• April 25, 2024, 07:11:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is the battery in the Zero FX modular easy to remove and charge at work?  (Read 4858 times)

pmc

• View Profile

Unfortunately Zero doesn't have a lot of info on their website other than some coarse-grained specs, at least that I could find.

I live and work in a city and only have street parking as an option.   Any E-bike I get would have to have a portable battery.

If I may, I have some questions about the removable batt in the Zero FX/s:

• Does it lock with a key?
  • Can it be removed without tools?
  • Is it suitable for popping out and bringing inside to work or home to charge it?

My commute is only about 10 miles round trip if I don't run any other errands, so I could probably go a few days without charging.

What I could gather on this battery is its 42lbs and is block-shaped and doesn't have a handle.   Maybe a carrying handle could be bolted on it it?   

Thanks.

domingo3

• View Profile

It locks with a key and can be removed without tools.  Suitability to bring in to charge is subjective.  I thought about it briefly, but couldn't imagine lugging the brick back and forth on a regular basis without growing irritated.  Keep in mind, you'd have to buy an external charger and cord.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:02:57 AM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Erasmo

• View Profile

Can you park near an outlet or window? A 10 meter charging cord might prevent a whole lot of lugging around.

pmc

• View Profile

It locks with a key and can be removed without tools.  Suitability to bring in to charge is subjective.  I thought about it briefly, but couldn't imagine lugging the brick back and forth on a regular basis without growing irritated.  Keep in mind, you'd have to buy an external charger and cord.

Thank you for your reply.   This is what I'm afraid of.   Though, my current motorcycle requires gas every 100 miles (ducati, gas hog  ::) ), if I could get 50 miles out of the brick, bringing it inside 2x as often as I would go to get gas (a hassle in this city) doesn't seem so bad.

Do you recon a handle of some sort could be bolted / epoxied to the brick to make it easier to carry?

MrDude_1

• View Profile

you cannot bolt or epoxy anything to it.
you could use a carrier, or even a bag.

However, this is like taking a cinderblock, filled with concrete, and carrying it with you inside everytime you park.  doable, but not practical.. it would get old quick.
I can only tell you what I tell others. If you street park or live in an apartment complex, you need to find a place to park BEFORE you buy a motorcycle... or it will get stolen/messed with...  and with proper parking, you will have an outlet nearby.

pmc

• View Profile

maybe get a rear trunk and keep something like this in it
  8)

Curt

• View Profile

Your commute is ideal for the FX. I don't see why you'd want to charge at work. With my short commute I never felt any need to do that. My commute was actually my favorite part of my day. :)

If I didn't have the luxury of safe underground parking, I'd cover it to prevent the sun from destroying the upholstery, and to protect it from unwanted attention. If it were a big city, I'd also attach it to something with a huge chain-link lock. Otherwise, the chances of it going unmolested are also Zero.

Keith

• View Profile

I've carried FX packs a lot, so I'll chime in. I ride off road, have four packs, so I swap both midday to get more range. That means I carry two packs from house to van, then remove two packs from the bike and swap with full ones, then carry two packs back into the house, all in a days riding. I've also carried packs into motel rooms, cabins, etc. to charge over night. It is not all that bad. Comparable to refueling from 5 gallon gas cans.

But they are pretty heavy, getting them out of the bike takes a good knee whack, it isn't easy to open and close doors while carrying one, and you really don't want to drop one!

So, the advice to find an outlet is certainly a better solution if possible. I do use two DeltaQ's for off bike charging as well.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Maribo

• View Profile

I am curious as to why you are worrying about this.. Why not just charge it at home?

pmc

• View Profile

I am curious as to why you are worrying about this.. Why not just charge it at home?

I live in a walk-up apartment with no garage and no windows near the street.   It would be easier to lug the battery into my office than into my apartment.

Maribo

• View Profile

Oh, I see.  I take one of my modules out from time to time.  It's not a big deal at all.  Consider it good and useful exercise, rather than going to the gym.

Curt

• View Profile

KrazyEd

• View Profile

I have a 2013 FX. I swap batteries and ride with one from time to time as something to do when I am bored.
When I got my SR, I was going to get rid of it but it is SO much fun that I kept it for playing around.
My suggestion would be to find charge stations near you. If you find one near someplace that works for a meal
break, you can add 5%~10% charge during your break. Invest in a J1772 adapter cable and you can plug in at
pretty much any Public Charging station. I have used mine on my FX and SR and have not yet found one that
doesn't work. Given your local time compared to mine, I am going to guess that you are not in the United States.
Not sure about charging station availability where you are. Many of the older ChargePoint stations here include
a level one charger option so no adapter would be needed. Again, I am not sure of what is available to you as
far as public charge station access. Most likely, this would be your least expensive option. My 2013 has a charger
that is only half as fast as my SR. This is a plus and a minus. On the Plus side, it will charge on pretty much
any circuit that I can find. The minus is that it takes much longer. Looking at the specs for 2018, this seems to
still be  the case. Buying the Modular with one battery would save you about $2000 ( usd ) over the 7.2 brick.
This would allow you to purchase an aftermarket QuiQ charger and still save some money.
However, if you decided to get the second brick, you would be paying close to $3000 ( usd ).
Unless your riding includes off road, the FXs or 7.2 S might be a more useful option. The 7.2 S gives you the
faster onboard charger and the New battery technology, all for the price of the 7.2 FX or FXs
Pages: [1]