• April 25, 2024, 02:53:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 S Front brake caliper removal  (Read 327 times)

c-fut

• View Profile
2016 S Front brake caliper removal
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:59:02 PM »

Hello all. I'm trying to remove the front rim off of the bike to install a new tire but i'm having trouble removing the caliper from the disc. It looks like I have to take the caliper apart to clear the rim to get it off of the disc and I can't figure it out how to do it. I've look at the unofficial service manual but it doesn't show that and I don't want to break anything. Does anybody know how it comes apart? I have removed the t25 bolt but it seems like there are 2 more spots with one being the pivot point and the other should come out but I don't want to try and force anything with a chance or breaking it. Thanks in advance
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2016 S Front brake caliper removal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 03:46:55 AM »

You shouldn't have to dismantle the caliper.  In fact don't do it!  :o You can remove the caliper by removing the two bolts that hold it to the fork. Then you take your hands and press the caliper and its pads against the brake disc, back and forth to spread the pads and force them back into the caliper. That will give you enough space to tilt the caliper to the outside and pass the wheel rim.  You can place some tape on the wheel rim to keep from scratching it while doing this. Be sure not to touch the brake lever while the caliper is off the fork. Reverse the process to install the caliper on the fork, then after the mounting bolts are replaced and torqued to the specified NM, squeeze the brake lever gently a couple of times to re-seat the pads against the disc and you are finished.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »

2016 DSR Front Wheel Removal video:

Caveat that the production value of the video is not very high but I think this is close to what you are interested in.

c-fut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »

You shouldn't have to dismantle the caliper.  In fact don't do it!  :o You can remove the caliper by removing the two bolts that hold it to the fork. Then you take your hands and press the caliper and its pads against the brake disc, back and forth to spread the pads and force them back into the caliper. That will give you enough space to tilt the caliper to the outside and pass the wheel rim.  You can place some tape on the wheel rim to keep from scratching it while doing this. Be sure not to touch the brake lever while the caliper is off the fork. Reverse the process to install the caliper on the fork, then after the mounting bolts are replaced and torqued to the specified NM, squeeze the brake lever gently a couple of times to re-seat the pads against the disc and you are finished.

I will try it that way next time I have to remove it again. I did remove the mounting bolts but couldn't get the caliper off of the disc. I ended up removing the pads then the caliper slipped right out. Putting the caliper back on I had to put the caliper on first then slipped the pads in. Thanks for your help and response.
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

c-fut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »

2016 DSR Front Wheel Removal video:

Caveat that the production value of the video is not very high but I think this is close to what you are interested in.

I watched your video before I attempted to remove the front wheel and thought it was going to be easy but my caliper didn't just pull out like yours did. Do you have a 2016 with Jjuan brake calipers as well? Thanks for your help and response.
2016 Zero S ZF13.0

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »

My recollection is that only the 2014 Zeros used Nissan front brake calipers, I believe all of the years after that used the J.J. Juan calipers.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]