• April 27, 2024, 04:22:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monolith Power Tank question  (Read 6130 times)

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
Monolith Power Tank question
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »

I’m running a 14 SR w/PT
Main battery is an 11.4 kwh (nominal). Usable is probably about 10kwh.
PT = 2.5 kwh
13.108 kwh = pre-PT failing

The PT is failing.
Should I remove it?
Unofficial manual - I didn’t find anything there.

Cost to replace = likely $3k.
I don’t feel it’s worth $3k

If I remove it, will the bike need to be reprogrammed?
Anything else I should know?

How do I know it’s failing?
The logs tell the story
-and-
Zero (Andrew) stated the same.

Log suggestion - Every owner should download, save and review them on occasion. Why? If a problem pops up, the owner will have a baseline pre-problem.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Monolith Power Tank question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »

Remove and sell PT for parts, yep. It's easy to do, pay attention to the torque values of the motor controller terminals too tight or too loose are bad ideas. Bike may need to be told the new capacity but it won't hurt it to run as-is. Just need serial terminal access no secret software required.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:03:30 PM »

Doesn't the PT fall under the battery warranty?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »

Doesn't the PT fall under the battery warranty?

My recollection is that the battery warranty for the 2014 models was only two years.  But I could be mistaken about that, so it is a good idea to check the warranty agreement to be sure. If the battery warranty was for 5 years then that would cover the PT and it should be replaced without charge by a Zero dealer, which would be a lot easier than trying to replace one of the main battery modules and should only take them a couple of hours.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:22 PM »

The battery warranty for 2013+ models is 5 years.

The unofficial manual lacks specific PT information because I only acquired one in the last several months and haven’t had problems with it using the latest SCv2.5 programming.

It’s the same as an FX power pack module, though. Power Tank batteries are FX batteries.

If you have to ask for basic information about Power Tanks, you should not be disassembling them. Get the BMS logs and send them to Zero and take it to a dealer.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 05:48:15 AM »

The battery warranty for 2013+ models is 5 years.

The unofficial manual lacks specific PT information because I only acquired one in the last several months and haven’t had problems with it using the latest SCv2.5 programming.

It’s the same as an FX power pack module, though. Power Tank batteries are FX batteries.

If you have to ask for basic information about Power Tanks, you should not be disassembling them. Get the BMS logs and send them to Zero and take it to a dealer.

Brian, Thanks for your comments/concerns. I'm only interested in possibly removing the PT, not disassembling the PT.

~~~~~~~~~

Remove and sell PT for parts, yep. It's easy to do, pay attention to the torque values of the motor controller terminals too tight or too loose are bad ideas. Bike may need to be told the new capacity but it won't hurt it to run as-is. Just need serial terminal access no secret software required.

Shadow - sounds like a plan. With the DIY info, will I remove it? I'm not sure yet.
Pros - shed 45 pounds, Maybe install a fast charger there.
Cons - None that I foresee.

As I do miss the increased range, maybe Zero will allow me to return the failing PT for a credit on a useable PT. The big question is: Should I? With the 2018 capacity increases, would it be worth it? I saw an 18 SR (ugly white) with a 15.5 battery about 2 weeks ago. I see the PT’s are 3.6 kwh. That’s 19.1 kwh nominal, probably 18 kwh useable. 

For Erasmo and Richard - As for warranty, I’d rather not go into the back story of why I asked my original question.

The warranty fine print for a 14 SR is buried pretty deep on the Zero website at: 
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/warranty/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »

You’ve already posted on a public forum where Zero can read it. I think you should contact them about it and see what they offer. It is within warranty.

But seriously, have a dealer look at it. You have no real idea what the problem is. It could just be a loose connector leading to the BMS deciding not to connect. You’ve presented no evidence to determine anything other than that it’s not closing its contactor.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:17:58 AM »

You’ve already posted on a public forum where Zero can read it. I think you should contact them about it and see what they offer. It is within warranty.

But seriously, have a dealer look at it. You have no real idea what the problem is. It could just be a loose connector leading to the BMS deciding not to connect. You’ve presented no evidence to determine anything other than that it’s not closing its contactor.

Brian, If you want the back story, please contact me at the e-mail address in my profile.   
Pages: [1]