• March 28, 2024, 07:29:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Saddle bags on FXS  (Read 2192 times)

gt13013

• View Profile
Saddle bags on FXS
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »

I have a very occasional use of saddle bags and I wanted a cheap and simple solution to add some carrying volume.
You can search on internet for "SA-212 Komine Saddle Bag", and you will find this pair of bags for less than 40€.
If they are not sold with the bags, you should add a pair of plastic sheets that can be put at the bottom of the bags and make them more rigid (but I did not put them in place in the pictures thereafter).
A zip can extend each bag to a volume of 29 liters.
To mount the bags for the first time, since the documentation is in Chinese only, I used some youtube videos in order to understand how the straps should be positioned.
Once understood, it should take less than 10 minutes to put in place, and about 2 minutes to dismount.
You will not be able to have a passenger with these bags in place.
To save passenger seat, it would perhaps be possible to make a mount similar to that depicted in http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7188
Here are 4 pictures, and you will find more pictures with better definition here.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:59:47 AM by gt13013 »
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

gt13013

• View Profile
Re: Saddle bags on FXS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »

Two more pictures which show the small and extended sizes of the bags (there is an integral helmet inside, in the second case)

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:00:45 AM »

While these are a little pricier their durability is awesome.  They are after all, meant for dual sport/adventure riding so they are built to be beat on.  I'm a huge fan of Wolfman gear, I've had my E12s for about 8 years now and they still look and function great after a lot of use/abuse.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolfman-e-12-saddlebags

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:02:40 AM »

New position for the saddle bags: I moved them backward, in such a way that I can now carry a passenger.
The white foam is for testing, since I plan to make a removable and more comfortable passenger seat.
Here is a picture. More on https://photos.app.goo.gl/orU6oiqSThPkbqAg8

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Finally, I have built a structure between the bike and the bags using Alupanel (similar to Dibond). Black alupanel is glossy on one side and matt on the other side. Matt side is perfect.
These panels are bolted by 3 points on the bike, with rubber spacers: passenger footrest, rear rack tube, and one point on the side on the Zero (I made a 4mm hole through the plastic).
There is a 4th bolt that is only used to attach the passenger seat.  The passenger seat is this one: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07DPNNPPG/ . I made it fully removable. It is attached from each 4 corners to the bike using bungee cord.
The apertures in the panels are used to attach the bags. I did not take care and made the second panel identical to the first one. But these Chinese left and right bags are not symmetrical  :o, that is why I had to make some more apertures!
More pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nPzAKiJw3v3JDW7c8

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »

Not bad! It’s worth summarizing for the unofficial manual as a fabrication strategy.

I assume these are just meant to hold soft bags steady.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:50:53 AM »

I assume these are just meant to hold soft bags steady.
Exactly !

One more comment: at the beginning, I considered that I had an occasional use of these bags. But after some months of use, I find them quite useful and I leave them on the bike permanently. If I had to do it again, I would install waterproof bags.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:56:06 AM by gt13013 »

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »

I had a set of these on my bike as an interim solution until I find (or build) hard bags to my liking. The flexibility of the expandable design has been quite valuable. Unfortunately, the fabric only lasted 8 months of sitting in the sunlight every day while I'm at work. It started with seam failures at the zippers and then the load bearing seams between the bags and the over-seat flaps. I'm now waiting for my 2nd set of intermediate soft bags to arrive.  This time I went with a waterproof, drybag style which I hope will be more durable (and dry).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Waterproof-Rear-Tail-Seat-Back-Saddle-Moto-Bike-Side-Storage-Pouch/183352750638?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690665456309&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 04:40:28 PM »

These soft bags are in place since summer 2018 and I never disassemble them. We are in January 2022 and they are still in good condition. The bike sleeps in a garage and I take care of the bags (in particular, using the zippers gently).
Pages: [1]