• April 27, 2024, 04:21:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Electric shock from footpegs?  (Read 1992 times)

gessner17

• View Profile
Electric shock from footpegs?
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »

So I have a 6 month old '17 S and I took it on a long ride this weekend (120 miles) and when I was going back I started getting a fairly substantial electrocution through the right foot peg.  So much that I couldn't ride it home and had to pick it up in my truck.  I've looked at the wiring around the motor and don't see any torn sheathing or bare wiring.  It seems to be stronger the faster I go pointing to post controller current somewhere going to the motor.  Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I'm a long way from a dealer but will probably end up taking it to them.  This is a stock bike no "mods".

jnef

• Not so newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Electric shock from footpegs?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »

Just as a point of clarification, electrocution means death caused by electric shock. Since you appear to still be alive, I hope what you experienced was much less severe.

To your point though-  I’m struggling to figure out how you’d feel a strong shock through one peg and not the other, especially with the assumption that you would be wearing boots, pants, and gloves.  The BMS checks for isolation loss at the battery, so loss of isolation pre-controller would be detected reliably.  I’d expect some level of detection on the motor side for an amount of leakage as high as you’re describing, but I don’t know the controller as well as others here.  Did it feel like an AC shock or DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:23:34 AM »

:o  I am in shock! I just can't conceive how that could happen. Perhaps it was static electricity that you felt?  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:29 AM »

Stress it out and take it to the dealer ASAP because I wanna know wtf just happened lmao

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »

Insert eating popcorn fascinated emoji here.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »

So I have a 6 month old '17 S and I took it on a long ride this weekend (120 miles) and when I was going back I started getting a fairly substantial electrocution through the right foot peg.  So much that I couldn't ride it home and had to pick it up in my truck.  I've looked at the wiring around the motor and don't see any torn sheathing or bare wiring.  It seems to be stronger the faster I go pointing to post controller current somewhere going to the motor.  Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I'm a long way from a dealer but will probably end up taking it to them.  This is a stock bike no "mods".
Do you have any medical implants that may have an induction effect?

Are you a boilermaker who does a lot of welding activities of in short shorts and so lots of particles of steel embedded in your body?

What footwear do you have - is it insulated?   Was there wet conditions out?   Setting aside that there's not likely to be an electrical path from the battery to the rider where the bike will still operate and you feel it only in one leg.... I would have to say this is not any condition I have heard of previously EXCEPT for people with a lot of particles of ferrous metal in their bodies and they i.e. enter an Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine at the hopspital hospital; all these particles are ripped from their body (which is a bad time - survivable though) and it completely trashes the MRI machine. Boilermakers and lifelong welders I know have told me stories about this kind of real effect. I am wondering if there is some reason you would experience an induction due to a medical implant or occupational hazard that has introduced ferrous metal to your lower extremities?

*edited* freudian slip
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:48:02 AM by Shadow »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »

Right foot peg ONLY? You have to complete a path for it to be a shock you're getting from the bike, so it would have to be more than just one foot peg, unless it is a static discharge between your foot and the peg. And that would have nothing to do with your speed.

So you also have me very curious what you really felt.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »

Are you guys aware that this story *may* be FUD?
As you all may know there are some severe powers lately against anything
involving wheels and electricity. Take a look at how Tesla is being covered by trolls and mainstreet media taking over a lot of that crap.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »

As you all may know there are some severe powers lately against anything
involving wheels and electricity. Take a look at how Tesla is being covered by trolls and mainstreet media taking over a lot of that crap.
Eh... valid point. Although this forum has seen a lot weirder. The search (mis-?)feature kind of hides (by not being very effective) how really bizarre it was in the past from time-to-time. I just kind of take the admin's word that it gets weird on occasion and actually it's been calm seas lately. I've played an electric guitar on an old 1950's Silvertone tube amplifier that had a "neutral select" switch - if that wasn't in the "correct" position you got a pass-through of mains voltage into the guitar. So... just by the description and it sounding familiar to the feeling I had in my experiences then, I'll allow that it's interesting to discuss what could be causing such a peculiar effect. That's not all that strange, it's a bit of a mystery though, and certainly unusual to hear from the rider experiencing something like this!

P.S. "Electrocution" if the rear ABS was malfunctioning *HARD* would that tactile feedback in the footpeg be confused with uh... I don't know. Also that riding position could just be super awful and you feel "pins and needles" as your nervous system wakes up. I've legitimately broken a foot and had to long-ride home 8+hours including charging stops from just outside of Vallejo CA back home then to Tahoe CA, and it is awful enough to ride with that level of pain when you know exactly what is wrong, it would be very scary to not know and experience some lower extremity issues. Minor coronary arrest? Eagerly awaiting to hear from OP hopefully they are alive to discuss what they know.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:18:25 PM by Shadow »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »

Yes, but I try to assume all questions are legit until well shown otherwise.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

gessner17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »

I"ll try to answer the questions here.  If it's static, it's an enormous amount of static.  I don't have any medical implants and shouldn't have any metal particles in me.  I have a desk job and always have so I don't think that would have anything to do with it.  I understand how electricity works and this baffles me just as much.  I don't know what path it's completing but the only thing I can think of that makes sense would be post controller and following the path to the motor, where it ends, which would also make sense it's on the right side where your foot is close to the motor wiring.  I also get the shock fairly strongly through the rear brake lever, I think it was worse.  I was trying to slow down and I couldn't keep my foot on it and had to use my front only.  At first I thought it was in my head, numb foot or something but if I ride with my legs on the upper rear pegs, I can ride just fine, no shocks.  It's quite uncomfortable on the bottom ones.  This happens with gloves and thicker soled shoes.  To me it feels like AC but I think it's hard to say.  I've been shocked by house current while doing projects and also on cow fences when I was younger.  It doesn't feel unlike house current and not far off on the strength to be honest.  I've pulled my bike apart and inspected all the wiring looking for anything exposed but haven't found anything obvious.  I also thought it could be possible that the motor could have some type of internal short, grounding to the motor casing and then looping back, hitting me on the way. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »

The charge could be due to induction, particularly if one of the grounding straps isn’t fully in contact with the frame.

The relevant strap should be against the swingarm. There’s another near the doghouse.

The footpeg asymmetry may just be a matter of how it makes frame contact.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gessner17

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 06:55:48 PM »

The charge could be due to induction, particularly if one of the grounding straps isn’t fully in contact with the frame.

The relevant strap should be against the swingarm. There’s another near the doghouse.

The footpeg asymmetry may just be a matter of how it makes frame contact.

What do these straps look like?  Can anyone post a pic by chance?

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »

Just throwing out the possibility that it was a nerve being pinched, I have back problems that have occasionally shown themselves as an irritated nerve coinsiding with a "lightning bolt" feeling up my leg, there's always the first one when someone says when did that start!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

gessner17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »

Just throwing out the possibility that it was a nerve being pinched, I have back problems that have occasionally shown themselves as an irritated nerve coinsiding with a "lightning bolt" feeling up my leg, there's always the first one when someone says when did that start!
I've had a pinched nerve in my shoulder before, nothing like that.  This is like when my wife told me she turned of the electricity to the switch i was working on and I believed her. 
Pages: [1] 2 3