• April 26, 2024, 09:04:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying a 2018 FX, questions about battery options and tires.  (Read 670 times)

Jeff Adams

• View Profile

Hey everyone, I did a little searching and didn't find the answers so hopefully these aren't already discussed to death.

I'm buying a 2018 FX and one of the things I'm trying to decide is if I want the 7.2, or the moduler 3.6 with an extra battery.  In particular, are different year batteries compatible with the modular bikes? Seems like last year the batteries were good for 3.3 kwh and this year they're 3.6, so if next year they're 3.9 can I just buy a pair of those, plug them in and have better range on this bike?

Also I'm inclined to put on knobbier-than-stock tires for offroading, I like the TKC80's but there isn't a factory-size rear available (there's a 120/90/18 vs the factory 120/80/18). Are there any known issues with slightly oversize tires?

Thanks!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Buying a 2018 FX, questions about battery options and tires.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:49 AM »

Yeah, the batteries are compatible across model-years. (Edit: photos of the 2018 Power Tank battery indicate that it might not fit older years, but that's me speculating)

You might have a little trouble if you use two different years' modular batteries together in the same setup, but it'll be relatively minor like sometimes one battery will connect but not the other until their voltages match. (Fixable by starting a charge or by riding, depending on whether the higher voltage battery connects).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

RickSteeb

• View Profile
Re: Buying a 2018 FX, questions about battery options and tires.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »

Hey everyone, I did a little searching and didn't find the answers so hopefully these aren't already discussed to death.

I'm buying a 2018 FX and one of the things I'm trying to decide is if I want the 7.2, or the moduler 3.6 with an extra battery.  In particular, are different year batteries compatible with the modular bikes? Seems like last year the batteries were good for 3.3 kwh and this year they're 3.6, so if next year they're 3.9 can I just buy a pair of those, plug them in and have better range on this bike?

Also I'm inclined to put on knobbier-than-stock tires for offroading, I like the TKC80's but there isn't a factory-size rear available (there's a 120/90/18 vs the factory 120/80/18). Are there any known issues with slightly oversize tires?

Thanks!

I like the modular batteries especially because you can pull the front one and have a 42lbs lighter wheelie machine!

Also I have a set of Dunlop Geomax knobbies available if anyone has a need.  I resorted to a more street-worthy set of dual-sport tires...

110/90-18 rear, 90/90-21 front.  Only a handful of dirt miles; see the pips in the pics!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX
Pages: [1]