• April 25, 2024, 08:55:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 56552 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

Hello,

With 40 km x 2 daily, and partially highway, I need a fast and mid-range engine. Currently I am looking to a Zero S, but also to the ZEV LRC10, but don't find enough feedback about this last one ...  http://zelectricvehicle.com/22.html

Alain
Belgium / Europe

I have heard of ZEV from people who work for the company, but never from anyone who actually has one of their maxi-scooters.  Zero usually has a promotion at the end of the year to discount last year's motorcycles and Brammo is having a fire sale right now if you don't mind 6 gears on an electric motor.  Also in Europe the BMW C-evolution is a good option.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Cruizer

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »

Hello,

I prefer a scooter because it is what I know / use :-)   (brakes at hand)  but I can also adapt my self to use a motorcycle. I did not investigate the BMW C due to its price.

At MSRP  $13,990, the 10 KW ZEV LRC 10 can achieve 225 km/140 miles at 55 mph and  129 km/80 miles at 70 mph; the top speed is "only" 130 kph / 80 mph; I also like the storage space under seat (bigger than in my current already-maxi-scooter !); looking to Zero or other means to add extra storage so extra bucks ...

I got also the discount info from Zero, allowing to have the 2014  11.4 at the 8.5 price (still about $3000 more than the ZEV); I didn't look at Brammo as it was even more priced...

The only fear about the ZEV is the support: compared to the Zero marketing/web site/dealer network, it looks ... well ... like a "one person company" ? I can be wrong but ...

EDIT: indeed, Brammo is doing nice prices for 2014 models:

Model                   Normal Retail Price    Promo Retail Price!

2014 Empulse       $16,995.00               $11,995.00
2014 Empulse R    $18,995.00               $13,995.00

So, the Empulse is about the same price than the ZEV !!!

Indeed, strange this gearbox on an electrical vehicle !
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:01:10 PM by Cruizer »

Mirainere

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »

Hallo, I write from Switzerland and I own a Zero DS from november 2012 (I never drove any other moto before as having an electric one is my dream since I was a child, I could never drive polluting...).
I waited a lot of years before finding a good compromise of quality, autonomy and weight and I think the Zero DS from 2012 is the best choice for me (newer ones are too much heavy and with this tallness it's difficult for a girl to maneuver the moto if you sit on it), even if I would need a little bit more autonomy.

Thanks for creating this forum!

Mirai
In Wilderness is the Real Essence of the Earth

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:17 AM »

Speaking of Zero prices, I was at my Zero dealer today and noticed two very clean 2011 used Zeros on the showroom floor(one red and one black).  I still like the looks (if not the performance) of that model.  The dealer was asking $6000 USD for the bikes.  I would think they could be quite useful for someone living in San Francisco.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelP

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2014, 05:59:27 PM »

Hi. Have just bought a Zero S in Richmond Vic.
How many of the are there in Australia at the moment.
Love it  :)

M@2015DS

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »

Hi everyone! Been looking at electric motorcycles for about 4 years and finally felt the technology was mature enough to take the plunge. Will be picking up my new Orange 2015 Zero DS ZF9.4 either this Saturday or next depending on when it arrives at the dealer. Whoohooo!

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »

You are right to consider support.  I bought a Zero 2012 ZF9 in May in mint condition.  I have put only 2000 miles on the clock and the battery failed.  Zero want something approaching 6,000 dollars to fix it.  Love electric, but please be realistic about the possible downside with any company with immature support.

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm a 33 years old biker, currently driving a BMW F800st everyday, and I'm interested in an electric bike since I noticed that I only use it for commuting in the few last years (sorry for my English, I'm French, but I hope you will understand me).
So, I'm looking at a Zero S, and I have a few questions, especially I would like to know if it can sleep outside, under a cover (canvas sheet?) cause I don't have a garage, just a small closed yard.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:58 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm a 33 years old biker, currently driving a BMW F800st everyday, and I'm interested in an electric bike since I noticed that I only use it for commuting in the few last years (sorry for my English, I'm French, but I hope you will understand me).
So, I'm looking at a Zero S, and I have a few questions, especially I would like to know if it can sleep outside, under a cover (canvas sheet?) cause I don't have a garage, just a small closed yard.

Welcome Zorgalouf.  (Your English is fine.)  A Zero should be OK stored outside, as long as the weather doesn't get much below 0 degrees C, you can keep it plugged in and your storage area is well vented to prevent condensation buildup under the cover.  Considering the cost of your purchase, you might want to consider investing in one of those semi-permanent motorcycle enclosures that are on the market.  Many have a solid floor and a folding heavy fabric tent material supported by a metal frame that opens and closes like a clam shell, which can be locked to the base.  Some also have a small electric fan to vent the enclosure or use drying chemicals to keep any condensation at bay.  Expect to pay between 300 and 500 Euros for a good one that will last for years and stand up to the elements.

