• April 26, 2024, 09:12:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question/Request/Quick Test for 2013 owners (opened up to include2014/15 owners)  (Read 1039 times)

WoadRaider

• View Profile

I'm asking anyone who has or has had a 2013 Zero, or anyone with a 2014/2015 (please note), to confirm whether or not they feel a notching/notchy sensation or bumpiness when manually pushing their bike at low speed (below 5mph). It would be helpful to note whether you feel the sensation only in one direction, or if turning the bike on/off makes any difference, and the intensity of the feeling as well. I have an S Model and I can feel the intermittent resistance a little better when sitting on the bike and pushing it backwards. Zero said this is normal for the 2013 model, so I just want to see if anyone else can confirm.

Supposedly it's because: "The magnets inside the motors are designed to spin when potential is applied which makes sense why it is harder to spin when no power is applied".

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:59:39 AM by WoadRaider »
perspective, use it

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Question/Request/Quick Test for 2013 owners
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »

I have resistance with the bike on and fairly smooth with it off, with it on the resistance is like a bit of a pulse
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »

Hey Ndm, thanks for responding.
Just so I'm sure I understand what you're saying: Your bike moves smoothly when you push it with the power off. But when you push it with the power on there is a pulsing resistance matching the description I gave? How noticeable is it? Do you have to exert noticeably more effort to move it?
perspective, use it

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »

No problem, I may not be the best reference now that I think about it, my motor was replaced in 2015 and 2016 batteries were done, I don't think I have a dramatic difference between on/off after trying it again this morning, just a slight pulse feeling when backing it up powered on
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »

No problem, I may not be the best reference now that I think about it, my motor was replaced in 2015
Humm, yeah it would be best to hear from someone with the original motor, but as long as it's the same type of motor it should work the same.

I don't think I have a dramatic difference between on/off after trying it again this morning, just a slight pulse feeling when backing it up powered on
Ha, that makes it less clear. So are you saying the pulsing is only felt when "backing the bike up with the power on"? or Is it about the same in both directions regardless of whether or not the bike is on? Do you have to exert noticeably more effort to move the bike at 1-3 mph compared to when pushing it at ~4-5 mph?
perspective, use it

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »

I suppose this question can also be answered by previous 2013 owners who upgraded to a newer model, if they happen to remember noticing a difference between pushing the 2013 at slow speeds and pushing their newer model at slow speeds.
perspective, use it

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:45:07 AM »

Bump

Anyone able to answer this question?
perspective, use it

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »

My MY13 SR with MY14 SR motor would feel the way you describe when pushing the bike when powered off. I never went too fast though as the pushing typically only happened in my garage.

I haven't ridden my MY13 for months since I traded it in for a MY17 though so I cannot test for you. On a side note if you have a MY13 battery get it upgraded asap.

That said ... if you are mechanically inclined I would check your motor axle for sloppiness ... that is remove belt tension then see if the axle can be moved side to side laterally in relation to the case of the motor and if so how much.

Normally if this is the case though a sound will accompany the "notching" and will be felt and heard at lower speeds.  (I had such an issue with the bearings of my old race modified MY13 motor)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

I have resistance with the bike on and fairly smooth with it off, with it on the resistance is like a bit of a pulse

Mine too.  Maybe a more resistance with the thing switched on and I'm reversing.
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

check your motor axle for sloppiness ... that is remove belt tension then see if the axle can be moved side to side laterally in relation to the case of the motor and if so how much.
Great idea, thanks Burton, come to think of it I seem to remember some minor play the last time I had the belt off and was manually moving the gear. I'll have to check again. I'm not sure there's ever been a sound associated with it when the bike is turned off.

Mine too.  Maybe a more resistance with the thing switched on and I'm reversing.
So you don't feel any real resistance when it's off (you wouldn't really notice it compared to another bike) but you do feel some when it's on?
perspective, use it

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »

Hi 13 DS owner here. 
First Zero says don't (or try not to) push the bike back with the bike on.  I think it messes with the motor timing but that may not be the right or only reason.
I back mine out of the garage and point it toward the road before I key it on, just a habit, and I haven't had any problems with the motor.
I never felt it was harder to push when off, I just never heard or felt the motor engage the WHRRRing sound like when it's on.

Some other things to look at.
Warped rotor or sticking brake pads from a dirty caliper piston.
Wheel bearings that are shot and cause a grinding feeling and will show lateral wheel movement on the rear axle.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »

Hi 13 DS owner here. 
First Zero says don't (or try not to) push the bike back with the bike on.  I think it messes with the motor timing but that may not be the right or only reason.
I back mine out of the garage and point it toward the road before I key it on, just a habit, and I haven't had any problems with the motor.
I never felt it was harder to push when off, I just never heard or felt the motor engage the WHRRRing sound like when it's on.

Some other things to look at.
Wheel bearings that are shot and cause a grinding feeling and will show lateral wheel movement on the rear axle.

I also never push my Zero around, forwards or backwards, with the ignition on or the bike charging.  It just doesn't feel right.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »

Zero says don't (or try not to) push the bike back with the bike on.  I think it messes with the motor timing but that may not be the right or only reason.
Good to know, I wonder if I've heard that before. Although this is somewhat unavoidable as there are times where it would be annoying to have to turn the bike on and off in order to back up a bit (say if you just stopped a few feet too far forward).
Me too, I always have myself set up and ready to go (forward) before I key on.
OK good, it looks like we have our first solid/clear answer. So you've never felt anything beyond the slightest detectable intermittent resistance when pushing the bike (either on or off)? Did you need to check to be sure?
I've already determined that the issue stems from the motor or further up in the electrical/electronic systems.

I also never push my Zero around, forwards or backwards, with the ignition on or the bike charging.  It just doesn't feel right.  ???
Well, if the bike is already on (I have already been going foward with power) it feels more awkward to turn the bike off in order to back it up a bit, particularly if I'm not about to turn if off anyway, rarely happens though.
perspective, use it

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:19:07 AM »

This thread is somewhat relevant:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6253.msg47911#msg47911

I used to be somewhat nervous about reversing with the key on, but no longer.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »

I finally remembered to test this.  with ignition off, a mild pulsing, both forward and backward (same as mentioned above).  And with key turned on, the pulsing plus a vaguely metallic whir, both forward and back (again, as mentioned above).  I have zero worry doing this (no pun intended). 
Pages: [1] 2