• March 29, 2024, 02:59:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 56244 times)

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2014, 02:36:06 AM »

For the best information on Vectrix you should head over to visforvoltage.org, there are many topics there on battery care and other tips and tricks.
Running the bike down to low voltages will only destroy the NiMH cells further unless you know exactly what you are doing.
You need to replace the charger firmware if you want to continue to use the NiMH cells or convert to Li if you fancy a project.

Please note that Vectrix is in chapter 11, so getting rid of that bike is probably your best option as parts are already hard to come by...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »

Hello from Southern California!  I'm here to learn as much as I can about the pros and cons of going electric.  I currently ride a Honda VFR800 and love it but like many here, I'm curious to see (and ride) an electric.  That H-D LiveWire really piqued my interest.  Anxiously waiting to learn how it performs and the price point.  If it's on par with the Zero (and not outrageously expensive), I plan to make room in my garage for one! 

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Howdy Cannibal.

Definitely ride the LiveWire if you get a chance. Very cool to see a concept bike from one of the traditional manufacturers that goes beyond smoke & mirrors. Since Harley is scheduling the LiveWire tour through 2015, I wouldn't expect to see a production model available before 2016.

If you're near Hollywood, also check out Hollywood Electrics. They should have a number of bikes to ride and purchase today; the Zero SR in particular should be in the same performance category as the H-D, but lighter and perhaps a little more range.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:31 AM »

Thanks for the info protomech.  The Zero SR looks like a great option.  I had the same thought re when the LiveWire would become available and, fortunately, I'm a patient man.  Hopefully, I can also be a disciplined man and start socking away my pennies for when the H-D is available.  I have no idea how much it's going to run but imagine it starting in the low $20K range.

I'm down in San Diego but make it up to Hollywood every once in a while.  I'll check out Hollywood Electrics next time I'm there.  I imagine things will be busy at Zero Motorcycles over the next year in anticipation of the LiveWire's release and the need and desire to be competitive.  I like the changes they made from the Zero S to the SR.  Looking forward to seeing what they do in response to the LiveWire. 

I admit to never being a big Harley fan.  Always said I had no interest in owning one.  The LiveWire has definitely changed my mind (assuming it performs wells).  I also blew off electrics as an interesting but fledgling niche that would never really gain widespread acceptance.  Having a mfg with worldwide recognition like H-D step into the arena and design a bike like the LiveWire really feels like a game changer.  Are we on the cusp of a new era of motorcycling?  Who really knows?  But I'm really excited about it all and am ready to join those of you who found enlightenment early on.  For now, I'll watch and learn and hold on to my Honda!   

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »

I also blew off electrics as an interesting but fledgling niche that would never really gain widespread acceptance.  Having a mfg with worldwide recognition like H-D step into the arena and design a bike like the LiveWire really feels like a game changer.  Are we on the cusp of a new era of motorcycling?

See there? This is exactly what needed to happen! "Zero and Brammo? Never heard of 'em. Wait, Harley's doing what? Oh, well then this must actually be a thing! Who'd you say earlier? Bampow and what? I'll have to look at them!" Harley Davidson stepping into the game lends credence to the entire industry, and the current players have much to benefit from big name competition!

For now, I'll watch and learn and hold on to my Honda!

No shame in that, Cannibal! I held on to my Honda, AND my Kawasaki, though they're not getting much use unless my Zero won't reach (which is pretty much never for my daily routine). Check out the current machines if you get a chance. They're worth a test ride even if you're not ready to buy!
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »

Hey Jeff, you're absolutely right.  I had heard of Zero motorcycles (couldn't even tell you the impression I had) but didn't give them a second thought.  Had never heard of Brammo but after the LiveWire announcement, started looking into electrics - What's out there now?  How capable are they?  How much do they cost?  How far can they go on a charge? - And found myself thinking, "These bikes are pretty badass."  Regardless of whether I end up owning the LiveWire, electric motorcycles are now at the forefront of my consciousness and a very real possibility for me.  Like I wrote before, exciting.

I was just in Austin last week for a conference.  First time there.  I ate way too much and drank even more.  Cool city.  Had a chance to check out some live music and the barbecue was amazing.  Wanted to see the bats that everyone was talking about but the timing didn't work out. 

Thanks for your post.   

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »

I ate way too much and drank even more.

You're doing it right!   ;)

Ya' know, I've lived here almost 8 years and I've never seen the bats fly from the Congress bridge. I've tried a few times, but I either missed them or they didn't fly that night for whatever reason. One of these days. I did catch a mass bat flight a few weeks ago just north of Uvalde, TX when I was down there with the Magna Owners of Texas for a meet and greet weekend. I even got some video. Frio Bat Flight
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

Opa

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2014 Zero FX 5.7 just for commuting. I replaced an Aprilia RSV-R, which was a great bike, but way fast and getting more and more uncomfortable each day. (not the bike's fault, just getting older).

The FX has a range of 70/city max, but I ride section line roads. I get just short of 50 miles. I have access to an outdoor outlet at work and until they tell me not to, I shall plug in every day so I can "play" on the way home.

The torque  (70 ft/lbs.) is fabulous and the speed (85 max.) is all I'll ever need. I love the idea of never buying premium fuel and wondering what sort of mechanical poisons are in there. Electricity is just electrons. No government-mandated B.S. or "pollution-reduction" additives that don't do anything but feed someone's personal agenda.

