• April 25, 2024, 03:59:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your opinions please: My next bike  (Read 639 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Your opinions please: My next bike
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:47 AM »

I've had my 2014DSP for well over two years now. It's still under warranty until Jan 2019, due to the amount of time, cost, effort and inconvenience I had to suffer when the bearings in the rear wheel failed.

Despite a few issues I've had with the bike, for the most part it has been fun and very cheap to run.  Hmmm, that would be a good tagline for Zero's Marketing department to use...

To put it another way, I've saved around £8,000 on train fares since I bought it, so it doesn't owe me anything. I paid £6,500 for it and aside for a couple of sets of tyres and some brake pads, it has cost me very little to run for 20,000 miles.

Long time members here will recall how enthusiastic I was to own a Zero. It took me almost three years to achieve, and I haven't looked back since.  I've thoroughly enjoyed commuting into London on my Zero. It has been perfect for the job.  I've told countless fellow commuters that very same message whenever the opportunity arises.  I've also enjoyed riding it for fun.  Despite the regular commute, I'm still eager to take my bike for a spin around the Chilterns whenever the opportunity arises.  It may have cheap Chinese suspension, but the low centre of gravity makes handling a dream.  It's fair to say that I've grown very attached to my Zero.

Can you sense a "but" coming? There is one and it's also why I wanted to reach out to all the regulars, newbies and everyone inbetween for your opinions. I appreciate that within the context of an electric motorcycle forum those opinions may be a little biased. However, I want that bias because it was by becoming a member of this community that I was able to make my dream a reality.

My problem is that I just can't make my mind up.  Do I keep my DS? It's certainly the sensible thing to do.  Even if it suffers an expensive failure outside of the warranty period, it will be cheaper to fix than buying a brand new bike.

On the other hand, a 2018SR with a charge tank is a compelling prospect. I love bikes with lots of acceleration and I would love to go further afield on an electric bike. It's just the cost of that option that makes me wince.

Another option I'm considering is getting a new or used 2017 Yamaha MT10. The 2018 models are out now so I can get a deal on one.  I managed to test ride one last Saturday and have to say it was magnificent.  With this option, I'd keep my Zero for my commute. Well, ideally. My wife really isn't keen for me to buy a bike in any shape or form. I might be able to convince her if I trade in my Zero with Streetbike, who have already offered me a very generous figure for it.  They're confident they can give it a wash, sell it quickly and make a profit on it.  The only problem is I'd be left with one bike that runs on petrol for my commute.  I'm not terribly keen on abandoning electric motorcycling either. I do want a bike that's more versatile though.

A final option that I can think of is to pick up a cheap used bike for the longer trips. I really enjoyed riding a Fazer 1000 for a year; commuting and everything. Maybe I should just another one of those?

Should I just do nothing and carry on as I've been with my Zero? That's definitely the option that my wife likes. The trouble is that I do miss being able to do a decent day trip once in a while.  The only Zero that comes close to doing that is a new one with the charge tank.  I've decided to rule out an Energica Eva due to their cost, complexity, lack of dealerships and extremely poor range. I'm not convinced the handling will be good on such a heavy bike either. I owned a VFR 1200 for a short time and it couldn't hide its sheer weight in corners.  A BMW GS would be better in that respect.

Any thoughts please? I'm in a quandary!

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Your opinions please: My next bike
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:57:58 AM »

Well it appears I have a twin! I have been thinking that same question over for a while, I decided to keep my 2013 w/2016 battery and buy a cheap but reliable second bike, I opted for a GS 500, mainly because they are cheap to run/insure, I paid less than the rebate zero is offering on the 2017s, my kids are now old enough that I can take a day trip and not have a nasty wife when I get home!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »

If you're going by straight money/costs and like your current bike... keep your current bike.

If you really want what the newer bike, and are ok with the couple thousand dollar cost diff, then get the new one.

worse case, you keep the old one, and it costs a couple thousand to fix so you only come out a tiny bit ahead dollarwise of the newer bike.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:27:52 PM »

Regardless of one’s views of going electric for politico/environmental reasons, all EVs have limitations. If one can fit your Mission, I see no reason to upgrade. If the ‘14 doesn’t owe you anything, you are way ahead of the game.  If you want to ride further afield on weekends, you probably just need to add an ICE to the fleet.  From my experience with a ‘15 SR, your range can drop instantly after a software change and you may never get it back. And do you really want to sit and wait for the Charge Tank to do its thing when you have one free day to cover some miles? I wouldn’t.  Writing this reply gives me motivation to get my Suzuki Cavalcade running again.  Best wishes.  -George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »

Thanks everyone. I think in the short term I'm going to do nothing. Let's see if I stop thinking about it...  I probably won't and you'll see another post on this topic telling you all what I've done.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:59 PM »

Delving off-topic a bit, I personally would recommend a Tesla Model 3 car for long range capability, safety, and value. The dual motor edition is supposedly tied i to air suspension and towing package; i.e. towing the EV motorbike, and making the best use of all machines. In 2016 when I bought my Zero DSR there was no better EV of any type for the money than a Zero S/DS. Today I think there are much better ways to spend money on production EV transportation.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »

Delving off-topic a bit, I personally would recommend a Tesla Model 3 car for long range capability, safety, and value. The dual motor edition is supposedly tied i to air suspension and towing package; i.e. towing the EV motorbike, and making the best use of all machines. In 2016 when I bought my Zero DSR there was no better EV of any type for the money than a Zero S/DS. Today I think there are much better ways to spend money on production EV transportation.

As much as I like the idea, I would advise waiting until the car is in production before recommending it. While they're cranking out 3s right now, none of them are dual motor or towing... yet.

For the price of a new zero, you could also buy your own fleet of used Leafs and leave them around the city.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:43:06 AM »

Well it appears I have a twin! I have been thinking that same question over for a while, I decided to keep my 2013 w/2016 battery and buy a cheap but reliable second bike, I opted for a GS 500, mainly because they are cheap to run/insure, I paid less than the rebate zero is offering on the 2017s, my kids are now old enough that I can take a day trip and not have a nasty wife when I get home!

My daughter owned a 1990 GS500E and put 85,000 miles on the bike within only 4 years while she was going to college.  Those are pretty tough bikes.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »

Well that's great to hear, I have so little invested in this bike, I'm just glad it came with a battery tender! The previous owner only put 1000km per year on it (2007) maybe some day Zero will get the prices down so I can justify a new one, with the CDN dollar being so low it would have been almost $30k for a DSR with power tank
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike
Pages: [1]