• March 29, 2024, 03:28:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: steering damper for model S ?  (Read 669 times)

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
steering damper for model S ?
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:18:26 AM »

Hi all,

I am considering adding a steering damper to my 2014 model S, due to very bad roads here and some bad wobbles that I have (thankfully very rarely) experienced. Has anyone added some sort of universal steering damper to a model S that they like? If so, what kinds of modifications were necessary to install?
2014 Zero 11.4

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
Re: steering damper for model S ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »

nobody running steering damper on Zero motorcycles? Damn. I was hoping for other's experience. well, when I do this I will share..
2014 Zero 11.4

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »

I have never felt the need for one.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »

I have had tank wobbles at around 40MPH on my 2014 S (with no windshield, saddlebags, etc) and with no noticeable looseness in the bearings, but they went away at faster and slower speeds or if I maintained a firm grip at that speed.

15 years ago I was bumped by a car, which sent my Honda CB1 into a tank slapper, which caused me to crash with severe injuries and unable to use left side of my body for a long time. I have preferred having steering dampers ever since.
2014 Zero 11.4

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »

How loose is your steering column? Raise your front end and see if your fork/handlebar assembly fall fast from center to side. You might need to tighten your lower yoke nut (I don't remember exactly what it's called).
perspective, use it

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »

Thank you for suggestion.

So far, I have not found any play in the bearings, but I am still looking for source of the occasional wobble.

So far I modify my driving habits and make sure to keep hands on bars when I am at that speed even though it only a few times has wobbled a bit. I will probably replace bearings with All Balls bearings when I have extra time and dollars. I have added the windscreen and saddlebags back on, so that complicates additional troubleshooting.
2014 Zero 11.4

skoleskibe

• View Profile
steering damper for model S ?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »

Some things to bear in mind, os that the profile of the tires (worn?? New??) and tire pressure has has a major impact on wobbles, apart from the obvious faulty bearings, bad dampers and worn front fork yokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:16:18 PM by skoleskibe »
Pages: [1]