• April 26, 2024, 07:26:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quantya test ride  (Read 9449 times)

skyclark

• View Profile
Quantya test ride
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »

Here is the review I wrote of the Quantya Strada.
Pictures at the bottom.

I learned about Quantya a few months ago while doing research about building my own electric bike.  Quantya is a small Swiss company founded by an avid rider as an environmentally friendly alternative to the bikes currently on the market.  Since I live not far from their US headquarters in Long Island NY I gave them a call to see if I could take one for a ride.  Dario, the American contact, and I talked on the phone and he offered to bring the bike to my house for a demo.

This afternoon Dario arrived in a black Landcruiser with the bike on hitch mounted rack.  We introduced ourselves, chatted for a few minuets and he pulled the bike off the truck. 

The Strada looks good in the pictures I saw on the internet and looks just as good in person.  This is a real production bike with attention paid to every detail.  Hydraulic disk brakes, a full headlight/ taillight/ indicator set, and suspension by Marzocchi and Sachs make this a very well outfitted machine. 

Since the motor delivers torque so quickly and the bike needs no clutch Dario warned me to be careful starting off and not to turn the key on until I was ready to take off.  Apparently several people, in their excitement, have given the throttle a twist before they were ready to ride away and found the bike flying out from under them.  I carefully eased on the throttle and pulled out of the driveway.

The ride this bike delivers is awesome.  Torque is instant and very strong and pulls the front up easily a twist of the wrist.  Comparing the electric performance to gas is hard because of the difference in torque output but with my short ride I put it somewhere in the 250cc class.  Dario mentioned that this model, the Strada, is tamed a bit for the street compared to the Track model.  Despite the taller gearing the bike feels snappy and very quickly rockets you to the governed speed of 40 mph.  The controller delivers smooth acceleration that, with some practice, is very easy to control.  The rear linked suspension is firm yet absorbed the bumps I took it over with ease.  The narrow “tank” area is well contoured and was easily gripped with the legs.  I’m six feet tall and sitting on the seat, I was able to put one foot flat with the other foot resting on the toes.

When asked about the battery life Dario said that their test rider got a minimum of twenty minuets riding full out racing and a max of three and a half hours riding trials.  He also mentioned that the bike is governed at 40 mph because speeds over that drastically lover battery life.  The controller is reprogrammable for higher speeds but doing so voids the warranty.

Talking after my ride, Dario said that quality is on of Quantya’s highest priorities and I could easily see that in the Strada.  Things like the jackshaft that is between the motor and wheel show how carefully the designers thought out the chassis.  The jackshaft turns on the same axis that the swing arm pivots on so that the chain can remain tight constantly and so that the force put on the motor output shaft is consistent. 

Before I rode the Strada I thought it was going to be a neat toy but not have the performance of a real motorcycle.  After riding it I’m convinced that electric machines are capable of delivering nearly everything gas bikes do with the added bonus of being quiet and clean.  The largest drawback of this bike it the range.  You can’t go for extended trips or fill up out of a buddy’s tank if you run dry.  I live in New England where trails are shorter than out west so I think it would serve my purposes just fine until the battery technology catches up.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:08:21 AM by skadamo »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quantya test ride
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:52:21 AM »

Thanks for the pics and the review skyclark!  That bike looks awsome.  That is cool he came out to you with the bike.

Never noticed the digital fuel guage.  Cool.

Never knew about the "jackshaft" either.  Interesting.  Kinda like a serious cush drive?  Does the dirt verion have that I wonder?

Man, i want to ride one of those.   ::)

Interesting that high speeds drain the battery faster.  So if you hold 40 wide open you probably won't go very far I assume.

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:08 PM »

It was very cool of him to come out and demo it for me and it seems like they have a great attitude/ company mission. 

The dirt model also has the jackshaft.  That feature is very cool because of how it eliminates chain sag issues as well as protecting the motor.  Things like that are what makes this bike so nice and show how care was put into the design.

I was told that at 40 mph flat out on hard packed earth or pavement you get about 20 miles.  I only had a chance to ride it on the street so 40 felt slow on the faster streets since the limit was obviously artificial and the bike wanted to go faster.  On single track 40 should be decent and the torque will be awesome for pulling up hills but its definitely not a desert machine.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

Hi Skyclark!

Thanks for the awesome write-up and photos!  Extremely informative!
Do you think you'll buy a Quantya?  The Strada or the Track version?  Or even the SuperMoto?