Alternately, you could make a stand-alone motorcycle garage from a large plastic tool shed, as sold by most large hardware stores.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »

Richard230 : Thank you for your answer. We do have a few days under 0°C here, but it is not that often.
My motorcycle is currently outside, but i will (one day or another) build a shell for it, i'm thinking just a roof and 2 walls (because this is the only thing i can do in my little yard), so it seems to be ok for the Zero too.

ATS

• Zero/brammo shop in Paris
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »

Hi everyone, we are ATS motorcycles, from France.
Our shop is specialized in Harley Davidson and Triumph. But since more than 3 years, we start selling EM. Zero Motorcycles and Brammo (more recently).
We have now a great vision on French market for this type of product. We are not here to sell you product, but just for talking if you have any questions.

See you soon !

Camresearch

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »

Hi everybody,

I have made a couple of posts here so I thought I should say hi.  I love the forum, I have already had significant help, which was nice since I am so new on the scene.

I live in Australia (Down Under) where the zero is an expensive machine.  I personally have always ridden bikes more like the Yamaha RZ 500, I have owned two of those.  One new one back in 85 and a second hand one much later. For those of you too young to know what I am talking about, they were a 500 cc V4 liquid cooled two stroke, based on GP bikes.  The RZ 500s were faster than the 900 cc and 1000 cc 4 strokes of their day, defeating the GPZ900R and VF1000 Hondas at the Hub 300 and Castrol 6 hour races.  Therefore I can't be accused of having being environmentally friendly as such, though I am making an effort to do better. 

My brother invested in a Zero DS back in 2010, paying a huge sum for it new.  No tax rebates, instead additional taxes and duties made it an expensive bike indeed.  Twice what you would pay in California for one.  My brother blogged about his DS before he even got it and he loved it dearly.  It has since died.  The DS IMHO wasn't really well designed for Australia "dirt" riding.  Too much dirt involved, hence as it turned out the motor didn't like dirt, funny that. 

Therefore I am now taking possession of another "brother hand me down".  My brother is very kindly giving me the bike to have, if I can fix it and let him ride it again.  He has other bikes and a car and isn't really that motivated or equipped to get it going again.  It died a couple of years ago now and he didn't want to pay what they were asking for another motor!! They are expensive in Oz.  His misfortune is my good fortune.  With solar panels, surplus power, an interest and skill in electronics and all things mechanical, this seems like an ideal project for me. 

Converting a DS into something more like an RZ EV would be the fantasy I suppose.  The reality is that I will be glad if I can get it running again, then later I will see what I can do with it.  Then I can have my evil genius moments after that.  :D

Cam 
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D

roma258

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:45 PM »

Hey folks, I'm recent owner of a 2014 Brammo Empulse R press bike. I made the purchase before all the recent hubub with Polaris, but even then the writing was on the wall, so I knew full well what I was getting into.

I've been following electric bikes ever since they came on the scene. Generally speaking, I'm not much of an early adopter, but something has always resonated about the idea. I remember being blown away by the initial sketches of the Empulse and eagerly waiting for the reviews to start pouring in. It took a while, but once they finally hit the market, I was in love. Wes Siler's review for the long lamented Hell for Leather website really sealed it for me. Unfortunately at $19k it's been completely out of my price range. When the Brammo fall promo came around, I called up our local dealer (Eurosports) and they had a 13 Empulse R demo in stock. I took a test ride, loved it....but still just couldn't pull the trigger. Finally seeing the press bikes come up, that was it, I could almost justify it to my wife :) Anyway, I'm seriously excited, this winter has been agonizing, but I can't wait to start zipping around all over the place and freaking people out with tie fighter stealthiness.

j.coal

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »

Greetings from Wisconsin
I have a 2011 DS with 6500 miles.  I started modding my bike in 2013 and have made some mistakes and assumptions along the way.  I'm joining to share information and knowledge that I have gained and to interact with an audience that has the same passion for riding and modifying a unique motorcycle that takes two wheels to a level most will never experience or understand.
joe

Camresearch

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2015, 03:36:17 AM »

Hey Coal,

My wife is from Wisconsin, though we live in Australia (I am from Oz).  Her family is still there, her mom lives in Brookfield.  My wife and I were married in Waukesha.  It was a little difficult at first, I had to learn to speak American, but I am right now and can say words like tire instead of tyre.... ;)

I would think you would be pretty cold on your DS right now.  I didn't know you could get ice spike tires to suit a DS ;)

I have a 2010 DS but it is still dead as of now :(

Cheers,
Cam
Bikes owned, from present to past: NS 150 Honda, DS 2010 Zero, RZ 500 N Yamaha #2, CB 250 Honda, Ducati 69 single, GT 750 Kawasaki, RZ 500 N the 1st,  RD LC 250/350 Yamaha + other bits, Kawasaki 200 dirt, DT 250 Yamaha.  Also spent time with Ducati 600 and Moto Morini 250 V twins and others :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33