• April 26, 2024, 09:59:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mennekes Type 2 connector Wiring / Pinout  (Read 8714 times)

Cjd000

• View Profile
Mennekes Type 2 connector Wiring / Pinout
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered, I’ve been searching with no joy.

I’m using a EU Mennekes Type 2 charging setup. Bought the connector and cable to wire to my Chargers (DigiNow / TC Charger - see separate debate, please don’t start one here!)

I need to understand the pinout for the connector. What I have at the moment is as per the attachments...

PP - 220ohm resister to PE (earth)
CP - ?? Not sure what to do with this - connected to PE directly ??
PE - Earth
N - neutral
L1 - live
L2 - not used as only need 7kw
L3 - not used

This works fine at home, but none of the charging stations I try recognise the cable as connected. They just sit there waiting for me to connect.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here but think it might be the CP pin as none of the instructions say what to do with this.

Can anybody please help?

Thanks,
Chris

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: Mennekes Type 2 connector Wiring / Pinout
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:46:49 AM »

This is how i connected mine. And it works just fine on the 11 & 22kw stations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:48:43 AM »

I can make a Mennekes connector/adapter DIY page on the wiki once this is resolved well enough to communicate.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:59:51 AM »

The PP signals to the chargepoint (EVSE) what the maximum is that the cable of the vehicle can handle.
220 Ohm if for 32A (this has nothing to do with how much the EVSE supplies or can supply)

the CP needs a diode with a series resistance of 2.8 kOhm to PE. Parallel to this 2.8kOhm resistor you need a 1.3kOhm resistor with a series switch.

When The EVSE detects a plug being inserted (by the PP pin) it puts a constant 12Vdc signal with a series 1 kOhm resistor accross the CP and PE pins.
The diode and the 2.8 kOhm resistor cause the 12V voltage after the 1 kOhm resistor in the EVSE drops to 9V. The detector in the EVSE detects that a puts a 12V PWM signal on that pins indicating the current the EVSE can supply. You can use this signal to display it, if you would want to.
The vehicle should interpret this PWM and set its charger accordingly. The vehicle then closes the switch (paralleling then 2.8 kOhm and the 1.3 kOhm resistors to form a 880 Ohm resistor. This causes the voltage to drop to 6V on the CP pin. This in turn signals the EVSE to apply 3x230V to the main power pins.

Or in laymans terms :
If the switch is open, the vehicle sends a "I'm ready to receive a charge"  signal. The charging point will then send a PWM signal indicating the maximum current it can supply.
If the switch is closed the vehicle sends to "commence" charge signal and then the 3x230V is applied to the connector.

If the switch is opened again the power will be disconnected by the charging point.

So you need 4 items
diode (eg. 1N4001)
resistor of 2.74 kOhm (according to spec) but a 2.8 kOhm works fine.
resistor of 1.3 kOhm (according to spec)
switch

See attached schematic for clarity. The mentioned components are R2, R3 and D1

Using a single 880 Ohm resistor as the above post suggest may work for most station but it is not exactly accroding the spec
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:04:42 AM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:34:42 AM »

Do you have 1 or 2 TC chargers ?

If you have 2 it makes much more sense to have :
* the onboard on L1 and N
* first additional charger on L2 and N
* second additional charger on L3 and N

This way you can use 11 kW stations as well, which is not possible if you want to get 6.6 kW on 1 phase
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging

Cjd000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 02:08:07 AM »

Thanks remmie

Just to check are we talking about the same connector? Your diagramme title is ‘J1772 signalling circuit’ and you mention 11kw stations.

For the U.K. system we have the Mennekes connector and 7kw or 43kw (I think) outputs.

On the L1, L2 etc setup for multiple chargers I had the same idea initially as I have two TC Chargers and the onboard, however the number of chargers that just offered single phase 7kw has pushed me down a different route.

I’m considering having a second cable for the multi phase approach.

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 02:47:23 AM »

Thanks remmie

Just to check are we talking about the same connector? Your diagramme title is ‘J1772 signalling circuit’ and you mention 11kw stations.

For the U.K. system we have the Mennekes connector and 7kw or 43kw (I think) outputs.

On the L1, L2 etc setup for multiple chargers I had the same idea initially as I have two TC Chargers and the onboard, however the number of chargers that just offered single phase 7kw has pushed me down a different route.

I’m considering having a second cable for the multi phase approach.

Oh OK, Maybe in the UK it is different then. Here in the Netherlands (and also in Germany, belgium and france) we have mostly 11 kW (3x16A) stations with more and more 22 kW (3x32A) stations and fast charge stations of 43 kW (3x63A) That's why i mentioned the multiphase approach. If most of the charge stations in the UK are 7kW (1x32A) then it is better to use both on L1 indeed.

The mennekes type 2 uses the J1772 specification for signalling to start and stop the charge on the CP pin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772 for more info on the signaling sequence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_connector for info on the mennekes connector where in the right column under the heading "data" signalling you can find that the type 2 connector uses the J1772 signalling sequence

Cjd000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »

Brilliant, thank you for such a great response remmie.

Diodes ordered and should be with me by tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I get on.

I’ve also ordered a switch to embed into the connector. I like the idea of the additional charge start / stop signal to allow everything to be disabled properly before disconnection.

On the 3 vs 1 phase point, we do have some of the 22kw and 43kw chargers you mention, it just appears the bulk of mine in the north of the U.K. are only 7kw. Once they start upgrading them I’m sure I’ll change my connector setup.

Thanks again

christ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »

great knowledge remmie - thanks. I have built a cable from type2 to 13A exactly as specified but when I plug in the type2 inth a point point at Sainsbury the point point just keeps clicking. Whould you have any advice?
Black Zero DSR 14.4 2018

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 01:45:08 AM »

Other way around... CP is short for Control Pilot. Not the PP..

It's the CP that handshakes with the EVSE with a PWM signal.. so.. you need that part to be able to talk through the cable..

FlipOW

• Dutch SR/S driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 01:06:54 AM »

Sorry for bumping this topic, but as I am about to make a cable myself following the above mentioned specs I am interested whether some of you have made progress on this or some might have experiences to share. If I understand well I can follow the scheme of “skoleskibe” while using the components as specified by “remmie”?
Former: 2013 ZERO DS ZF12,5 - 2017 ZERO DS ZF13  - 2021 RGNT MOTORCYCLES CLASSIC NO.1 7,7 kWh
Current: 2020 ZERO SR/S Premium - 2019 Kia E-Niro 64 kWh

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:26:00 AM »

Sorry for bumping this topic, but as I am about to make a cable myself following the above mentioned specs I am interested whether some of you have made progress on this or some might have experiences to share. If I understand well I can follow the scheme of “skoleskibe” while using the components as specified by “remmie”?
Yes, I have made a similar cable. It is depicted here.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

FlipOW

• Dutch SR/S driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »

Made a cable this morning, currently testing it at a public 22kw charging station. Seems that the cable works very well. Used only 2 880ohm resistors and the diode.
Former: 2013 ZERO DS ZF12,5 - 2017 ZERO DS ZF13  - 2021 RGNT MOTORCYCLES CLASSIC NO.1 7,7 kWh
Current: 2020 ZERO SR/S Premium - 2019 Kia E-Niro 64 kWh
Pages: [1]