• April 26, 2024, 09:48:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Good news after bad - Zero and Cyclemax of Gaithersburg MD made things right  (Read 836 times)

domingo3

• View Profile

TLDR: Zero gave me a 2018 FXS to replace my 2016 FXS at no cost to me after being in multiple shops for months.

While I'm tempted to just say nice things since it seems they made things right in the end, I want to try to give a balanced view of what happened so others thinking about buying have full disclosure.  I've dealt with several geographically separated dealers, I'll call A, B, C, and D.

July 2016 - Purchased from Dealer A, bike delivered in a crate to my driveway.

Winter 2016/7 - Began to notice unexplained high regenerative braking when under full throttle.  This would resolve itself after a second or so, but was still disconcerting/dangerous.  I consulted with Dealer A, who reviewed my symptoms and logs.  They agreed that there may be a problem, but couldn't do anything further remotely and said the bike needed to be brought in to a dealer to connect to diagnostics with Zero HQ.

March 2017 - Brought bike into Dealer B, which required a 2.5 hour one-way tow.  Communication was pretty poor.  After a couple of weeks, I started to call them regularly to check on things and they just said they were still working on it.  Started to call Zero and they didn't seem terribly receptive to getting calls asking what was going on, but did say they were working on it and the dealer would be in touch.  On one of my calls, Dealer B tells me they were just about to call me and that the motor will be replaced, but it will take some time since the motor has be be specially prepped specifically for that bike before being shipped.  After a little over a month from when I first brought it in, I call the dealer and they say they were just about to call me to tell me my bike is ready to pick up.  I pick up the bike and they say they replaced the motor.  No paperwork given.

Winter 2017/8 - The bike has a lot of current limiting.  At times, it can't maintain 50 MPH.  I consult Dealer A again, who has always been helpful, and after a while, they again conclude that it needs to be brought in to a dealer to connect for diagnosis. 

March 2018 - I decide to bring it to Dealer C, since I heard good things from another rider and they are about the same distance from me as Dealer B.  After a week, they call and leave a message that they can't reproduce the issue.  I delayed in calling back for another week since I was on vacation overseas.  I explain in more detail the circumstances when current limiting is most severe - basically when not fully charged.  They try again and reproduce the issue.  After it's there for about three weeks, I start calling more often to ask for updates.  They always say that they've sent data to Zero and are just waiting for them to respond.  I start calling Zero, and they seem somewhat bothered that I'm calling them and not working with the dealer.  I explain how long it's been out for and that the dealer is pointing the finger at them.  Zero tells me that the dealer has not sent them the data that they are waiting for.  This continues on and on, with neither party willing to accept responsibility.

April-May 2018 - I tell Dealer C in late April (the bike has been with them for over a month) that I never thought it would take this long, and give them a heads up that I am moving out of state on May 31st.  I hope they can fix it by then, but either way, I'll need to pick it up and move it.  They assure me that they'll be done in plenty of time.  Early May, they tell me that the motor has been diagnosed as faulty and needs to be replaced.  I remind them about my moving date and ask about the lead time for the motor based on what Dealer B had told me, and they have no clue.  I call Zero to tell them about my move date and ask about the lead time for the motor.  They say there is not lead time, they have a motor in stock and will ship it out the next day as long as the dealer puts the order in.  I call the dealer back, they say they will put the order in that afternoon.  I call Zero back and they say the dealer will have the motor at the beginning of the week.  I call the dealer back at the beginning of the week and they tell me times of day when shipments come in.  Other parts have come from Zero, but no motor.  I call Zero back, and they say matter of factly that it wasn't shipped.  We're now in late May, and there's not enough time to get it fixed before I move.  I go pick up the bike then finish up packing up the house.  I call Dealer D and explain the situation.  They say I can bring it in as soon as I get there.

