• April 25, 2024, 11:13:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regen across model years - what have you noticed?  (Read 445 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Regen across model years - what have you noticed?
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:28:00 PM »

Other than some demo rides of the other models, I've only ridden my 2016 and now 2018 FXS. 

On the 2016 FXS, the braking regen felt quite abrupt.  Looking at the app while I rode, torque would jump to -12 ft-lbs as soon as I hit the brake at any speed above 7 MPH and stay steady until I released the brake or dropped below 7 MPH.  The only time I'd see something with a smaller absolute value than |-12 ft-lbs| would be what I'd assumed was averaging during a sampling period when regen was only active during part of the time. 

On the 2018 FXS, the braking regen felt smoother and not quite as strong.  Using the app now, I see smaller magnitude values of regen torque that seem to vary.  I haven't spent that much time watching it yet, but I'm wondering if regen is programmed to ramp up and/or if the regen varies based on speed or some other parameter.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Regen across model years - what have you noticed?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:55:06 AM »

I have/had the custom regen set to max when braking and none when coasting on both my 2014 S and my 2018 S. Both bikes' regen felt the same to me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »

I have had a 2012 XU, 2013 FX and 2016 SR
The XU seemed to have very strong regeneration
When I picked up the FX, it felt like the regen wasn't
working. After riding it, and having the app on it,
It WAS working, just not as strongly as the XU
The SR felt similar to the same loss of regen as
the XU to FX. I have been told that it is because
of the weight. When comparing maximum regen
on the app The FX does indeed have greater regen
than the SR. I believe that this is intentional as I
have read of people hacking into the system and
adding a " brake " lever on the left handle bar
with enough regen to lock the rear wheel.
And, we all know that this is true as it is on the internet.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »

It occurs to me that the weight of the bike will have a lot to do with the drag caused by regen.  Assuming that both motors are programmed to provide the same amount of regen, a lighter bike will slow down much faster than a heavier one.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »

KrazyEd,

I am sure it is possible to lock up the rear wheel by using strong regen at least under the right conditions. Energica has the regen tied into the ABS system so if strong regen does cause the rear wheel to lock up the ABS system will kick in.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »

The "weight" as being the difference has been presented. I have had a passenger on my fx, making the weight similar to my SR.
It is still much stronger on FX. As I said, I did comparisons using the app and the FX showed MUCH higher numbers than the SR.
I would run again and publish the numbers but, DC DC converter is out on the FX and I haven't had time to look at it. As I recall,
it was somewhere between 15 and 20 percent higher on FX. If someone would like to check their FX / FXS / and / or SR DSR
and post the numbers I could help solidify answers, rather than conjecture. What I did was to find a long section of downhill,
Got up to about 80 mph then, apply brake and observe the numbers. I did it this way to make sure that the bluetooth delay
would be accounted for. Also, if I recall, there is little to no regen at high speeds, so this way it gets to ease into it.
I will try to test the SR again and post the numbers. With work and heat, it will be difficult to find time.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

My 2013DS:
I have custom 100% regen braking and coasting.
Requires a subtile right hand, but I love it.

My coasting regen motorbrake is weaker above 120km/h.
So I take it into account when wanting to engine brake and are above 120km/h: more active braking.

Also if temperature to high (motor above 116°C 《at 100°C red warning temp》) my power will be cut, but also:
my engine braking will be like in neutral.
So also take that into account when approaching traffic / a corner   :o  8)

Also funny fact (for me):
When I drive like a grandma (smooth some call it) to speed limit and slow down likewise:
my battery has only slightly more % after 75km than if I drive:
 like me (.....) and go fast to speed limit but also (engine)brake hard.

I know wich I choose more often.....

More on question:
A FX is made for a lot of power at low rpm, and likewise has therefor a lower topspeed than a S.
So probably the diameter of drivetrain are different also?

So when slowing down the opposite of accelerate will be like:
more engine braking than a S while the basic engine and controller are almost the same?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:22:43 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima
Pages: [1]