No cooling system, transmission, transmission fluid, engine, engine oil, clutch, clutch actuating system, valve adjustments, exhaust-ANYTHING. What is not to like?

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »

Great video Jeff!  Was hoping it would pan out and there you'd be, black cape blowing in the wind, utility belt at the ready, eyes burning intensely from behind your mask ... then you throw your leg over the Bat-Pod (electric version, of course) and speed away. 

Hi Opa.  That's quite a move from the Aprilia to the Zero!  Not that I know a whole lot about the Zero (yet) but the Aprilia is an amazing bike.  Glad to read that you're happy with the transition.  I can relate to having comfort become more important with age!  Over the years I've gone from a Ninja 600 (very aggressive riding position) to the Ninja 650 (more of an upright) to a Triumph Bonneville (cool bike and super comfortable but I missed the performance of the sport bikes) to my current bike, a VFR800 (great mixture of sport and comfort).  Every bike has had great aspects to it and I've enjoyed riding them all.  I can't see myself giving up the VFR but who knows?  I need a Jay Leno garage (and budget)! 

I thought I read that some electrics have oil or some sort of coolant for the battery packs.  Is that right?  And, if so, is there maintenance associated with the coolant?  It seems unlikely that air would be enough.  Congrats on the FX.  It's a great looking bike and looks like a lot of fun. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:38 AM »

Great video Jeff!  Was hoping it would pan out and there you'd be, black cape blowing in the wind, utility belt at the ready, eyes burning intensely from behind your mask ... then you throw your leg over the Bat-Pod (electric version, of course) and speed away. 

Hi Opa.  That's quite a move from the Aprilia to the Zero!  Not that I know a whole lot about the Zero (yet) but the Aprilia is an amazing bike.  Glad to read that you're happy with the transition.  I can relate to having comfort become more important with age!  Over the years I've gone from a Ninja 600 (very aggressive riding position) to the Ninja 650 (more of an upright) to a Triumph Bonneville (cool bike and super comfortable but I missed the performance of the sport bikes) to my current bike, a VFR800 (great mixture of sport and comfort).  Every bike has had great aspects to it and I've enjoyed riding them all.  I can't see myself giving up the VFR but who knows?  I need a Jay Leno garage (and budget)! 

I thought I read that some electrics have oil or some sort of coolant for the battery packs.  Is that right?  And, if so, is there maintenance associated with the coolant?  It seems unlikely that air would be enough.  Congrats on the FX.  It's a great looking bike and looks like a lot of fun.

The Brammo Empulse uses a oil-bath transmission and clutch, along with a liquid-cooled motor.  Both items require periodic servicing.  I believe that the transmission/clutch oil needs to be changed every 6 months and the motor coolant changed every 3 years.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »

The Brammo Empulse uses a oil-bath transmission and clutch, along with a liquid-cooled motor.  Both items require periodic servicing.  I believe that the transmission/clutch oil needs to be changed every 6 months and the motor coolant changed every 3 years.

Thanks Richard!  Appreciate the info.  I've always enjoyed doing work on my bikes.  Little things mostly - oil changes, slight modifications here and there - even just cleaning them.  I know many riders feel the same way.  It's that connection between man and machine that people talk about and that my wife thinks is cute but doesn't get. Glad to hear there's still some of that with the electric bikes.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be riding than wrenching!  But I don't like the idea (as crazy as it sounds) of a maintenance free motorcycle.   

B.the.Biker

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »

Hi everyone.

I'm a bike rider from sunny South Africa. I have been looking into electric for some time now, but there isn't very much available here. I rode the Zero S, DS and FX on Saturday and am very impressed.

So I'm here to find out as much about electric as I can so that I ca hopefully end up going that way.

Thanks for having me.

Have an awesome day.
B-)

Cannibal Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

Welcome B!  I'm new around here and trying to learn more about the electric bikes as well.  Which of the Zero's did you enjoy the most?  What are you riding now? 

Anyway, enjoy the forum, and safe riding!

Cruizer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

Hello,

I am new here. I currently drive everyday a Sym JoyMax/GTS Scooter (about 15.000 km / year) and I am looking to an electric motorcycle since a few months now ...

With 40 km x 2 daily, and partially highway, I need a fast and mid-range engine. Currently I am looking to a Zero S, but also to the ZEV LRC10, but don't find enough feedback about this last one ...  http://zelectricvehicle.com/22.html

I wouldn't end up like the Vectrix story with a device without support even if specs are very attractive !

I hope to collect info about this ZEV here ...

Have a nice day !

Alain
Belgium / Europe

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »

Hello,

I am new here. I currently drive everyday a Sym JoyMax/GTS Scooter (about 15.000 km / year) and I am looking to an electric motorcycle since a few months now ...

With 40 km x 2 daily, and partially highway, I need a fast and mid-range engine. Currently I am looking to a Zero S, but also to the ZEV LRC10, but don't find enough feedback about this last one ...  http://zelectricvehicle.com/22.html

I wouldn't end up like the Vectrix story with a device without support even if specs are very attractive !

I hope to collect info about this ZEV here ...

Have a nice day !

Alain
Belgium / Europe

Hi Alain,
You could test ride the BMW C EVOLUTION or are you intentionally looking. For a motorcycle in stead of a scooter?

You should also check out Brammo because until the end of this month you will get a HUGE discount!

Good luck
Once you go EV, gas is history!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33