June 2018 - I bring the bike to Dealer D.  It's only been a few days since I called, and they already have the motor waiting for me.  They are backed up with work, but get the motor installed and back to me before the month is over.  (To be fair, I wasn't too concerned about the time at the dealer at this time because I was living out of a hotel and walking to work) On the ride home, I notice that there are some firmware issues associated with the bike model not being programmed correctly.  I've seen these posted on the forums and, while disappointed, figure it's an easy fix.  I contact Dealer D to arrange a time to get the firmware issue fixed without leaving it in the shop for an extended period of time.  They suggest in about a week and a half. 

July 2018 - Before I bring it in for the firmware, I experience the same issue as back in the winter of 2016/7.  I explain the issue and bring it back to Dealer D.  I call the following week.  The dealer tells me they were able to reproduce the issue and they'll call me when they know something more.  Fearing that this could take a long time to repair and with my warranty about to run out that the issue could come back leaving me stuck with paying for repairs, I submitted paperwork for lemon law arbitration. 

August 2018 - I get a call from the dealer saying that Zero is going to give me a 2018 FXS at no cost to me in exchange for the 2016 that they can't figure out.  He says that this is the right thing to do and that the decision has already been in the works.  Coincidentally, they received communication from the lemon law arbitrator and they were surprised that I had started that process since I've been so cool up to this point.  I could tell the dealer was trying to smooth out the relationship and make me feel like a valued customer. 

In the end, I think I'm happy with Zero replacing the bike.  I was really ready to walk away from the company, and if I pushed the arbitration, I probably could have.  I'm willing to give them a second chance and hope that this bike is trouble free.  From my limited observations, there's a huge variation in the knowledge and support that you get from the dealers.  The higher volume dealers seem to not have issues with communicating with Zero and the lower volume dealers have big problems.  It's unclear whether that's the fault of the dealers or Zero, but I suspect it's a combination of both.  I tried to be patient with Zero being a small company, but am still disappointed that they didn't seem to be concerned until things hit the breaking point for me.  I use my bike as a daily driver, so not having it for 5 months over the course of two years really threw me off.  Even something as simple as giving me a loaner bike would have nearly eliminated my grief, but I didn't feel right asking a dealer I hadn't purchased from and suspect I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.  Maybe that should be a standard practice/policy from Zero.  If they don't want their demo bikes loaned out to owners for extended periods of time, then figure out how to fix things faster.  I totally get that my situation was an anomaly, but the anomalies need to be addressed much better if Zero's going to expand to regular users and not just a base understanding fanatics.  I watched the forums  for a couple of years before jumping in to make a purchase and thought that 2016 was the year that things were ready for prime time.  I hope now, with a 2018, that I can join the ranks of people that just ride and believe it's really odd when someone has a problem.  I love riding electric and would have had a hard time going back to ICE.

2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Richard230

• View Profile

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences with your Zero, domingo3.  I sure am glad that I didn't have to go through with what you did. I have never had anything but good experiences with Zero and their dealers, but I have noticed a change in customer service as discussed on the forums since I bought my first Zero in January 2012.

Twice in 2012 I had my Zero picked up by the factory at my home, taken to the factory where they performed some minor repairs and returned to me a few days later, possibly because the retail dealer wasn't fully up to speed regarding diagnosis and repairs yet. When I bought my 2014 S, the dealer installed the Power Tank and then couldn't get it to work.  A Zero technician drove about 100 miles to get to the shop, spent three hours replacing a defective PT and repairing a wiring connector that was damaged when the bike was assembled at the factory.  I have had no problems after those experiences during the following years that required any interaction with my dealer.

I now have a 2018 S with PT and it has been running just fine.  I hope your experience with your new 2018 SR is just as enjoyable and you never have to go through what you did during the past two years. 

Having said that, I think we will all agree that Zero really needs to do something about their customer relations and their ability to communicate with their retail dealers when it comes to customer complaints and repairs. Nothing is more frustrating to a customer than finger pointing back and forth between the factory and a franchised dealer.