The East Coast rep is arranging for Dario to bring a demo bike to me to try in a couple weeks. 
I am looking forward to it! :D

Cheers!
-=xring=-

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:33:31 AM »

I would love to buy one but funding is short right now.  I will buy one as soon as I'm able -- I think it will be the Strada so its street legal.

Where do you live xring?  Im in southern CT for now.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »

I'm near Seattle, WA.

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »

I thought you might be in New England if Dario was coming to your place.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »

Apparently, he's out on the West Coast for some events, and might be able to swing up to the Seattle area afterwards. 

xring

• View Profile
Re: Quantya Strada test ride
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:48:23 AM »

Dario (CEO of Quantya US) and Claudio (CEO of Quantya Worldwide) came to visit me yesterday during the "West Coast Demo Days." http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0

LEVEL OF CUSTOMER ATTENTION
Not only did they come up to meet me, but they set up the demo literally right outside my office building.  This is just one indication of the fantastic level of customer service that Quantya provides.  All of my emails and phone calls have been promptly and professionally answered.  Talking to Dario in person was a great experience as well. 

Of course, Dario and Claudio had other meetings in the area, but it was certainly very nice that they went a bit out of their way to personally demo the Strada to me. 

STRADA TEST RIDE
My test-ride with the Strada was a lot of fun.  Skyclark's excellent review pretty much covers my thoughts, so I won't repeat what skyclark already wrote.  Skyclark also did a great job with the photos.  People should definitely keep in mine that the experience is a bit different from riding gas-powered motorcycles. 

IT'S QUIET!
The Quantya Strada is nearly silent, which is somewhat eerie for those expecting noise even from the quietest ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).  I noticed sounds while riding the Strada that I normally would not expect to notice while riding a gas-powered motorcycle.  For example, I heard the chain running over the sprockets... and yes, the chain was properly lubed.  I also could actually hear the brake pads bite down on the rotors when I applied the brakes.  I rode the Strada along the Bellevue Golf Club and none of the normally fussy golfers minded that a "dirt bike" was zipping around... they really didn't even notice me.  Of course, I stayed on the pavement.   Attitudes may have changed if I did venture onto the greens. :)

I also rode through the affluent residential area neighboring the golf course.  None of the residents out in the front yards minded that I was riding a "dirt bike" into their secluded cul-de-sacs.  In fact, no one even realized I was there because the Strada was so quiet.  A couple of resident joggers looked at me curiously, but didn't seem to object to my riding a "dirt bike" through their neighborhood. 

I can easily see how the Quantya lack of noise emission opens up opportunities to ride in areas that would normally frown upon motorcycles and other noisy vehicles.

PERFORMANCE
As skyclark mentioned, the Strada delivers torque as soon as you crack open the throttle.  Dario mentioned that the performance curve can be tuned to the rider's preference so if you want even more torque (can you say instant wheelies?), he can set up the Strada accordingly. :)

Dario can also adjust the limit on the speed governer.  The demo Strada was set up for 40 MPH maximum, and pulled energetically to that max. 

Dario had mentioned that the throttle on electric motorcycles work a little different from the throttle on gas-powered motorcycles.  From what I understand, if you're already moving, you need to roll the throttle to match the motor RPM before you feel the throttle add acceleration... basically, for someone expecting a gas-powered experience, it might feel like a dead-spot in the powerband... it's not.

APPLICATION
For me, I'd be riding the Strada for my daily commute... and for fun zipping around locally.  My commute is 20 miles round trip mostly through residential neighborhoods, meaning stop signs and stoplights, as well as some hills, and some open stretches with 35 MPH posted speed limit.  The Strada's performance and range is fine for my needs. 

FIT
I'm 6' tall and 215 pounds on the gym scale.  The Strada felt comfortable for my test-ride and I imagine that it'd feel fine for my commute.  Here are a couple photos to give you an idea of the "fit."

WHAT I THINK
Based on my test ride with the Quantya Strada, I agree with skyclark that the Strada is a high-quality production electric motorcycle.  The Strada seems like it will be fine for my daily commute and for fun local rides whenever the mood strikes me.  These are my initial thoughts ... I'll add more as people jog my memory with questions.  Feel free to ask! :)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:37 PM »

You guys are killing me!!  Man I want to ride that bike!  :D

Thanks a lot for the review.  Your observations have helped me understand how the bike feels and it’s power delivery.  Great points about riding past a golf course and through neighborhoods.  Interesting that people were not annoyed.  I have seen guys tearing around my neighborhood on street legal KTM’s and the noise makes you stop what you are doing to look.  I love to see it but I am certain others hate it. 

