• March 29, 2024, 09:24:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wheel bearing failure symptoms?  (Read 442 times)

dukecola

• View Profile
Wheel bearing failure symptoms?
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

On the Zero, is this a pending Wheel bearing failure?  I hear a different sound when bike is leaned? When I'm riding straight bike sounds normal, when I lean either way, a different hum appears then goes away when I'm back upright.  I checked the wheel, no play in it at all.  Could it be the new tires? They have 2000 miles on them. My stock tires didn't make a different sound when leaning. Anything else i should look at? Thanks

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: Wheel bearing failure symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:14:59 AM »

This is probably (might be) heel toe on your tires, meaning that the tire tread is worn uneven, and leads to tire humming when leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:03:05 AM »

I'll take this opportunity to plug a new troubleshooting triage system I'm attempting with the manual:

At the top, a Symptom category tree: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Symptom
With sounds: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Sound
And wheel sounds in particular: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Wheel_Sound

I'd like to revise this based on what is learned here.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 03:43:42 AM »

Are you running knobbies?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:50:05 AM »

Thanks guys.  Nice plug brian, I'll check it out.  Not running knobbies.  The tires do not look worn at all, unlike the stock tires where the cupping was obvious. But they never changed sound.  I've had this sound for last 100o miles, at first I thought it was just because I changed to a different model tire.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:01:38 AM »

I hear the same sort of thing when cornering next to a concrete center-lane barrier. I think the sound may be a reflection of noise from the barrier. 

Wheel bearings tend to make a low rumbling noise that can't be heard over wind noise. Also, sometimes your windscreen or helmet configuration might make a high pitched whistle noise.

The best way to check for failing wheel bearings is to pull your wheel and turn the bearing with your fingers, feeling for any roughness.  You can also try putting your wheels on a wheel stand so that they are off the ground and turn them by hand while placing the end of a mechanic's stethoscope against the wheel hub and listen for a clicking or rumbling noise.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:02:08 AM »

As always, I appreciate the continued contributions from Mr. Trice :) 

I'd suggest to at least consider the possibility that nothing is amiss. I noticed something similar on my 2016 FXS - slightly more noise when leaned over to either side. At first, I suspected something may have been wrong, but then I thought that with the Zero being so quiet, I could simply hear so much more. While I certainly could have come to the wrong conclusion, I figured that a reasonable explanation was that I was hearing more noise from the tread pattern when leaned over since it is deeper; I do a lot of straight line riding and the center tread wore more quickly.   The issue never progressed. I traded my bike in after only about 9K miles, so can neither confirm nor deny if there was a problem or not.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR
Pages: [1]