• March 29, 2024, 03:16:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Car Charging  (Read 722 times)

Stevie

• View Profile
Car Charging
« on: August 28, 2018, 04:35:01 AM »

I have a '18 Zero DS 7.2 with a charge tank. Charging at home and at an EV station all work fine.

The other day I stopped at a EV charge station top off before heading home. Battery at 50%. There was a Chevy Volt using the single port. The driver left a note saying "OK to unplug"'. I had enough charge left to make it home so I decided not to unplug him because I didn't know if that car had to be keyed on to start/restart a charge. My Zero does. Once started I can remove the key.

Can any/all electric cars be charged by simply reattaching the J1772 plug. I would have done this if I needed some charge to get home.

Thanks
2018 DS 7.2 Charge Tank

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Car Charging
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »

Yup just plug in and walk away, zero should strive to make it work just like the cars to avoid the confusion
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »

Yes.

By the way, the wiki has a good table for checking on charging EVs on the go to understand which ones are wisest to unplug:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Other_EVs_Charging_Indicators
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »

Thanks Ndm and Brian.

I've printed the Wiki table and will keep it in my wallet. Since getting the Zero this was the first time I've stopped to charge and found all the outlets in use. In my area of Vermont almost all the stations are free.
2018 DS 7.2 Charge Tank

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »

Chevy Volt Gen1    dash    off = done
Chevy Volt Gen2 or 3    dash    blinking = done
Chevy Bolt    dash    solid = done

That's LOL... Depending on which version/model of chevy, the light coding can be different, and even reversed!
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »

On my 2017 Volt, blinking green light indicates charging in progress... 1 blink is charging during the first 20% of battery, 5 blinks is during the last 20% so it's nearly finished.  Solid green light on means fully charged and still plugged in.

Is mine an anomaly?  If another Volter can confirm me, I'll go update the wiki.
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »

Others have addressed the charging indication, but nobody's said anything about the note. To me, if the owner left a note saying it's okay to unplug, I wouldn't have any hesitation. Nice of them to leave a note, actually -- far more common in my experience is the plug hog that plugs in then leaves for hours without leaving a note like that.

Was this a free charging station? If so, the owner was probably just taking advantage of some free juice, and didn't really need it. If it was a paid station, you couldn't unplug them, charge up yourself, then restart with their account anyhow, so they must have known what they were getting into when they left the note.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »

Very good point about the paid vs free station.  I'd say these guidelines definitely *only* apply to free stations, unless the owner left such a "ok to unplug me" note at the paid station.
2015 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »

Another thing just occurred to me...it was a Volt, which is the hybrid, the Bolt is the BEV, right? So charging up a Volt is pretty much unnecessary anyhow, and probably more expensive at a charging station than just putting gasoline in the tank.

One more reason I wouldn't have had any problem unplugging him/her.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »

Yep... any Volt will almost always be "opportunity charging", given its gas backup.

Getting back to the OP's key question, though... I've not encountered *any* car that required being keyed on to initiate charging.  So for that aspect, I'd not sweat it.
2015 Zero SR

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »

Nope, the volt is a plug in hybrid, it means once the battery is depleted that's it... And it costs way less to use the battery...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »

Nope, the volt is a plug in hybrid, it means once the battery is depleted that's it...

I've driven my Volt thousands of miles with the battery completely depleted.

My Volt's battery was at 0% when I test drove it.  This particular dealer didn't seem to worry about keeping their Volts charged at all.  It would be feasible for me to never charge my Volt, and forever use it as a gas-only car.
2015 Zero SR

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »

I've driven my Volt thousands of miles with the battery completely depleted.

My Volt's battery was at 0% when I test drove it.  This particular dealer didn't seem to worry about keeping their Volts charged at all.  It would be feasible for me to never charge my Volt, and forever use it as a gas-only car.

The beauty of the Volt is it's a series hybrid. So even when the battery is depleted and the ICE starts up, you're still driving electric. The ICE is charging the battery and supplying the electric traction motor. The advantage to plugging in a Volt is you get some silent time before the battery runs down and the droning ICE starts.  :)

Also, regarding unplugging cars: Some have the ability to lock in the connector and/or set an alarm to go off if the car is unplugged. I think you'd be safe when they leave a note saying it's ok to unplug, though.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

giacomo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 10:43:45 PM »

Second generation Volt has a parallel drive train, it means that the motor also works on the wheels.
I have been on the first generation Volt, and when the engine engage is very noisy .....

Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 03:41:09 AM »

So many helpful responses.

Yes, it was a free ClipperCreek station. From now on if I see an "OK to unplug" note I'll go ahead and do so and when finished reattach to the car.

I had considered the pay vs free scenario and if absolutely necessary I could restart the car's charging using my account. (Sema or Chargepoint). This would obviously be pricey for me considering the cost to charge a Zero compared to an EV car.

A funny thing happened the other day. I had just finished charging and was putting on my gloves and helmet. An EV car guy drove up and started bitching me out for parking my bike in an EV spot. I calmly pointed out that my bike was an EV like his car. He muttered something under his breath as I backed out of the spot.

Generally, however, the EV car owners and bikers are enthusiastic and full of questions. Many want to snap a photo.
2018 DS 7.2 Charge Tank
Pages: [1] 2