• April 26, 2024, 01:13:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need some advice on purchasing my first bike  (Read 499 times)

ZOMGdonuts

• View Profile
Need some advice on purchasing my first bike
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking at a few options right now to purchase as my first bike (I've stubbornly chosen on principle to avoid ICE engines in any future purchase haha :( )

I'm wondering if you guys can give me a heads up on what to look out for. I definitely want a Zero S (or SR). I want to be able to travel decent distances...Say 260km in a day, and I live in Southern Ontario. That really means that I'll need some kind of quick charging option

I'm looking at a used Zero SR (2014) with 37k KMs on it, a Powertank and 11KW battery (14.3KW in total) as well as the Givi Saddlebags. It's listed for CAD 9900. Do you guys think that's a good deal? Would I be able to easily attach quick chargers, and at what expense?

Other options:
2017 SR Demo for just under 16k CAD. Would it be possible for the dealer to install a charge tank on this? If so, it may be tempting?
2018 S for just under 17k CAD. 

Have there been significant improvements on the 2017 & 2018 models to justify getting them in my situation? What would you do?

Thanks so much!

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: Need some advice on purchasing my first bike
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

I'd take a long look at the 2017 SR. There are significant improvements over the 2014. The 2017 is stronger and less expensive than the 2018 S. You can add DigiNow chargers under the tank cowl, or in place of the stock charger in the bottom pan to get the range you want. The 6.6kW ChargeTank is a factory-installed only option. You can also add a PowerTank battery to the 2017 SR to nearly get the range you want. If the price of the 2014 SR is irresistible, see if you can take it for a long test drive.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:08:30 PM »

I had good luck with my 2014 S with PT that my daughter now rides. It seems at least as powerful as my 2018 S. Range is about 140 miles if you don't travel at freeway speeds. But the only way you can get fast charging is with an after-market charger such as the Diginow system or something similar. My old 2014 S had better brakes than the newer model, but the drive belt is kind of thin and the Fast Ace suspension leaves something to be desired. It also does not have ABS if that is important to you. Otherwise, the 2014 model is very similar to the 2018 bikes. Components have improved in quality, but it is basically the same bike. I think you should be happy with any of your options. Let your wallet be your guide.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »

Welcome! I'm another Ontario member (Peterborough area) I think you can rest assured that whatever you get you will enjoy it, consider taking the time to check out Classy Chassis in Lakefield , Josh is a good guy, and they have a few demo's, I want to get an FX to replace my 2013s some day, so if you ever want to go do some test riding pm me!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Scotchman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »

I would do a lot of research on the quick charging before making a purchase, if that is absolutely a necessity.  I want a quick charge solution and have not found one that is tenable yet.  If you want Diginow, plan for another $3300 or so just for the chargers, plus you will need to install them yourself, so make sure you are comfortable with that.

If not, the offboard solutions are heavy but simpler, but nothing IMO beats the convenience of just plugging the charging station into the Charge Tank right on top of the bike.  Lots of people here like Diginow, I have nothing against them, I just don't want to spend that much money on a non-factory option and then its on me to not mess up the install.

Don't discount "slow" charging either, the stock charger is there, and comes with the bike.  If you can charge at your destinations, or plan to hang around a charge station and can use an adapter, it may fill your needs.

YMMV, just its a deeper more fuzzy topic than it may at first seem.

ZOMGdonuts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone!

It turns out the 2017 was only that price if I lived in Quebec. That's fine, I opted to order in a 2018 S with Charge Tank. I definitely don't need the extra power just yet.
Glad I got a decent price on it too, thanks to the end of year clearance!

Can't wait. Hope to get in a few rides before the end of the season :)

Welcome! I'm another Ontario member (Peterborough area) I think you can rest assured that whatever you get you will enjoy it, consider taking the time to check out Classy Chassis in Lakefield , Josh is a good guy, and they have a few demo's, I want to get an FX to replace my 2013s some day, so if you ever want to go do some test riding pm me!

Thanks! It'd be pretty neat to find some other Zero owners in Southern Ontario for group rides some day :)
Pages: [1]