• April 25, 2024, 11:46:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Eco Mode on DSR Practically Useless  (Read 1101 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Eco Mode on DSR Practically Useless
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:28:26 AM »

I have a 2017 DSR and the Eco mode is so under powered it is essentially useless.  This is especially noticeable when accelerating from a standing stop.  The acceleration is so restricted, the bike can barely get out of its own way.

When I had my FXS, the Eco mode was much better.  It still had enough power that I was comfortable using it, but not on my DSR.

So I'm wondering if this is something unique to the R models.  Any other riders out there experiencing the same thing?

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Eco Mode on DSR Practically Useless
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 02:58:44 AM »

The Eco mode of my 2018-S (as well as my earlier 2014-S) is kind of slow, but it is still useful and I can keep up with most cars from a stop using eco mode. However, I do find its limit of 70 mph kind of irritating on the freeway, when it would reach that speed and kind of "hunt" around it.  It seems to me that the top speed of my bike should be limited by my right wrist.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:17:10 AM »

I use ECO mode when approaching an off-freeway area, in wet weather, lane-splitting, on certain twisty road grades, and on packed dirt / gravel roads. I find ECO mode to be very useful and sensible in most urban or rural situations.

The limitation of not being able to switch modes when I am in motion above 59mph is a real annoyance. I do very much wish that restriction were closer to 65mph or 70mph. In California USA traffic which is very swift that can be dangerous to slow to 59mph for change of modes;  if I have selected ECO mode for town and forget to change to CUSTOM on freeway where I have 87mph limit and zero off-throttle regen, there is a problem when I am traveling 70mph in ECO mode and all traffic is accelerating faster, I'm stuck with a limit of 70mph and it removes the utility of acceleration I would have to change lanes and position myself in traffic. I must decelerate to 59mph for a mode change which can be dangerous even (or especially so) in the "slow lane" where most tractor trucks are maintaining 60-65mph.

I wish that SPORT mode would be configurable by the user via Zero Motorcycles phone app, and that modes could be changed when traveling the top speed of ECO mode (70mph) so that you could always get out of ECO mode.

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »

Shadow, I’m in Australia and our highway speed limits are 60mph so its funny that modes for an American bike is better suited for here.

I agree with your idea of having self configurable sports modes but why not eco modes too. That way you won’t have a mode accidentally on which will restrict your speed there on highways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »

I had very good regen on my 2012 XU, When I got my 2013 FX,  I felt that the regen was not as aggressive as my 2012 XU. When I got my 2016 SR, It felt like max regen was about the same as in Sport mode on the FX.
I was told that it was because of the Weight. 2012 XU was 221 lbs. 2013 FX  233 lbs. with one brick, 275 with both. 2016 SR  414 lbs. I know that weight makes a difference, but, it feels like more than that. The differencce
between my FX and SR is similar to a passenger on the FX. If I add a passenger to one of my ICE bikes, I know that it will not stop as quickly but, I don't necessarily notice the difference unless in a hard braking situation.
If the weight difference was in fact the only issue, I would notice an even greater difference if I have a passenger on my SR. Using regen only, I do not really notice a difference between solo and passenger on SR.
As far as Power in ECO on FXS vs SR I am guessing that the same weight argument would be presented. My 2013 has only ECO and Sport, so "Custom" and sport. I have my torque turned to 0 on the FX and it still feels like
it has more pep than my SR does in ECO. It would appear that some of the responders on here are using ECO as intended in lower power situations. If you want your Sport mode adjustable, that is what Custom mode would be.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:58:11 PM »

<soapbox>
This is why I am so irritated over the statement that eco mode is poor mans cruise control.
If you cannot roll on the throttle to get out of a cluster of other vehicles, you are not cruising, you are a danger.
</soapbox>

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »

+1  That's why I referred to it as useless; at least on my DSR anyway.  The power is so reduced I would not feel safe using Eco mode with any kind of traffic around.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Eco Mode on DSR Practically Useless
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »

+1  That's why I referred to it as useless; at least on my DSR anyway.  The power is so reduced I would not feel safe using Eco mode with any kind of traffic around.
Hmmm, im often ridning my 8hp 400cc dieselbike. That does not even remotely have the power of my SR12.5 in eco mode. I dont feel unsafe ridning it though, as the soothy clouds pouring out of it’s exhaust ensures that people holds a liberal distance to me. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:33:37 AM by Shadow »
Pages: [1]