What Zero really needs is a roving customer relations and technical ambassador who can actually visit a shop and meet with both the customer and the dealership owner or shop manager in person to communicate, explain, and resolve issues, instead of blowing them off with unreturned emails and finger-pointing. To me that seems like a better system than relying on telephone calls and emails when problems like yours arise.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile

What Zero really needs is a roving customer relations and technical ambassador who can actually visit a shop and meet with both the customer and the dealership owner or shop manager in person to communicate, explain, and resolve issues, instead of blowing them off with unreturned emails and finger-pointing. To me that seems like a better system than relying on telephone calls and emails when problems like yours arise.

I’ll do it. What are the hours?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

I wish literally anything about this story could be shown to have resulted in some improvement or lesson.

As owners, some of us are asked to put up with a communication blackout for months on end and never informed of anything about the bike’s systems.

I would like Zero to put some visible effort into instilling confidence in the servicing process.

Fiat declarations of competence and insistence that we trust them are hollow.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile

I wish literally anything about this story could be shown to have resulted in some improvement or lesson.

As owners, some of us are asked to put up with a communication blackout for months on end and never informed of anything about the bike’s systems.

I would like Zero to put some visible effort into instilling confidence in the servicing process.

Fiat declarations of competence and insistence that we trust them are hollow.

Yup.
Zero should realize if they sell a commuter bike there are people also commuting on it.

Need it every day like a .... car?

So the support should be top, else they should say we sell toys and we as a customer will be more forgiving (expensive toy tho !!)

Even so, till now not a single issue while riding every (working)day 150km in any weather.
But it will sure make me feel even better knowing that if needed the support is great from Zero(and dealers).

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:42:20 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

qorw

• View Profile

TLDR: Zero gave me a 2018 FXS to replace my 2016 FXS at no cost to me after being in multiple shops for months.
Really sorry to read about your experiences, sounds as bad as mine with the 2014 DS I bought early 2016.

I am however not so easily "bought over", getting a new 2018 FXS to replace your flawed 2016 may sound very nice and be vary satisfying riding it, but it could suffer a similar fate, eventually, or other worse problems (like the FXS at my dealer with failed motor, that owner also waiting for months now for replacement).

So I am finally at the point where Zero said they would buy back my 2014 DS because they cant fix it back to the state it was in before their BMS firmware update failed (and basically trashed the bike)

Reason the buy back is taking so long... they are all on summer vacation and nobody there gives a toss!

Please fill in the survey on the realted topic on this forum; I selected "too many problems, will never own one ever again", maybe you do too?

2014 Zero DS, 2010 BMW R1200R, 2013 BMW F800GS

domingo3

• View Profile

Please fill in the survey on the realted topic on this forum; I selected "too many problems, will never own one ever again", maybe you do too?

I did take the survey (>=3 It still irritates me).  As I said, I really was ready to walk away, but chose not to. I really enjoy the bike when it works, and it's pretty unique on the market. For me, the realistic I options were either stick with Zero or go back to ICE.  Even from the negative experience, I recognize that we who have these issues are in the minority and my chances of a positive experience in my second ownership are good. Zero still needs to fix their owner-dealer-factory relationship if they are going to grow. With more competition coming, I think they will decide their own fate over the next few years.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

It's good to see something positive in the Forum Subject lines!

Often people compose the Subject line when they are frustrated about something, and don't change them when it's resolved, leaving those looking at the threads with a negative impression...
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

> Please fill in the survey on the realted topic on this forum; I selected "too many problems, will never own one ever again", > maybe you do too?

> I did take the survey (>=3 It still irritates me).  As I said, I really was ready to walk away, but chose not to. ...

I owned a 2011 and was very frustrated.

Bought the 2014 SR on the "early adopter rebate" buy-back, thinking I would probably flip it. 

Glad I didn't.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

dukecola

• View Profile

FWIW, years ago after months of inaction by Chevy (they actually told me that a replacement part wasn't made anymore on my vehicle that was still under warranty) they finally fixed my vehicle. I don't think it was a coincidence that the date for arbitration had just been scheduled. Lesson learned, as soon as a vehicle is eligible to go to arbitration, do it.
Pages: [1]