we decide.

I don't buy the reason for a slower charge rate on the 2017 charge tank  because the bike  allows as many as five Zero chargers (four external and the onboard) which the 2017 charge tank cannot match in charge time.

It really depends on your own needs. I find my two 2017 Zeros do well for me for my intended purposes. Some may need a faster charging and longer ranges for whatever reason. I don't. 

The 2018 will give about ten percent better range than the 2017 because it does have a better battery as well as the faster  charger. But only you can decide if you really need it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »

BenderEmf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:50:43 AM »

Yup, I'd certainly like to, someday. Part of my question is whether you can install a Diginow in a bike with a charge tank. Does anyone know for sure?

I guess I could get the same info by asking this question: I know that dealers can't install charge tanks, they have to come from the factory, but can dealers remove charge tanks? (Or can the owner do it DIY?)

If so, then I would imagine that there would be nothing preventing you from installing a Diginow at that point. (Or maybe they're already compatible and it's a moot point?)

I guess that's more of an academic question, since realistically if I *really needed* to upgrade the charge capability on a bike with a charge tank, it might be worth it to trade in the bike for something newer at that point anyway.

rockand0rroll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:20:18 AM »

I recently went for the 2017 with CT in a similar choice. Spent less and I haven’t yet found the charge time to be problematic. I suppose going for a long day of riding I could get stuck somewhere for a couple hours while charging, but with these bikes that’s just kinda the deal.

I’m keeping my ICE bikes with the idea that I could go get lost with them easier.... but haven’t started them since buying my Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »

.... but haven’t started them since buying my Zero.

lol You've joined a pretty big club. They get under your skin, these things. They're the drug of choice for many of us now.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:56:19 AM »

just contact Diginow: morgan@diginow.it

They are also on this forum, facebook, internet... 😎
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima
Pages: [1]