I live near the edge of the once ever expanding Chicago suburbs where housing developments meet corn fields.  In today’s housing market there are lots of vacant construction areas and dirt hills wasting away.  That Quantya would be perfect for some stealthy fun close to home.  I doubt anyone would even notice.

Most of my riding is in tight woods near the Illinois river in Ottawa, IL (Buffalo Rock).  I never get more than 5 miles from the truck.  Hey, I live in the Midwest, what can I do :D  There are lots of steep climbs.  Lots of them unclimbable for all but the best.  Me not being one of them…yet.

So, I am curious about traction on steep climbs.  Would this bike be more likely to break the rear tire loose than a 4 stroke 250?  Is the power easy to control with a steady throttle hand?

I am also curious if the bike will overheat when moving slowly (< 10 mph) in tight woods and 90+ degree heat.

How is the weight distribution?  Does it feel top heavy like a big 4 stroke or light like a 2 stroke?  Is the power delivery similar to either one in any respect?  I know, I probably have to ride one but I don’t have a Dario!  “Where for art thou Dario?!?!”  ::) sorry, that was over dramatic but I'm dying here.

Thanks Xring!

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:10:34 PM »

Nice writeup Xring, Im glad that you were able to get on it.
Do you think you will get one?

skadamo - The power delivery is very smooth once you get the hang of it.  Like Xring mentioned, the throttle is different than a gas bike and took me a little be to get used to.  After a few minutes of riding you should feel comfortable creeping along at 5mph or roosting the fellow behind you.

Dario mentioned that he thinks this bike will be unstoppable at hillclimbing.  He says that since the torque is available at such low rpms and is so easily controllable you should have not trouble going up the steepest hills.  You wont have to worry about breaking the tire loose because you wont be on the clutch trying to keep the power up and the wheel slow.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »

Skadamo - I think it's easier to maintain traction on the rear tire during steep hill climbs with the Quantya Strada (or Trax) than with a gas-powered "dirt bike."  I got accustomed to the Strada's throttle very quickly.  Plus, you control the power delivery with just the throttle, whereas on a gas-powered motorcycle, you need to juggle the clutch and throttle simultaneously. 

Also, keep in mind that the controller can be programmed to suit your preferences.  So if you prefer immediate wheelie-popping torque to boost you over the berm or a more gradual roll-on to ease you away from the stoplight, it's all do-able.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

Here's the latest update for the dates/locations of the West Coast Demo Days... via email from Dario

I am now in Sacramento and leaving for SoCal on Monday for customer deliveries and test rides. I am planning for a test ride on Wednesday the 20th or Thursday the 21 at Piru MX or an alternate location if that should not work out. We have a lot of people that have written to us in the past that are waiting for this ride and are aware of this event, but if you get the word out also that we will be in SoCal, it is highly appreciated. Next event will be on the 23 or 24th in Garberville, CA.

I hope that helps for anyone hoping to test-ride the Quantya Strada.  You can confirm via email to info@quantya.us I think Dario has goodies for you if you mention this forum :)

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »

Someone (you?) on another forum mentioned goodies as well. 

Did you get anything good?

I want a Quantya t-shirt.

xring

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »

Here's the latest update on the West Coast Demo Days ...

Dario wrote -
I am now in the LA area and have a demo set up for:

When:
Wednesday Aug, 20th 2008  THIS WEDNESDAY!   In 2 days!  Make it happen!
4:30-5pm start time… ends when it’s too dark to ride.

Where:
The Demo will be held at a private residence in Malibu off Las Flores Canyon
22634 Mansie Lane Malibu, CA 90265
(Google earth it!)
Directions are as follows:
PCH Northbound to Las Flores Canyon (at Dukes Malibu) go RIGHT.
Follow Las Flores Canyon up until it dead ends at a “T” (It’s 3.4  twisty miles) to Rambla Pacifico Go LEFT
Go ½ mile on Rambla Pacifico to Mansie Lane GO RIGHT on Mansie Lane
End at 22634 Mansie Lane

There will be a couple 08’ Quantya bikes to ride.  There will be some food and drinks and…. there are some killer dirt riding trails right there at the demo venue to play on!  

Remember to mention this forum!  I think Dario may have some goodies for you if you mention this forum! :)
Pages: [1] 2